• Does anyone take urchin's for consumption? I'd never heard of it before and all the urchin's I'd seen while surfing were smaller and eating the reef, so I don't know if they'd taste good or not.

• The white sea urchin eggs are a delicacy in the Caribbean where I am from, other species are eaten by different cultures but I dont know of any eating the common long spined black sea urchin. Is it the black you are referring to?

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• This is in the Hawaii section, but I see you're in Palos Verdes. I don't know about the tropical, warm water urchins, but the Californian sea urchins are one of my favorite foods when the quality is good. take one, crack it open and give it a taste. If it is bitter with a slight iodine aftertaste you might have to go deeper, or if the gonads are small find an area with more kelp. The best quality urchins will be an iridescent gold color.

If you are talking about Hawaiian urchins then I have no idea.

• This is in the Hawaii section, but I see you're in Palos Verdes. I don't know about the tropical, warm water urchins, but the Californian sea urchins are one of my favorite foods when the quality is good. take one, crack it open and give it a taste. If it is bitter with a slight iodine aftertaste you might have to go deeper, or if the gonads are small find an area with more kelp. The best quality urchins will be an iridescent gold color.

If you are talking about Hawaiian urchins then I have no idea.

Ya I'm from Hawaii, but I'd never heard of anyone harvesting them, so I was curious if anyone did. They're pretty popular here in Cali, but they have a much better diet of kelp over here than in Hawaii. I'd never seen larger ones in Hawaii either.

• They're called Wana (vana) here in Hawaii. Some do break open and eat, but why harvest wana when opihi are the delicacy and don't have spines that break off in your skin?!

Aloha

HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA
    MAHALO KE AKUA
    E MALAMA I KE KAI