Duskydiver Fish Reports

• Looks like an awesome trip, cool pics. I like the 'keep the stinky fish behind the transom' approach, wish I could do that. :thumbsup2:

• okay here is the proper report.

Al, has a very nice Dusky that manages to be both a comfort vessl and a fully functional fish killing machine. Al is a good capt and a gracious host.

We launched from the Miami area and our first plan was to anchor and work areas arounnd the boat. this was a sound idea except for the fact that we did not account for the full moon and the current was hauling ASS. Scott and I both had to remov weight because of how tired we were feeling on ascent.

Stephen boated his grouper within minutes of arriving and set the excited tone but the fish did not seem to be around our first spot.

we moved to a second spot to find no fish and the harshest shallow water thermocline i have ever encountered...my watch showed a 8 degree temp drop at 22 ft down and we were not dressed for it.

Aspetto was impossible for me...after fighting the current and hitting the freezing water i had not chance of getting comfortable at 30-35' and zoning in. the vis was good enough that you could easily see structure but not fish hiding from the surface. lots of 15-25' scouting dives as i flew passed the reef were proving to be a waste of time because i would see something and then have to haul ass back and have no breath...it was taxing and annoying us all...some how Al kept finding nice 11 and 12" mangroves and bagging them...as we discussed, for anyone with a deep fryer, they are th ebest fish in the ocean.

we wised up and started to drift dive. the current allowed us to cover a lot of ground and we were fortunate as the drift lined up perfectly with the main line of reef.

Lots of macs who knew the game were teasing us..i saw and chased a nice king for way too long :( and tons of small and just legal hogs were seen and enjoyed from a far...

I got back into the water after my turn in the boat and was greeted with my first cuda sighted of the day... i LOVE a 24" cuda and will eat them up too 30", this guy was bigger than i thought.
    My rule with toothy creatures is you shoot so the shaft exits closer to the head than it enters, basically, from behind the fish, so you can steer the head. This fish was on the bottom staring directly at me. I figured it was an easy kill shot so just go for it. I shoot and do NOT stone him, yay. the shaf it now entering the top of his head and exiting just behind the gills

i have no floatline on and only 200lb mono shooting line so i have to play this careful to not los the fish, shaft or me :) he horses me down and about 10 feet when stephen shoots his slightly bigger brother who came in to check the commotion. I get to the tail and then gill grab him and I toss my fish to Al.
    Then I swam to help stephen un tangle himself, two 36"'+ cudas in the boat.

I was scouting fish for scott as the guys dealt with the two cudas on the deck and we were not having much luck...Al tossed me my gun and I was just greeted with a huge 5' + cuda cruising the bottom...annoyed that i just shot a NON eater and not going to even try without a float line, I smile and let him cruise on.

Annoyed by the thremo I was basically making my way to the boat with about 100 yards to cover..I was looking for cracks and saw one i liked and dove on it, empty, but it has another side...bingo...i see this big dumb head looking fish at me and thought it might be a goliath juvi because his pec fins were out and flared , i did the one hand out to the side move, no broomtail, SPROING!!! right in the eye....I horsed him right out of the ledge because i was not goign to do ten dives into he freezing water to get him out...it worked and he was spun around and ran right into the reef, grip or death on the gills and call the boat.

we decided we were tired and headed for the docks.

Stephen and i gave the cudas away to some eager dock guys...good luck, i am sure it was safe and delicious

thanks again Al

i like to spear fish

Edited once, last by LunkerBuster ().

• It's been awhile... Some of you may know I lost my last gas tank (spare) which was fiberglass made 20 years ago by dusky. Spider cracks happen after 20 years I guess and the leak was untraceable. Long story short I found a great fiberglass guy, got a custom tank from Sunshine marine here in Florida and 3 weeks later we was done. Things a beaut..wish I took some pics but u can't tell anything was even done. also new gas cap location so I have more capacity and so I dont have to kick everyone out of there seats to fuel up.

Went out yesturday was beautiful weather glass flat.. shot a full tropical bag (everything but a Mac)...my friend who's a Su* chef at a few high end restaurants made this delicious meal.