• You can put the regular Riffe shafts in a euro-X I think. On the regular euros you can only use euro styled shafts.
    My friend has a 120 euro and overall it looks pretty solid.

• I had a Riffe Euro and liked it better than all my other Riffes for freediving. I especially liked the different grip than "standard" Riffes. The Euro and Euro X grips are smaller and at a more relaxed angle than standard Riffes. To answer your question, standard Riffe shaft will fit the Riffe Euro X, but the Euro has a smaller diamiater shaft grove than the Euro X so that larger than 7mm shafts do not lay into the track. The limiting factor with Riffe shafts into the Euro is not the shape of the shaft /trigger end but the diamiter of the shaft.
    I would love to have a Euro with an enclosed track if Jay would make them. Hope this helps.
    hau

• Monster, I don't know which shafts fit which gun but here's my take on the Riffe euro. I think the competitor series are better guns. The only thing wrong with the competitor guns is the handle. Put a custom handle on it and it's almost a perfect gun. While the euro handle is better positioned and more ergonomic it is also too small, makes handling the gun/tracking by the handle difficult because you don't have leverage on the handle. This comes more into play the longer the gun gets.

The stock profile is just the competitor gun turned sideways. Since it is wider than it is tall when the bands are stretched they add to the sideways profile of the gun which is already wide and gripping the gun in the middle becomes difficult. By contrast when the bands are stretched on a competitor they make the profile rounder.

Also I just don't go for the easier tracking sales pitch. Maybe it's easier side to side but what about up and down? I think a competitor is a more versatile gun, will take any shaft without a problem, and I'd prefer it if I had a choice. I'd just put a custom handle on it.

• I had a Riffe´s 120 Euro and now i got it back :) I like the gun but i tried to fit a R.A. Shaft on it and it was impossible, didn´t fit the trigger mech. ( I used my Viper´s R.A. Shaft) I formerly traded the Riffe Euro for a 22 cal rifle, but i trade it back to the same guy. I need to get it wet now ...

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• It looked like the shaft never fully left the gun. It's seems it's been a long time since I shot something big. Have fun with your gun. But remember a speargun's like a girl you broke up with, if it didn't work once it's not going to work again :D

• http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=wH4oEQrkAsc

Nice vid of the same model gun in action...

43 lb fish my ass. :nono:

I dont know if its me but the gun looks super weak. The band setup maybe? The spear should have exited that fish at that close distance shoudlnt it? A 10ft shot shot at the same place probably woudlnt have penetrated. I know if i shot that fish, the spear would have easily cleared it. Its probably an incorrect band setup.

• If those are two 14mm bands then yeah it's a bit weak. I use two 16mm bands. But not clearing the fish is not such a bad thing. I don't like to have the fish on the mono, I feel I have better leverage on a big fish if it's on the spear. In this case it may have hit a vertebrae, still it was a good holding shot. I think that at 10' from the target the spear would have carried enough momentum with at least a 7mm shaft and therefore had the same punch.

• At far distance, that spear would have bounced off. 10ft or over.

I know having the fish on the spear is better but there will come a time where a trophy fish will come barely within shooting range and i want a gun that will take it down. Ill keep untangling my fish on the line just so that one day i will get that fish barely within shooting distance.

But you are right, i think the bands are 14mm.

• I wouldn´t dare to shoot a grouper that big with a 6.5 mm shaft. I had bearely stoned a 50 pound grouper with a (lucky) spine shot with 3 5/8s and a 5 16 shaft. The tip popped a cervical bone up, but didn´t went through the fish. There is no way i had shot that with a Euro gun.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• 7mm shaft is a minimum for big fish and it carries some momentum/punch. Anything less would bounce off on a far shot. My understanding is that a Riffe euro will take a 7mm shaft and I know it will take two 16mm bands. I'd shoot that big grouper with that for sure.

• 7mm shaft is a minimum for big fish and it carries some momentum/punch. Anything less would bounce off on a far shot. My understanding is that a Riffe euro will take a 7mm shaft and I know it will take two 16mm bands. I'd shoot that big grouper with that for sure.

Mine is suited for 6.5 or 6.7 mm shafts, anything bigger and it will be on top of the " U" track. My dear friend Sergio Shimomoto, managed to rig a shaft for me to get bigger fishes. It´s a Slip tip set up with an ol´jbl slip tip, didn´t got anything with it yet though ... it has a Hawaiian break away too, and cable rigging.