Another awesome trip

• The hunting just keeps getting better!

The weather finally decided to ly down, at least for a bit, I'll get back to that....

I'ts been pretty rough the last few trips out. Made it out in beautiful 1-2' seas and very little wind. The clean water was found only a few miles out so my scuba buddies got to jump in a few wrecks that don't often get visited due to the extremely dirty water that is usually there.

As suspected, lots, and I mean lots of those pesky endangered Red Snapper that the Feds can't ever seem to find anywhere, so they must be protected at all costs:rolleyes1:

We stopped at quite a number of our usual spots for cobia and mangroves, but couldn't find anything other than Red Snapper. Because the conditions were so good, we decided to make a banzai run to the outer rigs, which we don't usually get to often because of time constraints or the seas simply aren't in our favor.

After a 2 hour run or so, we finally made it to some spots that didnt already have a boat tied upto them. Everyone else apparently had the same thing in mind, with the calm seas. The water was amazing. 70' vis easy. The fish were really moving around and they were plenty of them. After only a few minutes in the water a big cobe came swimming around to make an inquisitive pass. My girlfriend was in the water with me, and this was her first dive trip in the GOM. As the cobe came in to me, I looked away from it and payed it no mind. I had already spooked a BIG one on a bouy before getting to this rig and never saw it again.

My ploy worked exatcly as expected. He turned in to have a closer look. Put one through the spine and watched him do the that little quiver as he rolled over. Pulling him into me I realized that this was a NICE one! My personal best to be sure!

The cobes just kept coming through...one or two at a time. My scuba buddies started getting into some good ones as well. Another first timer managed to put a shaft through a nice one that went somewhere around 40. We managed a nice mix of solid cobes and put a few AJs on the boat as well.

I got my girlfriend in the water and coached her through using the gun. She was having a really hard time settling down. She missed the first couple of shots and finally managed to put a shaft through a small Jack Crevalle. It gave her a good working over before being lost to Davey Jones. The sharks started showing up in big numbers so the girlfriend decided she had enough for one day:laughing:

A big hammerhead showed up and decided to make a few inquisitive passes. I love seeing these guys in the water! I think they are truly a magnificent creature.

My scuba buddy came back up and told me that he had seen some African Pompanos. I went over to where he said he had seen them and sure enough, on the first drop, there they were, down around 50'. Had one come up to take a look, and got a good shot on him. Boy these guys sure put up one hell of a fight!

Unfortunately, we didn't take too many pictures, so all I have to share is the one of my new personal best cobe. Somewhere around mid 50s...

As we headed back in, waaay later than we should have, we saw the black horizon and "ohh shit..." Victory at sea for 24 miles...it got down right scary at times, but at least there wasnt any lightning. Made the dock at 9pm, intact but utterly tired and sore. It was an awesome day:thumbsup2:

• Way to go John! nice ling. I wanted to go out but I spent saturday changing my trailer springs and correcting some wiring issues. Going to try this weekend, have not landed a cobia yet this year.

• John I'm new to the sport and need some instruction from a pro. Seems we have a mutual friend Bo. I've know him for years and he said since he isn't down here you would be the best to learn from. When ever you get a day off and are looking to put a trip together we can go out on a 25' boat. let me know if you are interested in going out.

• John I'm new to the sport and need some instruction from a pro. Seems we have a mutual friend Bo. I've know him for years and he said since he isn't down here you would be the best to learn from. When ever you get a day off and are looking to put a trip together we can go out on a 25' boat. let me know if you are interested in going out.

Get my number from Bo and give me a call. Tried to PM you, but apparently I can't just yet, with you being so new to the site.