Video- How to Tie Speargun Band with Constrictor Knot

• About what I see in your video.. Plastic beads are unnecessary. The reason your friend's knotted wishbones are not holding up may be because they're using your method to tie bands. With those two needle nose pliers you're not able to pull the knot tight enough. Needle nose pliers have a better use inserting the knotted wishbone into the band, the wishbone insert tool is unnecessary. Also a double constrictor knot is better than the constrictor knot for this application.

The Mako band tying line you are using is very small diameter and it's possible it will cut the band when tightened properly. This Speardiver Band Tying Twine is much better for a few reasons. As with all things Mako the band making kit is more hoopla than practical.

In any case using a knot in the wishbone line to anchor it in the band is obsolete. I've been using the Speardiver Low Profile Wishbone Inserts exclusively for a few years now. No insertion tool is necessary and the Dyneema wishbone is easily replaceable. Here's a video showing how to use it and how to tie bands correctly. The band making materials you see in the video are here Speargun Band Making Materials.

• Great Vid I gave you a like on the tub but would have liked to see a section where you just make your own knot and insert that into the band and use that instead of just showing how to insert a bead or other third party object into the band... Many times we tie bands on the boat with nothing around other than the bands wishbone cord and even use fishing line as constrictor cord if we forgot to bring constrictor cord, it works well actually ;)

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• would have liked to see a section where you just make your own knot and insert that into the band and use that instead of just showing how to insert a bead or other third party object into the band... Many times we tie bands on the boat with nothing around other than the bands wishbone cord and even use fishing line as constrictor cord if we forgot to bring constrictor cord, it works well actually ;)

I learned to make a half hitch, with another wrap....a "double half hitch", knot on the wishbone line from Riffe. It's a fatter knot and I've never had one slip.
    I tie bands by tying one end of the constrictor line to my bedpost then wrap the band and pull with a pair of needle nosed pliers with the line wrapped around them. Then "roll" the band back and forth to really cinch down the knot.
    Waxed line really makes it slide together tight but it's not as strong as the nylon woven line. Either way, the knots will outlast the band material or wishbone.
    I just take an extra set and leave it in my cooler. I don't want to mess with tying bands on my boat. :D Doc has done that though.

• So your saying that me telling people to use a single constrictor knot on my bands using Mako's materials is misinforming spear fishermen? I'm pretty sure it works just fine on all the fish I shoot? Here ill post some pictures for you guys of some fish I've gotten with a single constrictor knot.

Your method works well. I think all Dan is pointing out is that there are other methods too. And that's why this is a good forum. Input from others on ideas.
    Setting Steel Gear (Tone) came down here last Jan. He popped like....3 band on the day we went out. He was using the stainless steel bead on his wishbones. I told him, "think of like....a penis. A tapered, hard end is going to slide in....or out, easier than a knotted 1 inch rope". He agreed.
    And I was surprised that you only tie a single constrictor knot. I tie another one, or a half hitch with a double wrap...variations but I never just tie the one knot. It's good to know that it works. Thanks

And I get a lot more force tying one end of the constrictor to something solid. A bedpost, porch railing etc etc. Daryl Wong gave me a lesson in that at his house. I've never had one pop either.

It's all good. Thanks for the video.

• Here are a few. I can post more later but I'm about to go spearfishing right now. Sorry to sound like an ass, just saying it works great with just a single knot. Maybe if you use a thicker band tying line I could see where you might need an extra knot, but for the thin mako line it works great. You can also use line called Dacron that you buy from fishing stores that comes in a spool and would probably be less money then buying it from a spearfishing store. Plus it doesn't ever hurt to make an extra band and keep it in your bag for the day you might need it. I'm always over prepared when I go diving instead of under prepared.

• By the way, I edited the description on youtube adding that some people use a double constrictor knot as well. Thanks for the opinions and dive safe.

• Man thats some beautiful fish!! Personally I am from the down in the bilge do whatever the hell works for you generation so thanks for sharing always like to see a different way/ways...hell the other day I used craft twine on a 28 inch long 3/4 inch band and it worked all week, not that i recommend it :nono: Just saying that all of you need to not get so hung up on brands, styles or whatever as we are supposed to be seamen, Christ I am beginning to sound like Hank with tying to bed posts with penises :laughing:
    Adapt and overcome :boring1:

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• just to add a little bit of one more man's opinions....

I have the mako band tying kit. I find the insertion tool to be totally worthless and have cut myself at least once using it, I have removed it from the kit. I love the crimpers and the convenience of the kit.

I have and use Dan's tying twine and i like it but my favorite is still the tarred kevlar cord from spearitco.

I have no issues whatsoever using plier to tie the constrictor knot. I leave excess and wrap it around the plier several times...I have NEVER had a band slip the loop using any 5/8" rubber. I do not agree with the idea that you cannot tie a tight enough knot with pliers.

I use Qpowerline as my loops and wishbones and i just double the line and tie a square knot close to the end.

i am sure there are many different experiences and the like, this is mine, for what it is worth

I use one constrictor knot. i occasionally with tie a second but on less than 10% of my bands

i like to spear fish

• You can't tie a knot tight enough gripping the line with pliers. You can tie the knot tight enough wrapping it around anything. I prefer to be comfortable so I use two small wood dowels. Remember that wishbones pulling out can put a glitch in your dive day, but if a wishbone pulls out of a band that I made it would be embarrassing.

I need to use a bead to tie 19mm and 20mm bands.

I don't. Again you're probably not pulling the knot tight enough.

This is my band tying kit.

BandTyingKit2.jpg

1. Shears. Anything can be used to cut tying twine and wishbone line. But I found these titanium shears from Home Depot to be particularly good.
    2. Needlenose pliers. To push the wishbone knot into the band (lubricated with spit). Any needle-nose pliers approximately this size will do.
    3. Lighter. Any will do but I prefer this torch because I can direct the flame better. Also it uses disposable lighters as a fuel source. You just knock the striker out and slip the lighter inside the torch.
    4. Speardiver band tying twine. This I will not change for anything.
    5. Speardiver Spectra wishbone line. It's the best I've seen.
    6. Two wood dowels to wrap the tying twine around and pull the knot tight.
    7. A short piece of PVC pipe. To keep the needlenose pliers in the open position as I pull the pliers out of the band, leaving the wishbone knot inside.
    8. Avoid the pliers and PVC piece altogether and use the Speardiver Plastic Inserts. So easy to insert even in bands with a very small hole. They are low profile and pretty, never pull out, are reusable, and if you need to change the wishbone line on the fly all you need to do is feed the line through the insert and put a knot on the end

• Dan where did you get your lighter, that is AWESOME.

i dont think i am being clear about the pliers..i use them the same as you use the dowels, just different item.
    I pinch the very end of the line, then i wrap the line around the pliers until they are right next to the band, then i pull using my upper back.

also, Dan's little bit of pvc is the BEST little tool, it makes the plier extraction from the bands effortless and i use the same trick, ripped off of Dan

as an aside. I really like the speardiver on the corner of the flag, very crisp. also the picture of your kit is very nice and makes me wnat to buy things...i think you have the photography down :)

i like to spear fish