Return of the Mack----O!

• Yes, the Mack is Back. Mako that is. We took it out twice over the last few days.

On Tuesday, we took it out to clear out the carbs and take a quick dip. We ended up with a cooler full of fish despite next to nothing viz down deep, but workable surface clarity within the first 25 or so feet. We nailed about 5-6 Kings up to 25 pounds, a nice Cobia by JC, half a dozen Spanish and Emil's whopping Tripletail. Unfortunately, the starter gave out at the end of the day and Boat Tow US brought us home. Emil and I worked on a few details on Friday including putting in a new starter. We took it out again yesterday with even poorer conditions. Viz sucked all down the water column with a whopping 5-7 foot viz down below with a pecular current. The surface was murky along with a good chop and North current made diving almost unbearble...welcome to the Treasure Coast.:rolleyes1:.

That being said, I managed a nice Gag and Permit along with a few sheepshead. Once Emil sends me the pictures, I'll post them.

• In my early 20's I dabbled in the sign business. Those decals are pretty easy to make. It's cut out of a vinyl sheet of the color of your choice with one side having the adhesive. The cutter is expensive but much less expensive today than 20 years ago. I'm sure it can be bought today for under a grand. Then it just hooks up to your PC and you can make it cut anything you design on the computer. If you ever have to do something like that again remember to use a drop of dish washing liquid in a spray bottle full of water and a squeegee to apply the sticker. This allows repositioning it a few times and effectively get out any air bubbles, just like window tint.

Anyways back to the fish :)

• Rolo,

I miss going out on the "Mata Ronco" as it was once called.;)

Hey Julo, we missed you on here. I was going to call you soon as I had not seen you logged on for some time. Glad to see you back on board. It is still the Mata Ronco. Always has, always will be:).

Here's a few of the pictures. We did not get any photos of the fish from Tuesday.

• That's a beautiful gag. Nice when you get a stone shot like that and there are no scratches on the fish at all. And that other silver fish is nice too :)

Julio, I miss your stories about the secret spot.

• Nice Rolo, good to see you getting out. Ana & I spent Saturday in the hospital with some false labour... :( Any day now...

• I've been meaning to ask you for a while Gerald. I remember when the same happened to us. The difference was that my wife was already a couple of weeks overdue. So they gave her some drug to force the contractions and it didn't work. Then they broke her water and basically forced the birth.

Wishing you the best.

• WTG Rolo :thumbsup2:
    I would of thought the viz would of been at it's best this weekend but I guess it wasn't that great off of PSL.

• WTG Rolo :thumbsup2:
    I would of thought the viz would of been at it's best this weekend but I guess it wasn't that great off of PSL.

Predicting viz here is like predicting lotto numbers. There is just no rhyme or reason. We thought for sure we would get decent viz on Saturday, particularly after it was fairly clear the top 30' on Tuesday and it was laying low for the remainder of the week leading up to Saturday. On Saturday, despite going out in peak high tide, we found crappy viz. There is just no way of predicting ground swells and incoming thermoclines that only bring brown water with it. That is compounded with The Army of Engineers still releasing fresh water from Lake O through the estauries and via the St. Lucie River and Inlets. The stream up here is alot further off shore than it is down south. We can go out 7 miles and still be in less than 100'.

• Here is a pic of the tripletail. Getting ready to go H&L fishing with the wife at Sebastian Inlet State Park or I would chat more. I hear there are monster bull redfish, flounder and snook being caught on the outgoing tide. Let you all know how it goes tomorrow.

• Predicting viz here is like predicting lotto numbers. There is just no rhyme or reason. We thought for sure we would get decent viz on Saturday, particularly after it was fairly clear the top 30' on Tuesday and it was laying low for the remainder of the week leading up to Saturday. On Saturday, despite going out in peak high tide, we found crappy viz. There is just no way of predicting ground swells and incoming thermoclines that only bring brown water with it. That is compounded with The Army of Engineers still releasing fresh water from Lake O through the estauries and via the St. Lucie River and Inlets. The stream up here is alot further off shore than it is down south. We can go out 7 miles and still be in less than 100'.

:0 I thought it was like Pompano, which had the gulf stream close to shore.

• Nice fish Emil. I've never seen anything like it, not even in photos. If I saw one I'd really want to shoot it. It doesn't come across like a very fast or skittish fish. Is it a matter of if you see one you have him?

• Very nice fish guys! I was surprised to find out that we also have tripletails here in PR! Very nice gag Rolo! I haven't posted lately due to the internet being down for quite some time....yes, I did pay the bill!:D. That and I've been with the flu and the weather has been shitty. Anyways, my 10' RIB is almost ready to go so I'll be venturing to the outside reefs soon. Will keep you posted.

P.S. Rolo and Gerald, good luck with the babies!...."Rolito el Buzo"!;)

• Nice fish Emil. I've never seen anything like it, not even in photos. If I saw one I'd really want to shoot it. It doesn't come across like a very fast or skittish fish. Is it a matter of if you see one you have him?

Pretty much. These fish are bold and curious. Once hooked or speared they are relatively fast but they don't exhibit any desire to flee until they are in trouble. There were 5 or six of these fish in the bunch and this was the largest of them. There was another one with it that was of equal size and as I brought the speared one to my hands it just stared at me from a distance that seemed to be only about an arms length. The speared fish fought well for it's size and once I had him in my hands I got careless and it bit one of my fingers. Tough little buggers....some might classify their behavior as "dumb" but the way I see it they are perfectly equipped for the life they lead.....the fact that their behavior doesn't favor them when encountering speardivers says nothing about their intelligence. BTW the flesh and yield on these fish is outstanding...meat looks and tastes like the finest of snapper and the fillets are super thick.

Julio thanks for the compliment...we though of you often as we scanned over huge schools of macks....reminded us of our Ft Pierce outing with you. A picture to follow to bring back the memory.