Acevedo inspired smoked snapper

• I was really blown away by the dodo toratas that joe posted on the other board and I thought hey, I could probably smoke a fish like that.

So I headed to home depot and they only had3/4" not 1" thick but I bought a plank.

I tossed a big mango and a small mango into some brine. I cut the big guy in half.

I took a nice length of cedar and soaked it in beer for three hours. Joe suggested three days.

I setup the coals to burn and begin to settle

Soaking wood

I used some fresh herbs to stick in the cuts and cavity. Mint. Rosemary and thyme

Set over the coals

I left it untouched for an hour. I was glad it was drying out the wood because there really wasnt a lot of smoke in the first hour

i like to spear fish

• I added a little more coal and left it for another hour

As it got closer to the two hour mark we finally got some smoke

I def over cooked en but they had a great flavor. I ate about half of the big fish standing on the porch. My neighbor came out and caught me chewing on the head. He laughed and took the pic

Next move it dip from the rest of it. More to follow. Thanks for the inspiration joe

i like to spear fish

• Thank you sir. It was a good experiment. First time w a plank. First time smoking over coal.
    The smells from the cedar we exceptional.
    I have a nice plate of crumbled fish I'll be turning into some bomb ass dip tonight. I highly recommend this method.

Cedar was $16 for 8 ft. I cut it into 6 pieces ranging from 14-18 inches. I want to be able to put two planks on that beater old weber.

Next time I'll use uniform size fish and I'll do fillets too as an experiment

i like to spear fish

• Pile o smoked gold

And a little too much sour cream, but quite tasty. I was not really prepared for this meal as I have no chips, garlic bread, crackers or toast. D'oh! dropped the ball on that

i like to spear fish

• Good appetite!
    smoking and salting were the only ways to preserve meat, when refrigerators did not exist.

Good tecnica!

Un Hombre tiene que creer en algo.......
    Creo que me iré de pesca!!!

• Sadot - thanks. That is the idea. I love sharing and learning new cooking moves and this one is a keeper

Joe- thank you for the inspiration. Please keep your tips and tricks coming

Freekey- you have no idea. I was glad I didn't use a bigger board and need two beers - on a note, I would suggest no one soak the board for less than three hours, four if you get an inch thick piece.

Mike- I make a lot of different brines for different fish and different soak times. I generally use milder flavor and less salt for 12-24 hour brines, and more intensity for shorter soaks.
    Since I only had a three hour window, I used a healthy amount of kosher salt (non iodized) a sierra Nevada, crushed red pepper and a generous amount of pickling spices. The pickling spices are a double edge sword because you DO NOT want pickled fish, in my pickling experience, as long as you stay under six hours, really 12, you will just get some of the nice flavor.

i like to spear fish

• Nice! Worth noting that some cedar you buy at the hardware store is treated with chemicals, so just something to remember..

I have an offset smoker and love it. Usually smoke something up once a week. Usually tri tip or some chickens for lunches the next week. Using an offset really allows you to maintain a constant temperature and smoke saturation. You can pick them up for $80 at Walmart

Cheers!

Long Beach Neptune

USCG 50GT

• FYI the planks at Home Depot or Probuild Lumber are ""Western red cedar" and are not pressure treated,
    you have to aviod cooking with eastern cedar beacuse it has natural toxic resins and is also treated :nono:

5/4 x 6 x 8 Western Red Cedar Kiln Dried S4S Lumber Select Decking MR0510508 at The Home Depot

5/4 x 6 x 8 Western Red Cedar Kiln Dried S4S Lumber Select Decking MR0510508 at The Home Depot

Nice! Worth noting that some cedar you buy at the hardware store is treated with chemicals, so just something to remember..

I have an offset smoker and love it. Usually smoke something up once a week. Usually tri tip or some chickens for lunches the next week. Using an offset really allows you to maintain a constant temperature and smoke saturation. You can pick them up for $80 at Walmart

Cheers!