Tin Man's crab boil

• Crab boils are one of my favorite ways to waste an afternoon, and some of my fondest memories as a kid on the northern Gulf coast. For 18-20 nice blue crabs, we bring a pot of saltwater to a boil, and add a bit of vinegar and hot seasoning to taste. Add small red "new potatoes" and boil for ten minutes. Then add corn on the cob and blue crabs and boil it all for ten more minutes. Turn off the heat and let is sit for a few more minutes if you want it to absorb more spice. Then take it all out, spread it over a big picnic table, and eat. Plenty of meat in the claws and body, but I don't mess with the legs.

Not a "high yield" as you would say, but a nice way to eat a SLOW paced meal out on the dock. Picking the meat out takes a little time, so it's mostly a social thing.

- Discard the water.

Thanks for the food and good times recipe T man :toast:

• I've had this before except with shrimp and crab. It's easy and feeds a bunch of people. I wouldnt mind doing it with lobsters on the beach with buddies.

Davie Peguero

• I'd imagine it's legal where they have grills, mainly at parks like john u lloyd, dania, or hugh birch.

Davie Peguero

• Couple more notes. The vinegar is just to make the crab meat a little easier to remove from the shells. We don't use it for shrimp, and you may not need it for lobster. Also, the corn will absorb spice faster than the potatoes or crab, so don't overdue the spice.

We just use Zatarain's crab/shrimp boil seasoning, but many here have their own secret recipes. Most involve the addition of onions, lemons, or oranges and beer.

Edited once, last by Guest ().

• In the broader sense of national advertising, Cajun cooking usually just means "hot". If you are ever fortunate enough to dine with a native Acadian, though, you will find that the food is not overwhelmingly spicy. It's got a kick, to be sure, but it's more than just adding Tobasco sauce and cayenne peppers.

• I can just picture Justin Wilson saying: "whooooo....that some good cookin' right there!..and then taking a huge sip of wine.

• WOW i have never run into this thread. But now that i have experience this Tin Man's Boiled crab. I can tell you yeah is a little hot. But man is just to damn good. Spending an afternoon sittin in the dock making a mess eating boiled shrimps, Boiled crabs. Corn and small red potatoes. Is a blast. Drinking a cerveza . Damn that happen couple of months ago. and i'm ready for more. So Tin Man where do i sign up for next time;). I was raised eating this type of meals but we dont make it spicy or boiled the veggies with the same water.. If i only knew that the spieces will make it taste better i would of tried it before just like you and Bill did. :thumbsup2:.