Buying a reel

• It's strange how whenever I dive with someone who doesn't have a float fish magically swim themselves onto my stringer.

Come on, I only did that once as you were getting in the boat to trick you, you never pulled that fish around. It was supposed to be a "I dont remeber getting this fish" not a "I'm not your mule you lazy bastard" moment.

Davie Peguero

• LOL what makes you think I was talking about you? I don't even remember that time. Trust me there were many other times and the truth is I don't remember one name of all the guys that did it. Knowing you you're joking anyways :D Today it doesn't bother me so much because of the rule I go by. If I see fish on my stringer that I didn't shoot and I didn't have an agreement with another diver that one float will carry all the fish then those fish are mine. Diver A diver B sort of thing ;) I would be more easy going about it but these float line vs reel discussions took their toll.

• Yeah that mares one is crap, I thought you bought the $220 one which you can actually get for $130. By the way return that mares, they cost only $60.

Where can I get the $220 reel for $130?

• Which is the cheap Riffe/Mares reel and which is the more expensive better Riffe reel? Both reels below are available at scubas world, $127 and $140.

Like I said I don't know much about reels but the design of the 1st Riffe reel to me seems more robust than the Rob Allen plastic reel for example. I know of the RA reel breaking at the point where the post joins the mounting bracket. The reason being that there's not much meat there to hold it. Possibly this design flaw is common to all lighter horizontally mounted reels.

• The horizontal reel is brand new in the past couple of months, it looks like it has the potential for jamming.

$220 Riffe reel at scubasworld in Hialeah is 127.

If you go to the store there will probably be a higher price tell them to give you the online price. At the store they have omer reel line for 12 cents a foot, but you can get better line online for $30 a 180 ft roll. The roll is braided spectra in yellow or orange and comes in different thicknesses 1.75mm, 2mm or 2.2mm. Yellow one is called zing-it and orange one is called fling-it. They are throwlines designed for tree climbers but it works well for reels.

Davie Peguero

• Seeweed - Do you have a favorite online source for that line?

www.blueridgearboristsupplies.com They have all sizes of fling it and zing it available and best prices I've researched. These lines are called throwlines, if you want to do an online search you get better results searching for throwlines instead of the name of the line. Shipping was $5.50 they are in VA.

http://wesspur.com/ also has it and you can select usps shipping for $6. They are in WA.

Davie Peguero

Edited 2 times, last by seaweed ().

• seaweed,
    Wow, another great contribution to this forum from you. This time about this reel and line. Thank you!

seaweed, what is your favorite reel?

The reel Marco introduced looks good, but I could not find much information on their web site about details.
    If Marco like that reel it must be good.

too shallow, I use the new RA composite reel on my RA 130. I works OK, but I do not like the drag and drag knob,
    and would be happier if the crank handle folded down like the Omer 50? But like others have said, a gun reel is mainly just a line storage
    device. Where did you buy the reel yesterday? Maybe they will exchange it for another

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited once, last by hau ().

• Okay I've got the nice Riffe reel now... but how do I mount it onto the Competitor, I see it was ready for the Euro because the mounting bracket is flat, but my gun has a rounded stock.

Is there a modification that I need to make, and how should I go about drilling holes into the gun?

• You'll need a piece of wood, plastic or aluminum that looks something like this.

Where the flat part is the same size as the bracket on the reel and the concave part fits the profile of the bottom of the Riffe gun. Simply drill into the stock and use stainless steel screws to fasten. Make sure you don't drill through the track on the top.

• I think he got this one.

You just screw it wherever you like it best. First mark the holes through the reel with a marker. Drill a correct size and depth pilot hole (use hardwood size) for the correct screw then put in a screw. You want to wet the screw with teak oil or just water if you dont have any oil. This helps reduce friction and makes it go in easier. I think I used #10 1 inch round head stainless steel wood screws from west marine. Don't get the flush head screws, these are the ones shown below in the table, dont get those. West marine are just about the only people that carry stainless steel screws. Drive it in a couple of turns then back it out if you feel alot of resistance and rewet the screw. This way you prevent breaking the screw in the gun.

Davie Peguero

Edited 4 times, last by seaweed ().

• I like the tip about the oil or water on the screw. If the head breaks off you are pretty much screwed :D To know which size drill bit to use I first select the screw then superimpose the bit over the screw. I want to see just the tips of the screw ridges on either side of the bit.

• This is the reel that I got

So Riffe doesnt make a part for a reel that they say will fit "all" of their guns? I have to fabricate my own? Oh well

• Reminds me of something that happened to me with one of my first cars. One day I was doing some brake work and it occurred to me that the studs for the wheel lug nuts were rather rusty and the lug nuts went on with difficulty. So before putting the wheel back on I greased up the studs nicely. The lug nuts sure went on smoothly. Some time later on a long drive I heard rattling from the wheels. Took a look and they were loose, all the lug nuts backed off on their own :dumb:

• So Riffe doesnt make a part for a reel that they say will fit "all" of their guns? I have to fabricate my own? Oh well

From Riffe website http://www.speargun.com/new.htm#NFHREEL

Mounts on all RIFFE spearguns as well as other manufacture's that feature similar barrel shapes. Flat and radial base adapters available.