Making a Polypropylene Floatline

• Not bad Seth. In a pinch you can use a zip tie for a similar effect, of course it's not nearly as streamlined. BTW I remembered I have those swivels if you need them. They're 600lb if I remember right. They've been sitting around for 4 years, I forgot to put them in the store, as with a few other things..

https://spearfishing.world/ima…ampSwivel_zps77a2396d.jpg

Thanks Dan. Good to know you have the swivels also. How much are they? Considering how difficult it was to source them it's a good idea to have some in the parts and supplies box. Plus I might put together another small float line for my son soon.

• Here is what it looks like all hooked up:

As I mentioned before I still don't have a proper float so I'll be improvising with this inflatable water ski marker to see how well the float line behaves. Weather permitting, I'll get some salt on it this coming Saturday and report back.

Breakdown of parts and costs:
    $8.78 - 1/4 Polypropylene Rope 100ft. (I think this could be a lot less. I just didn't shop around. Try Home Depot or Harbor Freight)
    $13.00 - #10 "ball bearing" Swivels with welded rings x2.
    $9.00 - Speardiver Locking Stainless Steel Snaps X2.
    $30.78 - Subtotal.
    $5.00 - Add some tax and or freight
    $36.00 - is a rough total cost.

The least expensive float line I found was the RA line and in the 100ft length even with a discount your looking at around 45 bucks and you only get one swivel and one "tuna" clip. Lets hope my poly rope performs well ;)

• Looks great Sith, nice job!
    You might want to think about putting the float end clip onto the swivel as having the snap on the float may prove inconvenient.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Looks like it will get the job done. Nothing like the satisfaction of getting fish with gear you made yourself:toast:

No doubt John:toast:

Looks great Sith, nice job!
    You might want to think about putting the float end clip onto the swivel as having the snap on the float may prove inconvenient.

Thanks George! Can you elaborate on why that snap tied to the float side would be inconvenient.:confused1: I did it this way thinking if I needed to attach one line to another, it could be done with minimal hardware.

I like how it came out. Only would change the float by a "Bullet shape" lobster buoy. Less than 10$ at fishing supplies.

Thanks Marco. I do plan to change the float. I'm only using this buoy temporarily to test the floatline. I'm thinking of getting a rigid float as opposed to to an inflatable because I think it will have less drag and I don't plan to travel with it.
    Don't forget to share the pictures of your RA floatlines. :)

• Thanks George! Can you elaborate on why that snap tied to the float side would be inconvenient.:confused1: I did it this way thinking if I needed to attach one line to another, it could be done with minimal hardware.

Sith your float lines being interchangeable depending on use is very convenient... So having the snap parts on the bitter ends of your float line(s) is a easy way to change them out quickly, different floats different float lines and snap snap.
    The way you have it set is the clip on the float which works great!!
    But I change out my float lines depending on depth I am working, I personally see no need for a 100 ft spool to drag around when I am diving 40 ft max and do the longer lines when I am going deeper or big current and different lines for the blue, so for me snaps or quick releases like tuna clips on my lines terminal ends is convenient.

Edit: also many times I have cannibalized gear at sea and I always try to make gear as flexible as possible.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• You guys rock:thumbsup2: I can't believe the suggestions keep on flowing. :)

I'm really digging this idea LB. Any idea how many pounds of lift on the surface?

TRy to get this float. It's what we use here in Venezuela for wahoos up to 80 Pounds.

5-7/8" x 13-3/4" Bullet Nose / Crabbing Float, Orange

Do you only use one of these floats or do you attach multiple ones? Can you share how they go attached to the float line?

Thanks,
    Alfred

• Just one is enough for wahoos. I'll take pictures this weekend.

You can use two for more peace of mind. Dan has a post on how to rig them.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

Edited once, last by Marco ().

• I don't have spearing wahoo experience but when on h and l they don't really sound. They will scream away for long run but stay relatively shallow.
    Don't imagine they couldn't sink a little float, I just don't think they would

i like to spear fish

• Got a chance to take the float line out yesterday and I happy with the results.
    It performed well IMO. :)
    The line floats.
    It has very little drag.
    Only had one simple knot that I was able to undo with one hand after spending about 6 hours in the water and I have no doubt it could have been avoided. I had way to much of the line trailing around at this point and I think with some practice it will become second nature to keep most of the line close to me.
    Unfortunately, I left my GoPro running and was not able to get any decent filming done before the battery ran out.:(

The only changes I might be doing to it to split it into different lengths but not yet. I'm going to keep trying the spooled approach. It really was not hard to dragging it around but then again the current wasn't bad.;)