What´s your favorite working dog

• I have a confusion here, i am used to call Bulldogs to game dogs, as in the clinging death chapter of Jack London´s White Fang . Pit bulls are called that way due of their gameness instead of looks or standard. In my book a Pit bull is also a " Bulldog" ... The dog depicted in your post look pretty similar to the ole Colby´s dogs ... Does little rascals ring any bells?

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• I used to hog hunt all the time with my uncle in Ocala. He had three Catahoula Bulldogs and a purebred American Bulldog for his hunting dogs.

The Catahoulas were great chase dogs, and the AB was usually the one that brang the hog to the ground and kept it there.

They're extremly loyal dogs, good guard dogs, fast, energetic, just an overall great dog.

• Also forgot to put in, the Catahoula were used to find/chase the hogs, help bring em down. The American Bulldog would latch on and keep the hogs pinned to the ground.

If the hog was small we could effectivly release it, and it would go on its way. If it was decent size we would harvest it.

• " I never saw either of his parents. The Knight of the Broom I purchased him from said he was a spaniel, that his name was Pincha , and that his father was a ' keen gun dog ' . This is all I can tell you about his pedigree.".

"Robin" in The Man-Eaters of Kumaon by Jim Corbett

• " I never saw either of his parents. The Knight of the Broom I purchased him from said he was a spaniel, that his name was Pincha , and that his father was a ' keen gun dog ' . This is all I can tell you about his pedigree.".

"Robin" in The Man-Eaters of Kumaon by Jim Corbett

Dang!!! brother, just as i heard it from the very voice of my ol´man !! Thank you for that blast from the past!! :toast:

• Also forgot to put in, the Catahoula were used to find/chase the hogs, help bring em down. The American Bulldog would latch on and keep the hogs pinned to the ground.

If the hog was small we could effectivly release it, and it would go on its way. If it was decent size we would harvest it.

I like those dogs a lot, i don´t know if they are good for personal protection though, here in good ole México, the crime is in its peak, last month a friend of mine was kidnapped by an armed mercenary commando and they let him go on Dec,23 ..just before Xmas eve. This is a bloody crazy country, :crazy: we need all the help we can get.

• What do your buddies say about the airdales? They look like they should know all about them.

I saw a DVD yesterday that I had from a while back. In it a friend of mine, a dog trainer, participated in an OLN show called ultimate dogs. They did a 10 scale with 1 being the ultimate protection breed. The airdale was in there somewhere but the footage they showed of it doing bitework was pathetic. Must be very hard to find a working airdale in Canada. Albeit most of the other dogs representing the different breeds didn't look too hot either. It was interesting they filmed the show in Canada. There's 10 times more people in the US and maybe they would've found better dogs. Maybe they were on a budget, or maybe Canada has a better dog culture.

• That's interesting and nice to know when someone is so devoted to a breed. I know it's a figure of speech but what qualities does he see in the dog that would lead to him saying that?

Primarily versatility and devotion to "their" people, Dan. Matt hunts everything from quail to mt. lions with his 'Dales and the are very protective of the family unit. He plans on bear hunting with them in New Mexico next October.

• Primarily versatility and devotion to "their" people, Dan. Matt hunts everything from quail to mt. lions with his 'Dales and the are very protective of the family unit. He plans on bear hunting with them in New Mexico next October.

In the Canadian Film " The Bear" , a pack of " bear dogs" were depicted, the leader of the pack was a brave airedale named "Belle". The Bear degutted her with a blow of his paw.

Awesome film by the way ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bear_(film)

• I like those dogs a lot, i don´t know if they are good for personal protection though, here in good ole México, the crime is in its peak, last month a friend of mine was kidnapped by an armed mercenary commando and they let him go on Dec,23 ..just before Xmas eve. This is a bloody crazy country, :crazy: we need all the help we can get.

They make good guard dogs. My uncle lives in Ocala, and they alert him whenever someone pulls into the driveway. He lives in relative solitude, so he needs dogs that are going to let him know when somethings going on. You can also train them to "attack" if you really wanted to. Catahoula Bulldogs are typically the size of a American Bulldog, but have the intelligence of a Leopard dog.

• Has your friend told you how they express their protectiveness? I don't really know much about hunting so what's expected from a dog when hunting lions?

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I lost the site for awhile .:(

I dunno how they express it ,Dan. Never thought to ask and I doubt it's something they have really expanded on. I will ,though.

Lion dogs typically just scent trail the cat and then eventually they close the distance enough that the cat knows it's being pursued. At that point they will generally 'tree' . The dogs aren't nec. expected to engage the lion and rarely does that happen. Same with bears.

Interesting thing about 'Dales is they run silent until they 'tree'. Then they begin to talk. Bloodhounds are the same way. Silent mouths until they lay eyes on the quarry.