Frickin' Jake.. spearfishing Belize

• Well it's a bit of a fish push, you can see in the cooler the dog is smaller than the grouper. But still a stud snapper, if I had to guess I'd say 13lb. Hank you never fail, always nice fish every outing. Do you guys ever weight your fish?
    Who shot the cuda in the face?!

• We do weigh most of the fish. And Tino shot the barracuda. I think it was going away and came out his face.

You're right. The big one was 12.5 lbs gutted. But I think the one in the cooler pic is the smaller one. The big one was on the bottom.

One thing I've noticed, if you look at a dog and a cubera and they look the same size, the cubera will always be heavier.

Edited once, last by hank ().

• Man, this has been the worst weather this year. We got chased home by 35 mph winds two weeks ago before we could get to the reef. Out of nowhere. Other days, it's just been nasty NW winds. Kids got sick...work....damn.
    So today I went to the beach and it was really nice...and the water looked clear. I ran home and got my gear which was all loaded in the boat but we cancelled yesterday due to my son being sick. He's ok...but we didn't dive....again.
    Anyway, got in the water and there were tons ....ok....20 or more barracuda all around. Curious. I shot one. Shot a nice mutton and swam way out to the end of our pipeline....about 1500 feet out. Lot of fish and here comes this guy right under me. Nice head shot. I was worried about all the barracuda....or maybe a bullshark. Not great vis. but had an uneventful swim in.
    His belly was full of crabs.

[/IMG]

• Hank - I envy your life. Hope the Boy(s) are OK and just a minor cold/bug. You found this juvenile Jewfish on a shore dive? How shallow? I used to spear a lot of these, guess he is around 50 lbs, in relatively shollow water and undr piers in Panama.

Hope the kids are better soon.

• Hey I feel for you, I'm just getting my family over a two-week long battle with the flu. Glad you were able to connect on such a nice fish there, gets me itching to get under the water but it's still a little nippy here (below zero recently). Hope you and your family recover quickly and stay well.

• Hank - I envy your life. Hope the Boy(s) are OK and just a minor cold/bug. You found this juvenile Jewfish on a shore dive? How shallow? I used to spear a lot of these, guess he is around 50 lbs, in relatively shollow water and undr piers in Panama.

Hope the kids are better soon.

Thanks Oscar and Sames.

Yeah, I swam out from the beach. Our pipeline for the hatchery has a screened intake about 1500 feet out. The 8 inch PVC pipe comes up vertical from the bottom and is supported by a steel frame. Always has fish around it. The locals know it too and we periodically have to repair the pipe because they pull it apart with their rebar anchors. :(

As I was approaching the end I could tell because some spade fish, a lot of yellow jacks and some one lb muttons were coming to check me out. I dove down...only about 12 feet...and laid on the bottom holding onto the pipe trying to hide. As I was going up, this one swam right up under me. I had to wait to get far enough away to shoot. :D

I was pretty stoked. I've only been in the water once since Christmas. First time for the year. We got our butts handed to us two weeks ago. It was wild coming home. I was running fast coming up and trying to go over the waves in front of us....and picking which direction to go as they white capped on either side of us. Weird weather for the last 5 months or so.

• Nice one bro! :thumbsup2: We are having big schools of barry here as well, even 30-40 lb in the schools.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Whew....just had a close call. Tino, who dives with us a lot was sick as a dog. We took to the ER twice...they rehydated him and sent him home, treating basically for bacterial or viral dysentery.

Finally took him to a private doctor who had enough sense to do blood work. He had really high white cell count and recommended we get him to a surgeon right away. This was yesterday afternoon.

So Chela (wife) and I hauled ass with Tino up to Belize City where they examined him again and determined he had a ruptured appendix. They did surgery last night to remove appendix and all the mess it created in his abdomen. Looks like he's going to be fine though.

Man, Belize government medical facilities are about like the US during the Civil War.

• Hank same thing happened to me when I was 17,spent three days with a ruptured appendix with attending doctor insisting it was kidney stones. Fianlly a local Dr friend told my parents F... that idiot American volunteer Dr (at that time) and air lifted me to Barbabdos, 8 hr under the knife, 1 month with a tube draining my innards and then a relapse 4 moths later and another 2 weeks in hospital. Tell him I feel for him, but it gets better, at least he did not miss his graduation party like I did :(

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Tino is 14 but he's pretty much full grown. He's almost as tall as I am.

His sister, Maritsa, had an appendectomy three years ago. She complained a lot about the pain. So we did all the tests. My father left me his Merck Manual, one that doctors use to diagnose just about everything, and treatment. The language is pretty technical but we figured it out. Anyway, hers was easy. But Tino didn't have the normal symptoms. And his appendix was behind his bowel. 95%, according to the physician, have it in the front.

Anyway, Chela says he's feeling better and is pissed that he has to wear a Pamper because they won't let him get up to go to the bathroom. Teenagers....:D.

Looks like the fish may get ANOTHER week to grow.....and become dumber. They're going to forget all about us...which is good. Soon the wrath of a couple of sneaky bastards is going to descend upon them.....heh.......heh........heh........:D

Edited once, last by hank ().

• Scary shit. Hope it all turns out alright now. Keep us informed on Tino's progress.

• Finally got out today. First boat fish of the year. Tino is fine and coming home tomorrow.

Rough and dirty water and a ripping current. After lolly gagging around on the edge of the current I got Duquesnay to drive the boat and I drifted alone out the other side of the cut. Dropped in on the "House" and here was this black Shot him right in the face and he came out one hole of the House and went in another, making a tangled mess of shooting and reel line. Hard to breath up in the current but it was good because the fish was about dead when I went back down. Pulled him up but my gun went into the House. haha. Anyway, all ended up well.
    Nice margate too. And a sneak barracuda.

[/IMG]
    [/IMG]