What´s your favorite working dog

• From what animal are those furs, coyotes? What do people do with coyote furs?

Those in the pic are coyote . The man pictured is "Coyote Jack", an early gov. hunter for Oregon.

Coyote is still widely used in the fur trade. Especially in the trim of coats , mostly around the hood and collars. Reason being is that coyote fur is one of the few furs that when it absorbs condensation ,say from breath, it will not freeze. That's why even though in some Arctic and Antarctic expedition pics, alotta times the members will be wearing state of the art parkas and hats; but they will still be trimmed in fur.

• Those in the pic are coyote . The man pictured is "Coyote Jack", an early gov. hunter for Oregon.

Coyote is still widely used in the fur trade. Especially in the trim of coats , mostly around the hood and collars. Reason being is that coyote fur is one of the few furs that when it absorbs condensation ,say from breath, it will not freeze. That's why even though in some Arctic and Antarctic expedition pics, alotta times the members will be wearing state of the art parkas and hats; but they will still be trimmed in fur.

Nice use to song dog skins ...

In spite of that i dunno man, they resemble to much a dog to be in my list of animals to kill. I respect their hunters though.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

Edited once, last by monster slayer ().

• Nice use to song dogs skins ...

In spite of that i dunno man, they resemble to much a dog to be in my list of animals to kill. I respect their hunters though.

I know what you mean... been hunting and trapping them so long I see them as another game animal, though.

Interestingly enough, and maybe you guys can chime in here; myself and other hunters have noticed our dogs that are normally pretty laid back around others literally go out of their way to catch and KILL a coyote. Regardless of breed, whether it's spaniels,pointers or retrievers...just something about coyotes that pisses field dogs off and makes them wanna kill 'em. I've had Fisher damn near drag me out of a goose blind intent on catching a coyote while I held onto his collar. Only time we've ever really had control issues is when a coyote enters the mix.

• " The call of the wild" they say, something long lost in their past that tremble in their genes, a lost link when they gave up their nature to became our brothers ...

Well it is an odd phenomenon.

Here's a couple of buddys of mine( Ken and Matt) on a coyote hunting trip with their Airedales . Believe these were taken around Mesa, Az..

• Indeed... however, I 'd like to add a bit of a disclaimer here.

I've hunted and trapped coyotes all my life and they are a worthy game animal. Just like deer, elk, birds, and a multitude of others. I harvest them for their fur, which is why I use either .17 Rem. Fireball or a carefully loaded .223 ( by that I mean a bullet and load combination that is fur friendly ) or for close quarters, a shotgun . I will not use a large caliber centerfire that results in a "pink mist" or coyotes that have softball sized exit holes in them. To do otherwise is wasteful and disrespectful. Furthermore, come March 17th...I'm done for the year even though I could hunt them year 'round. At that time ,coyotes in my area have rubbed coats and are denning up for litters. Time to call it good and await next years crop.

Just good conservation practices.

I appreciate the link,bro, but their attitude makes me a bit uncomfortable. Coyote is a worthy foe.

• I like your attitude man, you are a great guy and real hunter. I know where you´re coming from, same thing about any game animal for that matter. Yup, nice shot but too much yelling for the killing

• Yup, nice shot but too much yelling for the killing

Yeah...he had me up until that point. It's one thing for me to rejoice by myself or with a partner. It's another to do it for 65,000. What took place is personal....damn personal for the coyote.

In anycase, you have a standing invite to come North and see what it's all about ...done right. Hell of an adrenaline rush calling one in and having him stalk the sound of the call . Makes me feel like Jim Corbett.

• Man, you are really touching some ol´ nerves here, my dad used to read me hunting tales, and among my favorites are the Jim Corbett´s Man eaters of Kumaon!!

Same here bro, whenever you want to come here.

• Man, you are really touching some ol´ nerves here, my dad used to read me hunting tales, and among my favorites are the Jim Corbett´s Man eaters of Kumaon!!

Weird ! I read a little of it to my daughter every night !Odd choice for a kid's night time book, but it works.

Didn't he own some kind of small terrier that would alert him when tigers or leopards were present ?

Monster, you might also enjoy some of the historic writings about a houndsmen in the American South West known as Ben Lilly.

• My favorite dog has always been a pitbull, believe it or not they're great dogs if your an active family.

Now they arent very good guard dogs, because everyone that walked in my house or backyard was always greeted with a lick and invitation to give em a belly rub.

Been thinking about getting one of these dogs, its half American Bulldog, half Catahoula Leopard dog. Hence the name Catahoula Bulldog.

• Pretty dogs, good and strong.

You hog hunt, bro ?

• Interesting combination. The catahoula is supposed to be a good guard, alert and defensive, however with a disposition for shallow bites. The AB a catch dog with lots of drive for biting and holding on. May make a good combination if the best qualities of each are expressed in the offspring, or may make absolute crap.