Guam spearfishing reports

• I wanted to start this thread to provide spearin conditions in Guam. I will try to update it every day I'm out..
    Other spearos that can contribute to this thread for this area please feel free to do so.
    Hope this helps.
    hau

• Hau, I would suggest contacting Ray Flores of Fa'nu'i dive shop in Guam. He's an avid spearo and a cool guy and can definitely provide you some insight on some good spots. Also, try the Chamorro food when your out there, i dont think you would want to leave after. haha!

• At Tamuning Bay today
    begin at 9:30am------------------end at 1230pm
    wind from W at 5mph----------from W at 10mph
    water temp 82F in 50fsw
    current from S at 1mph-------from S at 1 1/2mph
    viz 60f in 50fsw----------------same
    seas flat------------------------seas less than 1f
    air temp 92F 50% clouds----same

First day in Guam waters today. Also first day with my new Speardiver 95cm CF. Shore diving is amazing here in Guam.
    Went to Tamuning Bay with GF and 2 yr old grandson. Reef was aprox 200yd off shore, then dropped to blue :excited1: Spent 1hr target practicing with new gun= it shoots very well for a 95cm gun with hau length (long) bands. Had this gun custom made to fit into my special airline case. Lovin the Speardiver SS 3 fin shafts and my normal reel set up. I breezed through all customs and no one even asked OR opened my speargun case. :laughing3:
    Not many fish on this beach so I'll try others in the following days. I don't know where to beach freedive spearfish here in Guam, but "fish are gonna die".
    (GF is WAY more savy with the computer so maybe I can get her to help me post up some pictures later)
    Hope this helps :)

edit--jaguigui, GREAT, thank you for being the first to help me here in Guam. I will go to the dive shop you suggested sir. :thumbsup2: :toast2:
    The girls here are amazing also. Long straight hair, dark eyes, small stature and VERY friendly. :laughing:

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited once, last by hau ().

• Hau, check out the southern end of Guam, specifically the villages of Merizo and Inarajan. there's a sunken ship in one of the channels right in front of the church in Merizo. I think the depth is around 50ft. Also, if you get the chance to go to Cocos Island off of Merizo, you should try spearing out there, not a lot of development, low population, mean current=big fish.

• At Gun Beach today:
    begin at 10:30am------------------end at 2pm
    wind from W at 7mph----------from W at 8mph
    water temp 82F in 60fsw
    current from S at 1mph-------from S at 1 mph
    viz 60f in 60fsw----------------same
    air temp 94F 60% clouds----same

Went to Gun Beach today with same crew as yesterday:D
    This beach was way better and had way more color.
    Easy beach access and the locals pointed me out in the right direction today.
    Say my first tiger today when I drifted out past the "DROP OFF" :cool2:
    Saw some shootable fish today, but they were too educated to let this white boy get within 95cm range:)

edit: jaguigui---you are the best brother :toast2:
    Thank you, thank you sir

• At Gab Gab Beach today:
    begin at 10am------------------end at 3pm
    wind from N at 10mph----------from N at 8mph
    water temp 84F in 20fsw
    current 0mph-------same
    viz 60f in 45fsw----------------same
    air temp 92F 65% clouds----same

Today was a family day at a protected beach on the Navel base. (go Navy:laughing:)
    Gab Gab Beach is on the SE side Guam, in a protected bay, so there was no current and no waves. This is a no spear zone, so I just practiced on my Guam spearfishing education. Saw some porgies here, just like Miami but bigger. The big parrot fish here are spear educated and jumpy from being shot at:rolleyes1:
    Saw lots of navy ship activity so the bay must be pretty deep.

edit--Dan, I'll post pictures as soon as possible sir

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited once, last by hau ().

• Hau, sorry I keep interjecting, just tryna help out a fellow spearo in my homeland, but check out this place called Marine lab in the village of Mangilao. It should be calm this time of year. It's a great spot, be careful of the stonefish on the reef over there though.

• Hau, sorry I keep interjecting, just tryna help out a fellow spearo in my homeland, but check out this place called Marine lab in the village of Mangilao. It should be calm this time of year. It's a great spot, be careful of the stonefish on the reef over there though.

jaguigui--brother, no need to be sorry sir. Your information and direction is priceless to me and to others here that have the great opportunity to spearfish here in Guam. I greatly appreciate all the "interjecting" that you are willing to share with me. Thank you very much sir :toast2:

• No problem Hau. I love sharing my culture and displaying things that Guam has to offer.
    I'm not sure how familiar you are with the Chamorro and English names of the types of fish over there, but i may be of some assistance. Guam has some reef fish that you might not find in FL (correct me if I'm wrong) or even in Hawaii, and vice versa. I would definitely try to sample some of these fish before leaving. I'll make a list for you. Also, two of my favorite ways that fish can be prepared is fried and a special Chamorro dish called "kelaguen"(any type of meat mixed, usually raw, mixed with lemon, salt, onions, hot peppers, and sometimes grated coconut) its similar to Ceviche. Most of our pelagic fish are the same as the ones found worldwide with the exception of Dogtooth Tuna.

Anyways, here's a list of reef fish that I would definitely try before leaving Guam, i'll provide the English and Chamorro names:

-Mafute (Emperor Fish) *my favorite fried fish
    - Sesyon (Rabbit fish) *spines are venomous an hurt like a bitch, but one of the best tasting reef fish, also the "y" in sesyon is pronounced like a "z"
    - Atuhong (humphead parrotfish) *one of the best fish to kelaguen
    -Hamala (Sweet lips) *excellent white and flaky meat
    - Matan Hagon (Bigeye emperor) *hard to spear, excellent to eat
    -Tataga (Bluespine Unicornfish) *a Chamorro favorite to eat right of the bbq grill, if your adventurous, you can try what the old school Chamorros do and eat the stomach contents of it, its basically eating seaweed over hot rice, hahaha.

A trip to the Guam Fisherman's Co-op might also prove a valuable trip as you can put the images to the names of these fish, try out the kelaguen they sell (i believe its made of marlin), and just try and get some more info.

let me know if you got any questions!

Justin

*edit* Dan, if this is inappropriate for this thread or feel it needs to be moved, by all means.

Edited once, last by jaguigui ().

• At Ritidian Beach today
    begin at 10:30am------------------end at 1pm
    wind from W at 12mph----------from W at 15mph
    water temp 82F in 50fsw
    current 0-------from S at 1 1/2mph
    viz 60f in 50fsw----------------same
    seas 3f--------------------------same
    air temp 92F 70% clouds----same

Today was another family beach day.
    I swam out to the edge of the reef with just mask and snorkel and a rock as a weight to get me down to the sand. :crazy:
    No real shootable fish here.
    This is another pretty beach in Guam but a long drive from Tumon Bay.

• At Navy Beach today
    begin at 10am------------------end at noon
    wind from N at 10mph----------from N at 15mph
    water temp 82F
    current 0-------------same
    viz 50f in 50fsw----------------same
    seas flat inside the reef------same
    air temp 93F 70% clouds----same

Another family beach swim today with 3yr old spearo :D
    This is another nice swim, no sand here and entrance was from steps down to water.
    Saw 2 subs on the sufrace in the bay while we were there.
    No shootable fish and Navy Base is protected no take zone :(

• At Gun Beach today
    begin at 10am------------------end at noon
    wind from W at 15mph--------same
    water temp 82F
    current 0-------------same
    viz ?f in 50fsw----------------same
    seas flat inside the reef------same
    air temp 94F 60% clouds----same

Grandma, 3yr old spearo an me at Gun Beach today :)
    I now have the 3yr old spearo (John Jr.) swimming on the surface in 50fsw :D
    Saw about 4-5 shootable fish today but they are very educated :(

• Hau, go down South or East side (be careful, super choppy at times).
    Better fish on those sides, a little dumber.

• Jaguigui its very nice of you to be helpful to a nonlocal
    I was super lucky in hawaii to have some local guys help me out

Jaguigui, ---as sdeisen said, your information is priceless to me here in Guam. I can't thank you enough brother.

Lunkerbuster---thank you for the kind words brother

sdeisen---you sir, would be in bun heaven here. Tons of dark eyed, thin asian girls. Massage place next to massage place as far as the eye can see. Single girls solo diving and swimming and eyeing even this old guy.

I'm afraid this this trip to Guam has been kind of sidelined with GF family.