outboard inflatable yak

• hau, I tried something similar, a friend of mine had one. We went out one time from the beach. Absolute garbage, too much drag. We hardly made headway I was cursing the whole way and wanted to dump the POS and swim to shore.

• seahunter49- I agree, I have been on/seen most that were POS. I am excited because hopefully this one is not a POS like almost all the others have been. I have spent hours/days/weeks working on inflatables/RIBs and those inflatable problems is the reason that I use a SOT plastic yak now.:)

PS. For those of you so inclined, girls prefer inflatables. They also prefer nonRIB. Been there, done that ;)many times. Caution, make sure that the suntan lotion that you apply to the little lady is not to hard to scrub off the boat later.:D
    hau

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited once, last by hau ().

• The one we used was a Sevylor. I'm not sure it was the exact same model because it was black but it did come in that black bag. What happened was that since the yak is not rigid when you sit in it your weight breaks the form of the yak. This is really pronounced when you have two people on it which is a joke. The thing bends like an air mattress and creates lots of drag. I understand it looks slick in the pic. Try to find a way to try before you buy.

This one looks more rigid http://www.saturninflatableboats.com/kayaks.asp You could get a smaller motor, hide it in the yak and still be able to do a beach start :)

• in my personal opinion kayaks are a real POS. they usually become oversized floats and are not much

more respected than a float by boaters. you are better off swimming out.

the good ones are the SOT models, however they become a real bitch to unload and carry around.

If you do not want to make a huge investment buy a small boat or a RIB,or make friends with people who own a boat.

a friend of mine has a good kayak and recently bought a boat, not to deal with that shit anymore.

again this is my biased, personal opinion.

• Yaks have a place. The main problem is the hassle of carrying it to the water and back. If a balance is struck between lightness/size and maneuverability it can be a useful tool when no other option exists to get to a particular point 2 miles of shore for example. Very useful when the area is such that there's a long distance of non productive bottom to traverse to get to a very live spot. It would be even better if two people each with a kayak team up. They can help each other with the loading and unloading of the boats. I got rid of mine which was an ocean kayak scupper pro, it was just too heavy for me to deal with. If I had no friends with boats and no means to buy even a small RIB I'd consider getting another yak but would make a more educated purchase this time.

• What's up alan? you never mentioned anything about going out on a ski :D

"hey ovang, wanna sell the cat and buy another ski" :laughing3:

• Rolo- with all due respect.:) Another major disadvantage of an inflatable is the windage. Windage is a sailboat term that measures the amount of hull above water that the wind can exert force onto. Inflatables have much more windage or surface area that the wind can exert force onto. Good if you have a tail wind, bad if you're trying to go up or cross wind. Windage is why I do not just measure current speed by laying the GPS on the yak. Many times water current speed/direction is not the same as surface wind speed/direction. Just my opinion though.:)

seahunter49--I agree about the heavy part. Without my highfloat beach sand yak cart I could never manage to even get to the beach. Rolling the yak up hill through the sand is the hardest part of my dive. I wish I had been on this forum before you sold your yak, I could have built you a beach sand yak cart like mine. I have a friend that uses the same launch/beach site. He begs/pays a beachgoer to help carry his yak to and from his truck. And he has all that scuba gear to carry.:(

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited 5 times, last by hau ().

• What's up alan? you never mentioned anything about going out on a ski :D

"hey ovang, wanna sell the cat and buy another ski" :laughing3:

whats up hubert, spearfishing on a ski is very doable. I m sure it also has many advantages to

boat diving, although right now i cant remember any:rolleyes1::)

• monster slayer,
    I do not have any trouble getting back onboard, one time I even went up and over back into the drink on the other side.
    I leave my fins on till after I am on. I tie the gun to the other side and duck under to the other side {port{
    I kick hard and turn as I go up so that I land with my butt in the seat. Now I{m sitting sideways on the yak with my fins in the water. If quiting for the day I put everything away and take my fins and mask off last. That way if I drop something into the water or a wave rolls me I still have my fins on to retrieve the item before it is lost. This is just what I do that works great for me.
    Hope this helps.
    hau