Diving with a couple new friends

• These two guys are the pilots of the private jet that a friend of my boss flew into Belize on this last week.
    They both live in Florida but have never spearfished. The light haired guy grew up there and fished his whole life.
    I got them out to some nice spots and saw pretty much fish. I missed a couple nice ones.....had something in my eye....:D
    I saw the big school of dogs inside the cut, which is unusual. But the vis was only about 20 feet and they would disappear. I dropped down to the bottom at about 40 feet and waited.....and a 12-15 lb cubera came up....and i missed. Shit. haha.

But we got to Long Caye and found the school of snappers. I got the dog and then three sharks showed up and were cruising around below among the fish. I did some more dives and every time they would come in close and even follow me back to the surface. I didn't shoot anymore.
    Went to the next spot and Jody shot his first fish. Nice hog. He was so stoked. Said his buddies in FL all spear and have been trying to get him into it.
    They guys are going back to FL to buy guns. They're stoked. Ya man....

Edited once, last by hank ().

• Hank,

We have a mutual friend "Jorge" . I went and saw the cobia operation a few years ago and had some plans to dive but it just never worked out.
    I am up in San Pedro and have the spear fishing bug again.
    Used to live in San Diego and go out a bit.
    Are you out of Dangrega ?

• You mean THIS "jorge"? Yeah, he's a good friend and diver.

Yeah, I live about 10 miles north of Dangriga at Paradise Shrimp Farm off the Coastal Rd. Right next to Mullins River. I launch my boat in our sea water supply canal for the farm.

I got an email from Jorge today. He's coming here May 10. Said he wanted to surprise me. He sure as hell did. I'm leaving on May 12 for the Philippines and Thailand. I hope to see him on the 11th.

I shot a cobia Sunday. I think it might have been an escapee from the farm. It was big too. Maybe 40 plus lbs. I hit it with a solid shot behind the head and let it bleed for about 5 minutes just swimming around me for a while. A LOT of blood came out. I slowly brought it up and when I touched the shaft, it jumped up out of the water. My flopper had come loose and didn't stick open. I always tune them before going out. I guess it bent out when he first pulled after I shot him, and it laid down flat on the shaft. As the fish fell back in the water, he just slipped off.
    Shit, I was bummed. If I had lost as much blood as that fish did, I would have died...I think. I couldn't believe he was still so strong to jump out of the water.
    I emailed Jorge to tell him about "his" cobia...haha. And he told me he's coming.

Edited 2 times, last by hank ().

• I'll tell Jorge you said so. :)

He's in Viet Nam. Both my best buddies....Jorge and my son are in SE Asia right now. But Jake is coming back soon.

I meant the oneyou were holding in the first picture from 3 days ago,, what kind is it a dog?

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• That Jorge, Yes

Dam! on the Cobia

A friend just got a wahoo today (rod and Reel ) on the north end of the island. 25 lbs.
    I woulld like to go hunt up there in the months to come.

Ill be free next month (June)

• Hank, sorry I didn't acknowledge your loss, so yes you did fail miserably :atongue: Your story's good because it felt like I lived that moment. For me the ones that got away make for the most poignant memories. It's always unfortunate though to lose a fish when you know it's not going to make it.

• I meant the oneyou were holding in the first picture from 3 days ago,, what kind is it a dog?

oops. Yes, t's a dog. We have quite a few spots where schools of them hang out.

Dan, I did fail and I did replay that fish in my mind about 50 times that night lying in bed. "if I had done this, or that....blah blah...." haha.
    The one in my avatar came right up to Jake and me and he shot....hit it good, then I shot about 2 seconds later.
    That helps a lot...I just wasn't prepared for it to launch out of the water like that.

• i agree, that story was awesome...and the escapee's are the best stories...i intend to break my mutton curse this weekend...if not..I'll have some awful stories to share:)

i like to spear fish

• Mutton curse? They are very wary when they get "educated".
    Have you hit some that tore off? Or no luck getting close?
    If it helps at all, I have the best luck with them hiding on the bottom. Even if I have spooked them a bit and they swam off, if I can find a spot nearby to lay and hide, they come back a lot of times. It has tested my breath hold limits.

• hahaha, my mutton curse is all about freak luck..i have two tear off, but not from the shaft, one from a stringer?!?!?! and one when the tip on my old AB BILLER unscrewed and left with the fish.

I shot one and the spear bounced off a rock behind the fish and popped straight out of the fish

I shot one and it spun off the shaft after a tail shot (he was swimming away and I took the last possible shot) This one burns the most because i knew he was hurt bad but could not find him...fortunately, my buddy scott found him just laying in the sand breathing and grabbed him by hand...glad he ended up on a plate :)

they taunt and mock me

thanks for that tip though...hopefully it makes the difference

i like to spear fish

• Headed out to the Wahoo grounds in the morning. Don’t think I’ll have time to get my gun together. Needs new bands and don’t have the right cord .Knots keep slipping. Was not a planned trip. Might be confined to rod and reel, BLAAA.

I’ll keep you all posted