Lunkerbuster's fish stories

• thank Ben and hau..
    Hau, when we were out on monday I saw a guy yakking and we mototred over in case it was you...it was not, the guy was a little alarmed as we came in very slow and quiet since his flag was up...when he surfaced I apologized for creeping on him and explained I thought he was my boy....we ended up giving him a nice tow out to the real reef and all was forgiven :)

i like to spear fish

• Nice fish and nice shooting. Glad to see there was some nice water out there somewhere! I went out Monday out of Port Everglades and it was a top layer of pukey sandwater, and even in 500ft had tons of particles and bad viz (probably 40-50ft).

• NIce Judah. I was bummed the vis was snot on Saturday.. Glad to see you got out...

• thanks guys.
    Gerald, I actually was going to call you t osee if you could come out but I was blocked by the capt's girlfriend, she gets the spot first.

I wasn't too upset because she is a lot more attractive than you :)

i like to spear fish

• Got out to today with hardline. Hit a nice shore spot and had an eventful day. In the middle of the dive I said I was having a three stooges day and it seemed to just continue.

First, frank misses a Mac and I dive to try and shoot clean up. I shoot the fish nicely in the head and string it to the shooting line. Both of these details are important as I go to cut the gills and then I watch my spear sink to the bottom in 20'. D'oh!!! I cut the shooting line. Damnit. I bust a knot and it seems secure so I continue with the dive.

We finally make it to the outside of the second reef and I drop down for an aspetto. It works and a nice 16"~ hog come right over to me, so damn close that I can't even extend my gun. I shoot from the hip and somehow blow a shot that was seriously like four feet from my face. Unbelievable.

I put a nice chunky schoolmaster in the banks board and I hear hardlines gun go off. I see him swimming to the board figuring it is a nice fish and next thing I know he is cursing. Apparently the Grover did a flip flop on him and managed to jump the board. Double d'oh!!!

The day continued like that. I gave three fish hair cuts, got laughed at by a huge schoolmaster who had a teenie tiny hole he somehow fit into. I found three Spanish lobsters which were small. Then I remembered they have no size. They seemed too small to take regardless but still a stupid moment

I saw a nice gag just chilling at the edge of viz and when I shoot, and miss, my shaft flies really far. At this point I am free shafting apparently.

As we swim in a nice jack passes between us and I manage a really nice leading shot right in the eye. But I have never freeshafted and I forgot there is nothing to hold the fish on the spear. I dive to grab the spear as he is doing flips and I get there a second too late.

Happy to take three fish. Should have been like ten. But the three were nice shots.

Had a great day with hardline regardless. He shot some vid so hopefully he'll post some pics

i like to spear fish

Edited once, last by LunkerBuster ().

• Oh I forgot. A little four and a half foot nurse shark was being a real punk with me. I had just shot the big schoolmaster and he comes in fast. I charged him and he retreated but just did a quick circle and came back. I charged him again and then put away the fish. When I saw him the third time I had had enough so I charged him and chased him into a little ledge where he posted up and didn't bother either of us again.

I was moe and curly today

i like to spear fish

• Yeah. Ft laud. Vis was very dive able. Got better deeper we went although the sun was key. When we had cloud cover it was very difficult.

None of the injured fish were hurt bad. All scrapes and nicks. They will unlikely even learn from the experience.

I can't explain it. I was either dialed in and hitting eyes and head or wayyyy off. I guess that is life huh?

I got a vid of chasing away the nurse. I'll post it later

i like to spear fish

• The two macs were poetic justice. When we were swimming out, I shot at one and missed and Judah got him as he swam away. Then on the way back in Judah shot at the other one and missed and I made a hail-mary shot at him and caught him right under his jaw for a secure grab.

Really was a three stooges day...I don't know how some of those fish got off our line. I shot a Schoolie with a body shot and swam up to catch a breath. When I looked back down, my shaft and line were empty. Crazy.