What´s your favorite working dog

• O.k. what´s your favorite dog for your particular kind of use. I mean, hunting, retrieving, personal defense, watch, etc.

I am biased here, cause my personal favorite is the German Shepherd, cause i had a wonderful dog of that breed, her name was Nina and she was indeed a star. Great for attack and protection. It was a Von Rottesland blood strain from Germany. I had seen some pretty impressive Malinois though. But still i don´t like the shape and the weight of the breed. One of the most important features of a protection dog, IMO is the deterence that comes from a powerful and fearsome looks. Malinois look a lot like mongrels, i know that they are " shaved lions" cause they would outperform must dogs in the job today, but i still don´t like them though.

I am very interested n your opinions...

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• I agree with you about the mals. Plus they're very drivey dogs with an activity level that's too high for my taste.

I can't comment much on hunting breeds because I have only general knowledge. But for retrieving I'd love to try a Chesapeake bay retriever. They're big strong dogs that purportedly are good retrievers and can function as guards too. Retrievers were bred to work closely with the handler. As such their trainability is high and they're better suited as companion animals than the more independent tracking, baying, and catching breeds.

For protection of home and person and companionship without a doubt I choose the rotteweiler. Second choice would be a good shepherd. They can be sharper and more alert than a rott, but IMO the power of the rott outweighs that advantage for my situation.

• Here's a nice shepherd that I'm training now. He'll be biting the suit just like in the last video you posted except with more bad intentions. I like to put seriousness in the dogs I train. This is his 7th or 8th session a couple of days ago, I'm the helper and training director. My back was hurting that's why I'm moving a little strange.

• I had a bad experience with a Rott. That would be my first choice too, but Rotts are not allowed anymore around here. :rolleyes1: here´s the story: I had this massive, powerful and brave rott, that was my baby, his name was Hitler :D the dog was so great it was a frigging lion towards strangers but a puppy with my kids, my older kiddo used to make mud cakes on the top of his head, the dog was patient as hell. My wife brought home a full grown chihuahua dog (male) that was in the pound, and she adopted him for the girls. The Rott was calm but very alert in the presence of the Chi, but as soon as i was out he eated the dang chihuahua alive in front of my girl, that was the most awful thing for my lil one. So Rottweillers are dogs non grata around here. Great dogs though

• Monster, in this video you posted http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=bmnFK2aewCw I think your point about the mals being too small is made. Look at 0:40 minutes where the mal turns and bites his handler. That was a real bite and the handler picks him right up off the ground to correct him. If it were a rott he wouldn't be able to do this.

• Yup, Rottweillers are the best attack dogs for that reason, they are overpowering and still fast and agile enough. Since i cannot sell the idea to get another Rottie around here, i am leaning towards a nice Dobbie Though.

• Chessie ! Good choice ,Dan. Solid dogs.

I love sporting dogs of all kinds . Here are a couple breeds that I have hunted behind on large dangerous game like hogs and have also used them as herd dogs and they all made for easy company . Ol' Yeller was the same breed as the last dog ,a black mouthed cur, all others are leopard curs.

Images

• leocur 1.jpg
    • leocur 2.jpg
    • bmc.jpg
  • Of course, as mentioned in another thread...these will probably be my next dogs to occupy the home and kennels. The King of Terriers, the Airedale. Hunts all things furred and feathered with strong protection instincts. Good to know when I am overseas.

Images

• aire1.jpg
    • aire2.jpg
    • aire 3.jpg
    • aire4.jpg
  • cur
    n. dog, mongrel (especially a mean one); coward, mean person

I thought cur means coward as in when a dog curs out of a fight. I guess that goes to say that the catahoula is considered a mutt which is not surprising. I like it when dogs are bred for performance as opposed to looks, looking like a certain breed but not having the temperament to go along with it.

• Robert Stratten, the mythic Pit Bull breeder used the term " stiffy cur" , refering to a non game dog. (a dog that would refuse to defend himself in some particular circumstances) Cur is a common name for dogs in some areas, refering to mongrel or half breed dogs, i guess as "catpole" for wild animals too.

• I used to own and read a couple of Stratton books. The dog fighters call a cur anything and everything that won't fight or won't fight long. It's sort of a derogatory name when speaking of a dog. That's why it surprised me when Aaron used it.

Aaron, is that Airdale forum any good?

• I had a few pits for short periods of time. They are neat and fun dogs. Look plenty tough when they have that musculature happening. No good for protection though apart from looking scary. Here's a neat one that belonged to a friend of mine, he was an exception.

• I used to own and read a couple of Stratton books. The dog fighters call a cur anything and everything that won't fight or won't fight long. It's sort of a derogatory name when speaking of a dog. That's why it surprised me when Aaron used it.

Aaron, is that Airdale forum any good?

Seems to be ,Dan . Some pretty decent field info. Here's an old photo of working Airedales from 1915 in Harney County,Ore..