Reefchief's oceanic adventures

• Great pics, I get a real feel of the water. How deep are you in the 2nd last?

Thanks guys. I was also pleased with the pics despite expecting video.The sand there was close to 30, so I was probably 25-28

We were just about where we went that one time Dan and drifted north from there. There was some really nice deep ledges between each reef that grouper seemed to like.

• Thanks dude. :thumbsup2:

Got out with my Dad off hollywood today. It was an interesting day to say the least.

Surface conditions were shite, but viz was nice. About 30-50ft viz in 30ft and a little better in 50ft. Offshore there was a nice N swell and some multi directional-snottyness. Inshore was better but got worse as the day progressed. Did some H&L for a while and came up empty, then went diving. It was very overcast almost all day. But viz was good even in the gloom.

Ended the day with 3 schoolmasters, a mangrove, and a rock hind grouper. Got teased to death by a monster gag, a large cubera and a King Fish all 3 being the largest I've seen. The gag and snapper used a vast series of tunnels and holes to let me get peeks with my flashlight but never take a shot.

All around lots of activity on the reefs. Some big beautiful nurse sharks, a few turtles, lots of schools of jacks, runners, spades, chubs.

Ill post some pics/videos soon. Esp of the amazing shot I made on the rock-hind. Right handed (im a lefty) from the hip no look into a hole. Nothing but net.

Also forgot to mention the awesome sailboat that sailed basically directly at me and our following boat, then veered towards me as he got closer. Only when I got half out of the water and shrugged my shoulders did he sharpen his turn and show his side to me.

• Went for a beachdive today off hollywood with Frank/Hardline, Judah/LunkerBuster, and Xan/Wishihadgills.

It started out and ended kinda weird. Apparently It was canada day and the entire city of quebec arrived at hollywood beach 20 minutes before us. We attracted a lot of attention on the way out, and probably made it to about 400 canadian Facebook profiles on the walk back.

In the middle was a really nice day of diving. Viz was pretty good all day about 40' in 30' with a very slight southerly current and a slight chop. The fishing wasnt as good as the conditions, but everyone went home with dinner. Ending with 4 (I think?) lobster, 3 snappers, and 2 triggers between us. As it goes. We found more large grouper then anything else. We took a raincheck till may.

I also got to try out my new speardiver torch and in doing so found a keeper lobster which my wife is about to put on the grill. Althought Xan and Judah found more lobster without a light ;) The light kicks ass and the tight beam was amazing for checking deep holes.

Took a few macros after cleaning my catch. Lobster are as weird as they are beautiful.

• Yeah! Great snap!

It was great to get back into the water. Two other highlights were thinking my new aeris was broken because I didn't know I had to turn on the dive mode hahaha

And seeing a guitar fish! Which was awesome. I have never seen one and it was a pretty cool experience

i like to spear fish

• Yeah man. I knew you'd dig it. In fact it was really a blessed thing. I was swimming out and I was way behind. Like twenty yards behind xan who was 100 yards behind the others. I saw him laying in the sand a little covered, he was about three an half feet long, and I yelled for someone w a camera. By the time I got xans attention I drifted off and couldn't find him. Oh well I saw him

On the way in like four hours later I saw him and he was swimming this time. We followed him like fifty sixty yards and he bailed. Super cool creature

i like to spear fish

• Just went "free diving" and it was the biggest mistake of my life. I didn't get enough diving in yesterday and knew the conditions would be decent today so I went for a shallow first reef beachdive off Fort Lauderdale. Not expecting to see much and trying to record some gorpo footage I left my gun on the banks board. 2 hour later at the end of the dive a magnificent giant stud hogfish swims right up to me following a large dark blue parrot fish. I tried to calmy retrieve my gun but by the time I had it out he had vanished into a labyrinth of holes. I spent another 30 minutes looking in the general area hoping he would come back but it never happened. It was one of the biggest ive seen in person. Only seen bigger ones in the keys under bridges lobstering.

Besides the tease it was another really enjoyable beach dive. But im never going freediving again.