Reefchief's oceanic adventures

• Did the last important thing to really be complete with this gun. The palm swell with putty epoxy and Rhino Liner coating.

Rhino Liner is an adventure to say the least. But we managed to do a pretty fantastic job in the end. Its amazing how much a tiny bit of epoxy filled out the handle and made it custom fit my hand. The rhino liner looks and feels amazing.

• Went bluewater fishing/diving today. We got skunked on Hook & Line so we came in to the reef around noon. I was expecting crap viz like I had in Fort Lauderdale yesterday but to my elation I could see structure from the boat.

I dove solo for a while. Got a couple decent mangroves A barely legal Red grouper that looked bigger in his hole. And a Nice hog. Saw lots of fish action. Tons of borderline and small grouper. A lot of small school masters and grovers. A bunch of strawberries I passed on (never eaten one don't know enough about yield/taste etc ). Tons of dif jack species.

• nice, hogs that size taste sweet. The strawberries are super good. They yield well for their size too,,. I always pass in hopes of seeing a bigger one and end the day without any..

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• Yep thats pretty much what I did. And they kept getting bigger too. whats would you say is a Good size on those guys? Ones i saw today were about 14-18"

Hog is only moments away from tasting sweet.

• That hog looks great. 18" on a strawberry is massive. They're delicious, I absolutely love them.

• Im probably overestimating a bit underwater. But he was def the biggest I've seen. I already had all the other fish by that point though.

He was much darker (and actually hanging with 2 other 12-13 inchers) then the smaller ones ive seen which thew me a bit. But still looked very much like a strawberry. Unless there are other small-dotted red grouper species?

• Great hog indeed, I too am a fan of an obsessive amount of lemon, Also I really doubt you saw any of the strawberry groupers over 13",, its the ocean and optimism tricking you. BUT if you did then man you might have passed up a forum record.

• Im probably overestimating a bit underwater. But he was def the biggest I've seen. I already had all the other fish by that point though.

He was much darker (and actually hanging with 2 other 12-13 inchers) then the smaller ones ive seen which thew me a bit. But still looked very much like a strawberry. Unless there are other small-dotted red grouper species?

there are a few diff species of small spotted groupers, and i cant find the chart

• Yep your are correct. Thanks. Pretty sure now the larger guy I saw was a grasby or rock.hind and the others strawberrys. I guess they fall into the same category as strawberrys?

• Had to play hookey from work today and go beach diving. A friend is down from Maritime Academy for christmas and the conditions seemed too nice to pass up.

We went out from Fort Lauderdale beach 8-11. Conditions were flat, crawling northern current, 76f water. Viz was 25-30 most of the morning.

Drifted north on the second reef for quite a while. Saw a number of nearly legal gags. Lots of bait, runners, jacks. A good number of baby hogs. And A huge mac/king that I spooked away quickly. Near the end of the day I got a nice Red grouper.

My buddy just wanted to dive so he wielded the go pro.I accidentally put it into timed picture mode so unfortunately instead of video we got lots of badly timed pictures lol. Fortunately this allowed a few good frames to be found, arranged, and uploaded here for your viewing pleasure.

• Very cool report man, thanks. :thumbsup2: I really dig the pic of you on the bottom, aerial pics are always my favorite.