Frickin' Jake.. spearfishing Belize

• Just me and Jake. The boys had homework or something.
    We dropped another FAD after losing....or someone stole it.....the first one. This one is just a pallet, some floaters and these really neat "aqua mats" designed for shrimp hatcheries but they provide a lot of habitat under water.
    Then we headed another 10 miles out. Found a school of dogs that must have had over 200 fish. But they were educated. Too smart for us. We each got one then headed back to the reef.
    found a few more dogs but as soon as Jake shot one, a barracuda came in so I shot it before it could make a grab for the snapper. Then, as usual for this spot, sharks showed up.
    This spot is only about half mile from the FAD.
    Anyway, cool day.

[/IMG]
    [/IMG]

• Hey all,

I'm a novice to the sport, and have only used a "slingshot-like" Hawaiian sling previously. I was wondering if there is a place to pick up a 1 1/4" stainless steel shaft.

thanks,
    dd

• Big dogs Hank and Jake... Sweet!

Thanks George. I'm really stoked about the FAD. We set it at 350 ffeet deep based on the length of rope. I put an old pallet floating with a line and another floater off that. Underneath we have this large.....almost hula skirt looking things. A woven mat type thing that's about 6 feet wide. It has long "fingers" trailing off in the current. One at about 12 feet down the line and another at about 25 feet. It looks pretty unreal. We'll see.
    The current was ripping and it held in place for the 8 hours we watched after setting it.....oh please....ph please. haha.

That's a real active spot. While I was on scuba looking for our old FAD line I found a really nice new wall that was covered.....ok, ok....it had 5 nice sized black grouper. All I could do was look. No gun, plus respect for the law. The current was coming in perpendicular to it. That usually makes for a lot of activity. We'll see badehhhh. :D

Edited 2 times, last by hank ().

• Hank my buddies just put two(FADS) down for Yellow fin so I am hoping this season I get a shot on some fat yellowfin :D.
    Friday went looking for some 80 LB wahoo in an area they are known to frequent but ended up with nothing as the moon was wrong :( but soon wahoo season will be in full swing and some pics should be following soon... Did one trip before this one and had some awesome memories made there but never posted the pics or story, my bad but work is pretty heavy at the moment. When it kicks off here I will sent a invite to u and Jake :thumbsup2:

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Nice fish! :)

Here water got colder by 2°. We lost 2 wahoos this weekend, one mine. High midbody shot placement and I got spooled before I could do anything. I wasn't diving a "wahoo spot", but two of them came in. They are starting to show up :thumbsup2:

I'll show you some pictures of my "poor boy" FAD's :D

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Nice fish! :)

Here water got colder by 2°. We lost 2 wahoos this weekend, one mine. High midbody shot placement and I got spooled before I could do anything. I wasn't diving a "wahoo spot", but two of them came in. They are starting to show up :thumbsup2:

I'll show you some pictures of my "poor boy" FAD's :D

Please do post some pics Marco. I've seen one other one in Belize that was just some floating wood and junk.

Mine is an old pallet, free, two floaters and a chlorox bottle, free, but I did spend US$60 for rope and I attached a danforth anchor ($75) to the old tractor flywheel weight. We'll see. I hope someone doesn't have the patience to pull up 350 feet of rope.

And the attachments were free too. It's actually expensive stuff but it's been sitting around here for years so I ....borrowed it. :D

• About the 120 foot deep sandy area.....hard to find that here.
    It's only 60 ft max inside the reef and I'm not sure how deep you need to go to get to a sandy bottom outside. Maybe .....500 plus? Or more. I heard the one at Glovers is over 1000 feet.

But I think we're on the path of kings and hopefully wahoo. I've seen kings there. We'll take a look next week and see who's home.

• My good friend Jorge, aka "the Spaniard" is in town for business and work but he found a little time to get out with Mo and me. Jake had to work.
    He hasn't been spearing much in Viet Nam but he's still got it.
    We got a lot of tasty little snappers and one 28 lb (24 gutted) black. Still no big dog snapper schools but it shouldn't be long.
    We just hit a nice spot and a boatload or tourists showed up. They jumped in and a few had spearguns. One Aussie, some Americans....it was cool. Yep...I needed this. Great day.

[/IMG]
    [/IMG]
    [/IMG]