Nautilus NS carbon fins AKA Leader fins

• I have never tried Speardiver, but I have tried the Leaderfins. My lasting impression of the Leaderfins is that they were very heavy and I do a lot of shore diving and ended up selling them.

• Several months ago, I was at Nautilus and asked Andrew about the difference between the NS blades and the leaderfin blades. He told me that the NS series are made by leaderfins, but they have a higher ratio of carbon fiber to resin than the leaderfin carbons. Something like 15% if I remember right.

Several months ago, I was at Nautilus and asked Andrew about the difference between the NS blades and the leaderfin blades. He told me that the NS series are made by leaderfins, but they have a higher ratio of carbon fiber to resin than the leaderfin carbons. Something like 15% if I remember right.

I keep hearing that about Leaderfins that I think was an error in translation that keeps getting thrown around. The Carbon and Fiberglass are both "fibers". The epoxy used to wet it out is the "resin".

If they had to adjust the amount of "resin" they're using by 15%, their quality control issues are way beyond anything Dan has alluded to. :@

• too late... i think im ganna head up to Dan 2morro if he is around and just buy the damn things.

What model do u have Ronny? i remember yours looking different than Brian's C90's.

• After speaking with Andrew, this is in fact what I was trying to say. Leaderfin carbons have a 50/50 ratio of carbon fiber to fiberglass, whereas the NS blades are 60/40, making it 10% difference as opposed to the 15% I originally mentioned. My understanding is this production option is not currently available, but will be again in the future. IMO, since there is a difference in the two blades, a change in price is justified.. whether the increase in performance that comes from that extra 10% is worth $25 is up to the customer.

• It's $40 difference not $25, and more attempted deception by Nautilus/Andrew. Just check out this spearboard thread for the proof Leaderfins Carbon Blades Clearout - Spearboard Spearfishing Community

Post #5

Are these 100% carbon? Do you have other pictures of the full blade or the model name if any? Thank you and great prices.

Tiburon these blades are something like an 80% carbon and composite mix, not many if any blades in the market are true 100% and honestly you won't even notice. The full model name is the wave carbons I believe, I'll try and get a full picture up tomorrow. Thanks!

From %50 carbon to %80 carbon, it should be clear now that Nautilus' statements are not reliable.

• I think what your trying to relay is a higher percentage of carbon fiber to fiberglass. The Leaderfins are made up of a couple layers of fiberglass sandwiched between two (or more) pieces of carbon fiber. Varying the fiber to resin ratio will also adjust the properties of the composite but in a different way than changing the type of fiber. If the NS blades actually have a higher percentage of carbon then they should provide better performance than the "regular" Leaderfins. It would also be justification for a price difference.

The fiber to resin ratio is more a result of the manufacturing technique than anything. Hand laid composites will have a slightly higher ratio of resin to fiber than a vacuum layup. Generally you want less resin and more fiber.

• Need I need to say it? BS.

I then pledge to any one person with NS blades, to come come to me and I'll exchange the NS blades for Pursuit carbon blades. Then break the NS blades and show you exactly how much carbon is in there.

Does this mean i should go buy some NS blades before stopping by to save me some $???? :D :D :D

im jk...

• That sounds like a plan to me.
    Nice job on the -5 too.