• Hello everyone, I'm new to the spearfishing worlds and I'm a little ways away from the Puget sound as my profile says but that is one of the places that is one of my intended spearfishing locations. Currently I have a 7' hammerhead pole spear. (Which is a hell of a pole spear and I got some of the greatest service from the site I must add). Anyways I'm in the process of getting some free diving fins and probably a 3.5 or 5mm wetsuit and a real spear gun. So locally the only thing close to me people do is spear freshwater squaw fish, I tried it-its fun but lingcod and other legal bottom fish are great table fare so here's my intro so hopefully I can meet some of you to go spearfishing with someday. Oh ya...my name is Stan :cool2:

• Hey Stan,

I dove a lot in Puget Sound, and if you haven't found out, the waters there are a bit on the cool side- where I dove the water temp averaged low to high 40s. I would get really cold in a 7mm suit, and my face would go completely numb within a minute. Unless you have no nerve endings you may want to reconsider purchasing something thicker than a 3 or 5 mil like you mentioned or you won't be staying in the water for long.

There are lots of good wrecks out there between 30-60 feet deep, and most have a good supply of shootable fish hanging around them. Good luck.

• Hey Stan,

I dove a lot in Puget Sound, and if you haven't found out, the waters there are a bit on the cool side- where I dove the water temp averaged low to high 40s. I would get really cold in a 7mm suit, and my face would go completely numb within a minute. Unless you have no nerve endings you may want to reconsider purchasing something thicker than a 3 or 5 mil like you mentioned or you won't be staying in the water for long.

There are lots of good wrecks out there between 30-60 feet deep, and most have a good supply of shootable fish hanging around them. Good luck.

Thanks for the info Sames! Definitely gunna reconsider a thicker wetsuit! If you don't mind me askin..can you fill me in on some of the other gear you used?