New OC/LA Member

• Hey guys,

My name is Kaimana (you can call me Kai....but no relation to the Hatchet-wielding hitchiker). I grew up fishing, surfing, and diving. I fished and surfed for the first 11 years of life, and then followed in my father's footsteps and started exploring the ocean. First, without a spear, then with a polespear, and now with a speargun. So in all, I've been diving, spearfishing, and foraging for 10 years, but I am hoping to take part in this forum to learn from those with whom I share the ocean's bounty with, not to mention posting some reports.

I am based out of Costa Mesa, but I have a bad habit of spending choke kala on gas to dive anywhere from Ventura to San Diego when I'm not studying. I love almost any kind of diving, whether it be for Turban snails or Yellowtail, but I'm not very stoked on white seabass diving.

Shoots den,
    Kai :toast::toast::toast::toast::toast:

• [QUOTE=LunkerBuster;81647
    If I may ask, why do you not like hunting the ghosts?[/QUOTE]

Of course, man. For me at least, it distracts me from the reasons behind why I dive. When I pull up to a spot and feel that rush of competitiveness when I see 6 boats and 8 shoredivers in the bed I'd like to dive, I feel like drawing the line. There's nothing wrong with it, and shooting a big one after putting in the work is an amazing feeling, but I would rather dive for halibut, skirt the outside edge of the limu for jello-tail, or work on my stalking techniques with some calicos, where I can have more fun and a higher success rate. :) I'll dive for whites occassionally, but usually when I know a bed is hot, or in early/late season when the fair-weather WSB crowd thins out.

In short, it's all just personal prefernce.

• Of course, man. For me at least, it distracts me from the reasons behind why I dive. When I pull up to a spot and feel that rush of competitiveness when I see 6 boats and 8 shoredivers in the bed I'd like to dive, I feel like drawing the line. There's nothing wrong with it, and shooting a big one after putting in the work is an amazing feeling, but I would rather dive for halibut, skirt the outside edge of the limu for jello-tail, or work on my stalking techniques with some calicos, where I can have more fun and a higher success rate. :) I'll dive for whites occassionally, but usually when I know a bed is hot, or in early/late season when the fair-weather WSB crowd thins out.

In short, it's all just personal prefernce.

Very cool. I fully get where you are coming from on that

i like to spear fish

• Where do I get a dictionary on the cali language?!!! Seriously am I the only one lost here? :laughing:

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele