Buying a reel

• I've finally got the Competitor 3X... btw it was $333 with tax at Divers Direct, almost $100 off retail. I bought a floatline for my RA 120, and want to get a reel for the 3X.

Whats a good reel for under $150 thats not going to affect the way the gun floats/sinks too much?

• I signed up at the store for their "customer rewards" thing, or you can sign up online?? I got an email saying all riffes were - off their already lowered prices, so I did an exchange and instead of $425 after taxes it was $333.

• I'm also using a reel because I tried using the floatline when I went out sunday and let me say..... with these people :frustrated1:.

I cannot use a floatline (A.K.A. I have an extremly short temper) when I'm diving with people that insist on tangling themselves in my floatline every fifteen minutes.

So the Riffe is now my shallow water (40 feet and shallower) gun, and the RA is my deeper water gun where the :pot2::drink3::pot1::tequila: divers cant dive.

• The rounded bottom of the riffe makes it hard to attach any good reel. You basically have only 1 option if you do not want to do some woodwork on the gun or make an adapter for it. That is a riffe reel, which also happens to be one of the most expensive reels around. The riffe reel is a really good reel and is my 2nd favorite reel.

Davie Peguero

• It looks from the pics like the bottom of the riffe is more of an elliptical shape, and not fully rounded like the bottom of a circular rail gun barrel.

Nobody makes an aftermarket adapter that fits the bottom of a Riffe and allows the mounting of other reels?

• I bought a $120 Riffe reel, and its absolute shit. I'm gonna return it tommorow, it feels like it cost $2.75 to make and the drag blows. Are all speargun reels garbage? I'm used to nice fishing reels, so am I wrong when I think that when I crank the drag down, it shouldnt be harder to reel in the line?

• You have the line on backwards. That is a common mistake with the riffe reels. That riffe is actually one of the nicest on the market. Expect bigger crap if you switch to another reel.

In actuality all reels have a drag in both directions except the riffe. That is what makes the riffe leading edge.

Think of a speargun reel as a compact line storage device not as a fishing reel. All it does is hold line and provides a small amount of drag, not to fight the fish but to prevent the line from birdnesting on you.

In no way it is like a fishing reel. You are not supposed to reel a fish in or fight a fish with it. You could hurt yourself badly if you try to do so. The handle on the reel is to reel back in the line after you have killed the fish and took it off your shaft.

Davie Peguero

Edited 4 times, last by seaweed ().

• Ya I know your not suppossed fight it like a fishing reel. But the reel is also basically a Mares... Inspecting carfully they appear to of had Mares make the reels, and Riffe just put a sticker over it.

Also looking online I found someone on a forum that posted something about the Mares/Riffe thing... to me it just feels crappy, not solid at all, I did feel the one that your probally talking about (cost around $220) and it felt pretty good and sturdy.

• Yeah that mares one is crap, I thought you bought the $220 one which you can actually get for $130. By the way return that mares, they cost only $60.

Davie Peguero

• I cannot use a floatline (A.K.A. I have an extremly short temper) when I'm diving with people that insist on tangling themselves in my floatline every fifteen minutes.

dude you are too funny:laughing3:, that happens alot when you cross each other in the water

• Yeah you're right. The stringer makes a difference too and also how you string the fish. Streamlining your rig not only eliminates tangles with other divers but also reduces drag.

It's strange how whenever I dive with someone who doesn't have a float fish magically swim themselves onto my stringer. Those funny fish must think it's OK because I like the extra exercise I get from the added drag :manup: