A Northern California Report

• Approaching the end of my schooling here in northern California got me wanting that infamous limit of ten inch abalone. I've passed up a handful of limits in the past as a respect to the resource, but due to a rapidly approaching move out date, I decided to give it a go. I did the drive south to Mendocino and was greeted by conditions that were much worse than expected (but certainly better than here in Humboldt).

Visibility was 3-10. The abs were almost all located in the 3-5ft vis but the fish were easy to find out in deeper clearer, 10ft vis water.

After about 6 hours I finished my haul. I had found five ten inch abalone, taken three (a limit), along with a couple 'eater' lings, a nice grass rockfish, and my personal best black rockfish at 7lbs.

Ten incher on rock-

Black rockfish in the haze-

My 10 5/8 incher (my largest of the day)-

My overall catch-

• Crazy timing. Last night I was thinking to myself "man, I could go for a good Kirby-style report right now", clicked into Speardiver and there it was! Thanks for the report. Sounds like stellar conditions ;).

Seriously, though, could you teach me the art of trophy ab diving? I don't seem to have the patience for it. I would like to get my first 10 some time soon, but after measuring 300 9+ abs, I always just give up and pop three random ones and move on... Is there some technique to it or do you just need to keep dropping down and gauging snail after snail after snail?

• Nice! - What camera were you using?

The first three photos are frame grabs from GoPro video. The fourth photo was taken with a Canon G10

Sockeye- I'll be down on Tuesday the 14th and will be needing a dive! Talk to you soon.