Reefchief's oceanic adventures

• Yeo tried out tons of gear and really if every day was like today id probably still live to dive. Lunker Ive never been so happy to see black and blue.

Heres a few pics and go pro caps.

Crazy sunrise.

saw lots of little hogs today, I love following them around and watching them do their thing.

E.T. phone home!!! the other side is about as bad.

• Beautiful pics. Sorry about your finger. It's a strange looking injury. The only way I can think of that happening is getting it smashed between two objects. If that was the case why is it only on one side? You'll know if you need it to be checked out.

• Get that thing x-rayed

Naww I'm fine. Appreciate the concern though. I don't think its broken, I can move it around pretty good. I think its mainly just broken bloodvessles. Ive squished fingers worse before.

• Beautiful pics. Sorry about your finger. It's a strange looking injury. The only way I can think of that happening is getting it smashed between two objects. If that was the case why is it only on one side? You'll know if you need it to be checked out.

Exactly, I had my finger in a bad place on the dive ladder between some moulding and the ladder and put my weight on it. 1/4 of my nail on the other side is also purple. But more then enough of is fine that it won't fall off.

• I dislike boat ladders for diving. They're rarely stable and there always seems to be potential for hurting yourself. I don't like taking off the fins in the water either, especially in current.

Same here, I can see why a rib is so great. I like to stay geared up fins and mask on all day so I actually climb in backwards with my fins on when we motor between spots. Surprisingly I didn't injure myself that way as I don't grab the ladder getting up. I squished it jumping off. Tonight I'm gonna keep some cold liquids in cans on the injury to try and prevent swelling :toast::laughing:

The vest really kept me warm. I could feel any time I let some water in just how warm it was keeping me. Two loading pads also made it comfy to load lol.

• Well, after a bit of a delay in progress due to life getting in the way of spearfishing I am finally pretty much done with my gun. It still needs to get a rhino liner treatment on the handle but other then that Its ready to rock n roll.

A couple of coats of penetrating epoxy and some light scotch briteing resulted in an absolutely beautiful finish. Then I tied up some short 13 inch bands with Speardiver band twine, dyneema, and rubber. And rigged a double wrap 300lb shooting line.

I learned so much from the forums and received a ton of help from Dan along the way. It was an awesome learning experience.

Edited 2 times, last by Reefchief ().

• Thanks guys, Im really happy with how it turned out aswell. :D I got to try it out saturday and it performed awesomely. Shot a nice sized mac from a good distance with it too.

Went out fishing and spearing with my Dad. Had a pretty nice day and ended up with 2 Mahi, a Cero, and a few snappers.

The first thing we caught was this epic sunrise. I guess getting up at 5:30 has some perks.

Hooked up on a school out of the blue early. Ended up catching 2 mahi and spearing 1. Hooked up on a monster bull on the smallest tackle we have for schoolies. Thought I had a chance for a few minutes until he decided to run. It spooled the little spinner in about 10 seconds. He jumped as he ran and looked around 30lbs. I never had half a chance :crazy:

My dad has mastered the schoolie flip. That way the boat only needs to look like an episode of dexter for the big ones.

Mahi light up in crazy ways. A moment before this it had verticle stripes I was trying to photo.

Hit the reef to find not so great viz. Tried out my new gun and had a blast anyways.

Got chased by a horse of an eel. He popped out of a hole I was laying near had to swim backwards a bit because he was being so aggressive.

Couple of fish from the day.