New to Spearfishing

• Hello all, I am new to the sport, already got all the gear, heading to Corolla NC, first week of may this year
    so i need any/all advice i can get, would like to meet up with anyone,(locals) that needs a spearfishing
    partner, or wants to show a newby how its done, i am willing to learn it all,and any advice would be great//thanks guys/from Warren, ohio//mark

• Welcome.

Do you have any experience at all spearing? Have you been freediving before?

I'll warn you now, this is a very addictive sport, very!

Dive safe bro.

C

• Addictive indeed, in Ohio i believe we can only spear, forage fish, like carp, sheephead so it will
    be awsome to hunt for some dinner. Have done alot of research online about freediving and spearing
    but havent done it yet, gonna ask alot of questions, i am a scuba diver adv/nitrox, but this freedive
    is more my style/thanks for reply, and dive safe for sure/mark

• I new here in ct to in I wan to be in that sport if someone local wan to meer me for spearfishing I have a litter experiense I do it before in puerto rico. Thanks.

• Welcome Mark.

My suggestion to you as a new hunter/freediver, is to get right with your gear before you worry about pulling the trigger. Subtle nuscances that you might be able to put up with on scuba will compound dramatically while freediving. You need to be comfortable. Your mask, fins, snorkel and wetsuit should not cause you any discomfort or inconvenience.

When you are finally able to make it out on a trip with some experienced hunters, you will learn much more than you can imagine by just observing them. Learning how to approach fish will be your biggest asset. Shooting them is the easy part. Getting in range is a whole different game.

• Thank you john for the good advice, gonna learn all i can, hope i can shoot some big fish, like in your
    pics, awsome//mark

• The big fish will come. Start small and work your way up. You would be surpised at how strong even a 20lb amberjack can be, when you're in it's element.

• Welcome Drags. I believe there are a couple of wrecks near the beach in Corolla. I've never dove them though. I've lived on the Outer Banks my whole life and have yet to go to Corolla. Kind of sad. For gear bring a 75cm speargun or a polespear the wrecks are probably fishy, murky, and on the shallow side so bring a little extra weight for your belt. If you need anything including advice check out the Roanoke Island Outfitters. They have a bunch of spearing gear and are cool people. They are in Manteo. Good luck and hope you get some clear water.