Speardiver carbon spearguns

• its a nice looking gun, however, that style line release will be an issue with many of divers i'm sure. I personally would not buy a gun with that line release. I woulda stuck with a traditional side or bottom s/s type. What happens if the diver wants to use a 1.5 or 2-wraps of mono? What about a breakaway setup (being that its a 120cm)? Doesn't look like it would hold very securely and pop off randomly.

• It looks nice. I like it. I don't see the point of having two wraps, I've always said it. Nobody can hit a fish at a two wraps distance with a rail gun. At least not with decent penetration power. On the other hand, It will not allow you to prevent a fish to hole when shot.

What's the price range? 250-300? Sizes? Availability?

I have a friend in Puerto Rico that is looking to buy a 110-120. This might be a nice alternative.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• It looks nice. I like it. I don't see the point of having two wraps, I've always said it. Nobody can hit a fish at a two wraps distance with a rail gun. At least not with decent penetration power.

I too believe this 100%, but i'm looking at it from a business standpoint- what the majority of divers will think, and what will SELL. A lot of newer divers will use a double-wrap no matter if its pointless. For myself personally, I use a 1.5 wrap on my 120cm because I run a breakaway for Jobbies, Wahoo, and Mahi. I don't think that line release style wouldn't hold my breakaway setup very securely. just my 2cents.

That line release reminds me of the Cressi Geronimo Pro. I know a guy that uses that gun and thats his #1 gripe with the gun (the line release). He said if the line isn't TIGHT or when the mono gets stretched out, it pops out from the part that you route under on the handle and the line comes off the line release.

• Something must be wrong with my eyes cause I don't see the double wrap you guys mention :confused1: . I think the gun looks great, I would buy it as it is. I am sure the handle without loading pad will also raise some concern from other divers.

That line release works fine all you need is a bungee or a reel to keep it tight. That being said I like side/bottom line release systems better.

Can you give us more barrel pictures? What wall thickness etc?

• Now that I have the pics up I can comment on the gun. The barrel is %100 carbon fiber with an incorporated track. I took this gun out for a dive on Tuesday. I was concerned that it will have too much flotation. I was pleasantly surprised that with the shaft in the gun floats about 1" below the water surface. Once you take it down below 2-3ft it sinks soooo slowly with a nose down attitude. There's room inside the hollow muzzle spigot to put some lead ballast if someone wants it to sink faster, I have a mold to make weights that fit inside it perfectly. I wouldn't change the balance though, it's really nice.

The muzzle, barrel, and handle tracks align perfectly. The shaft sits nice and tight at all points of the track. The gun is very light and maneuverable. It's also accurate. I didn't get too many chances on fish that day, but on the swim back I found a beer can on the bottom (not the one in the pics) and took a couple of long shots into it.

I agree with Marco. I was a die hard 2 wraps of line user. Then I took the time to really consider the distance involved. I used to measure distance to the target from the muzzle of the speargun. Now I measure distance from my eye to the target. IMO it's the only way to gauge the distance from which you can realistically take a shot. I found that with my wood 120cm gun there was no way I could hit something at the end of two wraps of line, so I reduced it to 1.5 wraps of line.

Now that I'm producing this pipe gun I reconsidered the whole thing again, because it's much more tricky to put a pin for 1.5 wraps of line in the middle of a carbon barrel than it is on a wood barrel. As I measured distances again I realized that hitting the target at the end of 1.5 wraps of line of a 120cm gun is almost as fictional as 2 wraps of line. It's just too far. With this 120cm gun the distance from my eye to the 2/3 mark on the shaft at the end of one wrap of line with my arm and gun outstretched is 23ft! Do you think you can hit something further than that? This is the beauty of a 120cm and longer speargun, you get great range and power, at the same time eliminating the drag and mess of more shooting line, decreasing loading time, and getting more leverage on the fish after the shot.

That said I initially rigged this carbon gun with 2 wraps of line, I will rig it that way again and post a pic. The line release has no problem holding on to two loops of 300lb mono, and does it securely. There are other alternatives for a line release. I find that most of the reliable ones work off a tab under the shaft. When pressure is put on the line release as the shooting line is wrapped tight around it, pressure is also put on the tab and this tends to raise the shaft off the track. Granted when you load the bands the shaft settles back into the track, but this has always been a point of annoyance to me. With the line release on this gun it's not a problem. Further, this line release works off the sear and is very simple and secure with zero possibility of sticking.

Another nice feature of this handle is the recessed push button safety. I'm not a fan of any kind of safety, but this one is neatly tucked out of the way with no chance being deployed unintentionally.

Adrian, I'll post a pic of the barrel cross section later, along with the wall thickness. This carbon barrel is very well made, and with two 16mm bands there is no flex.

The gun in the pics is with an H Dessault 7mm shaft. It is a good shaft but very expensive. I'm waiting for an shipment of Pursuit shafts which is what will actually come with the guns.

I only have 2 of these guns that I put together, both 120cm. One is what you see in the pics, the other has a smaller square pattern in the outer carbon fiber layer. I haven't figured out the pricing yet. But I'll sell these guns for $325 now http://freedivingspearfishingg…suit-carbon-speargun.html. I'm pretty sure they will be more expensive once I start producing them in quantity.

• Thank you for the details. I will say that those H. Dessault shafts work very well. I shot a few rocks with them in Puerto Rico and Key West and didn't have to sharpen them. I am sure the pursuit shafts will be just as good though. Its good to know the barrel can take 2 16 mm bands with no flex. Is it a round barrel? What about your gear bag, I am sure people would like to see those too.

• Yes you can remove the safety completely. But I don't recommend it, the safety is unobtrusive and there's zero chance of it deploying by itself. If you remove it you'll have an empty space where it used to be.

I think up to 140cm.

The coated shafts I sent you will not engage in this handle/mech. I've yet to try an RA shaft.

• I thought the pursuit shafts like the one on the picture was a spring steel shaft am I wrong? Do they work on this gun?