Lunkerbuster's fish stories

• The two macs were poetic justice. When we were swimming out, I shot at one and missed and Judah got him as he swam away. Then on the way back in Judah shot at the other one and missed and I made a hail-mary shot at him and caught him right under his jaw for a secure grab.

Yeah. It was nice. Especially since they were almost identical fish.

i like to spear fish

• I find it interesting how skittish they are, considering they're usually too small to target, so they shouldn't be used to anyone going after them? In the Bahamas they get huge. The locals call them "the barber" because they're known to carry siguatera.

• Nice report, looking forward to more pics. That sure is a nice schoolmaster. Looks like the ones that were teasing me on sat. They are definitely very skittish and skilled in evasion. The big ones seem to have a knack for only coming out of holes between dives.

• Seriously!!

There was another that size who was giving me fits. We found a nice rock that had like two hundred little pathways in it and this svhoolie and a strawberry grouper were playing games with me. One would show while I was on the surface and then I'd plan a dive, he would disappear, then I'd see the other and get distracted, then he'd evade me and over and over and over

They are super tasty though so I'll deal with the frustration :)

i like to spear fish

• I almost got a nice grouper once playing this game. It went on for 15 minutes, finally I faked him out by pretending to dive and went straight back to the surface instead as he holed up. Stayed up for almost as long as I got him used to me laying in ambush on the bottom, and went down and waited. Sure enough he came out shortly after. But I missed the shot.

• I almost got a nice grouper once playing this game. It went on for 15 minutes, finally I faked him out by pretending to dive and went straight back to the surface instead as he holed up. Stayed up for almost as long as I got him used to me laying in ambush on the bottom, and went down and waited. Sure enough he came out shortly after. But I missed the shot.

That is agony!! But also a great idea with jerk fish.

i like to spear fish

• I find it interesting how skittish they are, considering they're usually too small to target, so they shouldn't be used to anyone going after them? In the Bahamas they get huge. The locals call them "the barber" because they're known to carry siguatera.

Jake has a theory about school masters. He says, "they're the same as dogs, just smaller. You have to play the same game to get close AND they're a smaller target. It's the perfect practice fish for dogs".
    Makes sense. And my family prefers to eat the smaller, plate size snappers anyway. :D

• Not too mention they are master escape artists...

for real!! Frank shot a nice sized schoolmaster and it was on his shooting line..I saw the shot, I saw his spear stuck under a ledge. I was about to dive to grab his spear when i saw that He was about to dive for it....he grabs the spear and as he is swimming up....nothing on the shooting line.:confused1::crazy: ?????? it was a solid shot through the meat and i never saw him swim away...very odd

i like to spear fish

• Nice going guys. Sorry I missed out. Thanks for the invite anyways. I'll post a thread later with pics of how my day went... Don't want to derail his thread...

• for real!! Frank shot a nice sized schoolmaster and it was on his shooting line..I saw the shot, I saw his spear stuck under a ledge. I was about to dive to grab his spear when i saw that He was about to dive for it....he grabs the spear and as he is swimming up....nothing on the shooting line.:confused1::crazy: ?????? it was a solid shot through the meat and i never saw him swim away...very odd

Must of slid off with the flopper closed.

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• Had a great dive with mark and frank today. Found a nice dinner guest

We covered a lot of ground and went first then second then outside the second then back to inside of the second and we found nothing!! We decided to make our way in and I was aiming at hitting a nice big coral head I know of. Sure enough we got lucky and cruised right onto it. I saw this hog and gave him no chance to evade me. I dove immediately and went right at him on the bottom. As soon as he did the first "look back" turn, I nailed him. The second he was shot I saw a beast fish to my left and realized it was a 34-40 AJ!!!! I hade no chance to do anything but watch him swim off not thinking anyone else had seen him. Then I see frank dive on him and shoot and I was sure he had sealed the deal.... Alas the AJ never stopped his cruise and I surfaced with my fish and calmed him down

i like to spear fish

• Nice hog Judah. Seeing a bigger fish while being occupied with a small one is the way of the world. I've had 3 opportunities at kingfish while kayak diving.. all 3 have been the exact same situation that you describe, I feel your pain. :(

• I hate all damn thoughts that go along with missing a nice size fish when it should have been an easy shot. Glad you got that awesome hog. I was figuring we were gonna be going home pretty empty till we hit that head.

There were two decent sized nurses who called the head we found their home.

Saw this Guitarfish on the way back in.

• Hardline that is one of the coolest pic's of a nurse I have ever seen :thumbsup2:

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele