Hello everyone!

• Hey guys, thought I'd take the suggestion and introduce myself. My name is Elliott and I've recently moved to Puerto Rico and discovered that how much I love being in and around the ocean. More specifically, I am on the island of Vieques. It is a great place to learn to dive and spearfish, as it is basically surrounded by good condition reefs with good numbers of moderately sized fish.

I had started doing some reading about spearfishing a couple months before coming down here, and got extremely excited about it. I didn't really know much about spearfishing, though I had an uncle that showed me how to use a polespear in Hawaii. That was about the length of my experience. Truth be told, I'd initially considered this island for the Fly Fishing, which turned out to be bogus. So my wife and I got down here, I bought myself a polespear and a decent mask and snorkel set and started bagging fish. My wife even gave it a try and decided to buy herself a spear as well. The largest fish I've taken was a bit of a joint effort between myself and my wife, which was a hefty 15+lb mutton (I think it was closer to twenty, but my eyes tend to exaggerate :laughing3: ). It took several shots from both our spears to disable it enough to draw it out from under a ledge, but it was great fun. I've taken plenty of various other types of snapper over the last couple of months, but a small five foot, three prong polespear can only go so far.

So, last week I took a trip to the main island and visited Roberto Reyes, who hooked me up with a Mako 110cm speargun and a basic float. I took it out the day after, pulled a few snappers and grunts, and had a blast (despite having a hell of a time loading it up with no chest pad). Taking shots at 10-15ft instead of 2-3 was an eye opener.

My bottom-time is pretty much nonexistent. I usually go down to a max depth of 30ft or so, peek under ledges and maybe take a shot before feeling like I need a breath. I work on breath-holding whenever I can remember, but I feel like it's something that will really just take time and practice. Tips here are appreciated :toast:

I've also gotten myself a little bit of lead and I'll be getting a set of freedive fins before too long as well, which will hopefully help me with bottom time. Hoping to learn a lot while I'm here.:thumbsup2:

• :welcome2: you are right that practice above all else will improve your bottom time. Proper freediving fins are also going to really change everything for you

Yeah, I am still at the point where I am acquiring just the most basic equipment. All I need at this point is a set of long fins and a wetsuit or skin with a loading pad. But, at least I can get out there and do it. The move down here wasn't cheap, so I have to accumulate gear over a long period.

And thanks again for all the warm welcome. I was doing a bit of posting on SB, but it seems to be a very slow moving forum. If anyone has any other recommendations for good spearfishing resources, I am all ears. Nerding out on a new hobby/sport is one of my favorite things :laughing4:. I think that's why I was so into flyfishing for so long, as there is soooooo much literature and information. It's easy to continue learning for years and years, and always some new technique or pattern to try.

• Never stop learning with spearfishing and always new things to try
    Welcome

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Yeah, I noticed the Peter avatar, too. He almost looks classy. Haha!

I also noticed the awesome literary skills, too. Great job man! It's good to see and yes, Elliott, it IS noticed by others, even though it's not mentioned.

As for you living where you do, YOU BASTARD!!! Just kidd'n... but no, really.

:D