Video: Big Hammerhead Shark Encountered while Spearfishing

• Great video.
    I've seen them a few times. One big one but it just swam past me. Really fat.
    Another time on the same day.....not sure if it was the same one about a mile apart on the reef.....but one came right up to my face...slowly. And one did the exact same thing to the Spaniard. Looked like the same shark. Not aggressive but it came within 8 feet of us...which felt like 2 feet at the time. Beautiful animals.

• Yeah I've probably seen 7 or so of them total underwater down here. None of them aggressive, but have had them come within feet of me. One time I was on the bottom looking around for something to shoot and I got to the surface and my friend said a hammerhead swam right behind me and I didn't even see him.

• One charged directly at me at El Bajo here in La Paz, It was a big one. Is amazing how fast are those creatures when pissed. They spin on a dime. I guess It was just plain good (or bad) luck. The water was full of fish fluids and chum, and we had a live cocinero jack hanging to the anchor line. We ended up boating him.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• came across one that was at least 14 feet scuba diving with a buddy in the channel between Venezuela and Trinidad a couple years ago, it circled us at least 8-10 times varying his distance each time, the closest was about 2-3 feet, the furthest about 20, the viz was only about 15 feet, so when he went into the murk, all you could see was the silhouette... was an awesome experience, and a privilege to be so close to such an incredible animal.

• Thanks guys, yeah a Hammerhead was actually the first real shark I saw while diving, not counting nurse sharks. I was in middle school with my buddies and in about 10ft of water I had one swim within feet of me and it was easy 14ft. All I had was my pole spear and I was terrified. Needless to say after that, the whole day I was looking over my shoulder the entire time.

• great footage.. HH are so cool when swimming. I have had a few encounters w/ them in the water, some at arm's length. They always seem to be very chill, and had never seen one angry.

This labor day, we had one go ape shit at double breasted. That thing was sizable and came screaming across the knee-deep flat w/ half his body out of the water. we jumped back in the boat and he went crazy along side the boat for a few minutes. Amazing how fast they move when there is malice in there hearts.

• Hh in the flats are SERIOUS they feed primarily off the bottom and because of how lively flats are, they drive HHS into sensory overload. I have been fly fishing in my kayak and been knocked out of the yak , I was standing, by a four foot bonnet head who was doing disco spins in like seven inches of water. I was not happy about being in the water with him.
    You are not kidding about them being very fast

i like to spear fish