Sling Penetration

• Shortly before I left to go back I was lucky enough to get a day trip to Walkers Cay (Bahamas) with a few of my friends. More about that trip will come when i get around to a write up. Anyway, while we were there I had a bunch of trouble with getting good penetration from my sling shafts. I was wondering if anyone has any tips to get better penetration. I was also hoping this thread might generate some interesting ideas.

Info:

Sling was a standard wood sling with 1/2" small hole rubber. It wasnt weak but I plan on making this tighter and/or possibly switching to 9/16" spear rubber.

Spear was a 9/32" diameter and 66" long. The spear was brand new so the tip was sharp but I might try to modify it. It had a pencil/rock point tip with the barb starting roughly and inch from the base of the point and the barb was between 1 and 1.5" long.

Very few of the shots I took that day actually went deep enough for the barb to engage. I did manage to stone a few of the fish but some of the shots simply knocked off a scale or two even at point blank.

Any tips, ideas, suggestions...etc are greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Use a heavier shaft 5/16.

Use a screw on rotating point with two floppers. They will be closer to the point and not as long as the single flopper, not requiring as deep penetration to deploy.

Tie 3 bands on it instead of 2 and exercise with it :)

• I know. What you call one band I call 2, so tie 3. If you can pull 3 that's great. I couldn't pull 4.

When you use a single flopper spear, the flopper should be 3" long and set back about 3" from the spear tip. If you use a 2 floppers spear tip, the floppers can be 2" long each and set back only 1" from the tip. This second alternative requires less penetration to fully deploy.

• Why not have the single flopper closer to the tip? say 1/2" or so.

Get it thru fish as soon as you can... just thinking here.

• How big of a fish we talking? 3 oz to 1 lb, 1 lb to 5 lb. 5-10 etc.

What if you have a back stop (ROCK) that is close or shooting into a hole.

If the flopper is to far back then it will not make it thru the target?

Edited once, last by Linghunt: typo ().

• Neither have I until I did it :) Space the bands out evenly around the sling and shaft holder, temporarily secure with a zip tie, and tie the knot. You may have to fashion a new shaft holder if the one you're using has a hole for the band to pass through. It's easy to take a piece of Delrin dowel and put a hole in it for the shaft. Put a groove/recess around it for the tying line to grab the bands more securely.

• That is one disadvantage. But the alternative is unacceptable, it simply doesn't hold well.

Got it, I had to think a little as we are talking a Single flopper close to the tip.

If it was a double flopper close to the tip, "the Spinning off" factor would be reduced.

If the floppers were longer, then it would reduce spin off as well.

if there were 3 floppers then it would reduce it farther.

(all floppers reference to the same point on spear shaft.)

-John

• I think just a thicker band will work instead of rigging some sort of 3 band system. The pistol grip slings suck in my opinion and arent as powerful as the setup I use currently. Pole spears work but I find they have a very limited range.

John, as for the weight class, the muttons were all in the 5-12 lb range and there were grouper that were larger. Also keep in mind that mutton and other snapper have very large hard scales that can be very hard to get through.

• It would still be easier to shorten the length of the band and increase elongation. I have pulled back 14mm sling bands before and I can do it with some strain on land but in the water it is significantly easier so I might try it. Ive seen slings tied with everything up to 20mm rubber.

• I was putting together the video form my trip to the bahamas and I noticed these frames. They show the amount of power I'm able to put behind a sling shaft. The first pic is a pic of the shaft shortly before impact. The next two show the flex as the shaft hits the fish. Believe it or not, I was unable to recover that fish because the shaft did not penetrate far enough for the flopper to engage and it was able to shake of shortly after. Its a pretty sickening to loose fish like that. Hopefully Ill figure out a solution so this doesn't happen as often.