cressi2000's,3000's, or mares razor pro's

• hi im Steven, and ive been researching like crazy about what freediving fins to get as a beginner. im doing all warmwater dives in southwest Fl and the Fl keys. im 6'1 and approx. 205lbs. ill most likely be sticking to dives less than 70 ft. purpose for spearfishing.ive heard tons about cressi 2000's,3000's and have been looking into the mares razor pros, although im open to other suggestions. id like to keep my budget under180$. any advice would be awesome, thanks in advance.

• I've actually had all three within the past few years. I startedwith the 3000's, found them way too stiff, cramped up like crazy, and the store exchanged them for 2000's which were much better. A few months later I scored used Razors for $40, found them much better than the 2000's and sold the 2000's. Since the Razors have removable blades, I can always move up to carbon fiber which is a huge plus. My girlfreind also bought a used set of the Mares and loves them as well. I'm 5'10", 205 for comparison. Welcome to the forum!

• I've actually had all three within the past few years. I startedwith the 3000's, found them way too stiff, cramped up like crazy, and the store exchanged them for 2000's which were much better. A few months later I scored used Razors for $40, found them much better than the 2000's and sold the 2000's. Since the Razors have removable blades, I can always move up to carbon fiber which is a huge plus. My girlfreind also bought a used set of the Mares and loves them as well. I'm 5'10", 205 for comparison. Welcome to the forum!

I think you have that backwards, 2000's are boards, 3000's are softer.

Stevens, fin blade characteristics are important. But dont ignore footpocket fit. I know people who love gara 3000's however my first pair were 3000's and the footpockets caused me severe pain. The size, width, and shape of your foot will determine which foot pockets feel good. If its possible I would try to find somewhere local that allows you to try some fins on.

• awesome, thanks i dive and snorkel and am trying to get into freediving. i spear during all of these so i am in the water for multiple hours with maybe a couple small breaks here and there. but not a whole lot of sitting around. and ive heard with some if u go much over an hour they'll practically kill you lol. but if u go too soft you dont get the power. so really im trying to find a happy medium. which from reading online the razors may be what im looking for:D

• Reefchief, thanks im in MN now but ill be back in fl in a couple weeks and hopefully a locally dive shop will have some. that i can try on. thanks :)

• Trying them on will let you know which ones really work. Im not a fan of the 2000's as I find them way too stiff. I started with a pair of 3000's and I loved them. I still have them as a back up set and a pair for friends. Both are good fins and should last a while if you take care of them.

A lot of people talk about the ability to change blades being a big factor. What a lot of people dont realize is that a set of carbon blades cost just about as much as what many stores will sell the sets for. Also the mares carbon blades are very soft (some of the softest available) and in my opinion too soft.

Bottom line: The footpockets fit very differently between the Cressi and the Mares fins. That should be the deciding factor. If the Cressi garas fit better then you can choose a stiffness.

• I have the Mares Razors and I love the footpockets. They cause me no discomfort on my beach dives which ususually last a couple of hours. Like mentioned before, find the footpockets that fit you the best.

• awesome, ill definitely find somewhere where i can try some onwhen i get home.ive got at least 3-4 dive shops within 20 min. of my house so i hopefully wont have a problem finding some. thanks for the input everyone :)