Speardiver wetsuit for cold lake diving question

• As a few of you may know I am new here and have not gotten serious about spearfishing until recently. I just ordered a 5mm and 7mm Speardiver wetsuit because the lakes I dive in can be in the low 40s for a good part of the year. The thing is the vis in the winter can be up to 25 ft, whereas in the summer it can be as little as 4 ft at times. Thus, winter diving has its appeal for spearfishing. For any of you who have experience with these suits in cold water, will the 7mm be plenty for 40 degree waters? Thanks for any input.

• Willl it be plenty for 40degree water? I don't know if you could say plenty. My 7mm keeps me warm for a solid couple of hours in 46-48degree water. That being said, once you get cold in those temps, you get really cold. 40degrees is absolutely frigid, but I would imagine the suit (provided it fits well) would give you 1.5-2hours of comfortable time in the water.

• I do not have a Speardiver suit but I do have a 5mm open cell omer. I dove Northern california in 48 degree waters and was comfortable enough to shoot some fish and get a limit of abalone. I don't remember how much time I spent in the water but I remembered being ok. If I where to live in Norcal I would probably buy a 7mm for a little more comfort in the winter and more time overall in the kelp beds.

• Awesome, that's what I was hoping to hear. I used to dive in Washington a lot with water temps from 44-48 degrees, but only had a 7mm scuba suit and had to wear a shortie over it in order to stay in for several hours. I am pumped to try out the Speardiver suit here in a week or two. Can you guys recommend a good pair of 7mm booties and gloves?

• Get the 5 mm socks. You won't regret it. Being comfortable is more important than a little bit warmer. A 7 mm sock will stop your blood flow and you will get cold.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• I dive with a 7mm open cell wetsuit all the time. That said, the coldest water I dive in is 49 degree F. My face went numb, but I was OK for about an hour before getting cold. My cold tolerance is crap, though. It really depends on the type of diving you do. I do mostly aspetto, so I'm motionless a lot. If you're moving a lot, that will make all the difference, but your dive times will be short. For me, I wouldn't even think about going to 5mm until the mid 60 degree water. Keep in mind, the surface temp is often ten degrees water here, than 30 feet down.

• Speardiver suits are top notch gear. One nice thing to do before you put them on, is to pour warm/hot water into them so you can slip easy on them and get a warm feeling right away. You´ll feel very confortable and will never be cold.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• Where I live, the sea ranges from 36-37F (April/May) up to 52F (late August). I wear a 7mm Elios open cell suit with 5mm socks all year round, and switch between 6.5mm three-finger mittens and 5mm gloves depending on temp. A highly flexible (the cold makes them go stiff) open cell suit of 7mm thickness (potentially more) is a must for me in these conditions. Around 40F and below I usually don't last more than 1.5 hrs, normally less. Also, make sure the gloves/mittens and socks hav a good seal against the suit. My socks and gloves/mittens all have "slick surface/closed cell" neoprene where they meet the suit, and they always go on the inside of the suit: absolutely zero leakage that way. The second important thing is the shape of the hood. 40F and below will make your sinuses and chin/jaw pay if they're not properly covered. Also, the thick neoprene will squeeze your jaw "into" your face if the part of the hood which is covering it isn't shaped correctly. That'll get painful in quite a short time and can also cause your hood to slip off the jaw; that'll get cold real quick.
    The hot water tip is a good one, both for making suit slip and also to heat up after a dive. Just fill the suit with hot water when you're done and you're nice and toasty in seconds.

• There is a very slight possibility I will be able to get to the lake this weekend and try out my new Speardiver suit, just how much conditioner do I need to spray on my suit before I try to put it on?

• Mix the conditioner with water in a spray bottle. Start with two tablespoons of conditioner and see how slippery you like the suit. Next time you can reduce the amount of conditioner to your liking. Don't wait to do it on your dive day, try it at home now.