Spearfishing Alaska salmon

• Dan I agree with you almost entirely. I wasn't condoning it I was just saying it would kill one. If you drive a shaft with the force a speargun has especially out of water in to any animals organs be it lungs,hart, liver even guts that animal will die. If it takes 30 seconds or 30minutes i wont argue about and that's where the ruin your day comes in:) I only brought up my bow kills to kinda poke at my experience with bears not to compare bows and fish spears.
    I believe people today think it takes a lot to kill an animal like a bear, but I'd say people have killed much larger with much less.

• that was a great read mate, i had no idea that people were even spearing salmon in alaska..... are these considered BIG salmon? for the U.K these would be huge and that the only place i have seen salmon.

You mentioned "king" salmon, are they another species? Bigger? This was really interesting, if you have a go pro it would be cool to see the conditions you hunt them in.... i imagine it being pebbles on the bottom, lots of current and whaite water.......

cheers for that bro

• We have five species of salmon and they all have two commonly used names
    Chinook/ king
    Chum/ dog
    Coho/ silver
    Humpy/ pink
    Sockeye/ red
    kings are the largest of them. The ones in the photo are average size guessing around 20lbs. Trophy is considered over 50lbs and and the state record on rod and reel it over 90lbs. It's late in the year for kings with and most all are in full spawning colors. June and early July is best.
    There are a hand full of people here that do this and one of them made a video of it, search " king salmon spearfishing" on you tube. I'm not sure how to post a link:( I don't personally know the guy but the video gives you an idea of conditions.

• Wow! Triple bands and a sliptip, that guys not messing around!

Cheers for that info treebilly, if I didn't live so far away I would love to give that a go.

Cheers for posting the link Dan

• Thanks for posting that Dan!
    The video was shot a high tide and its usually a little better viability(no fresh water/silt from creek). I prefer the viz to be bad for hunting salmon so that by the time the fish notice me they are well with in shooting range. Even more so when chasing them in deep water where you can't hug the bottom like on Sunday.

• Great video. Was cold watching.

What are those Spotted fish? Rockfish? Bet they are good eating.

• Haha! I had to watch the video to see what you were talking about. They are kelp perch! Very common, averaging 3-5" I have never eaten one.

Ha ha thought they were a couple of pounds. Guess 3-5 inches is a bit too small to spear :laughing:

Viz was a lot better than I expected to see also.

Nice!

• Hey TreeBilly3 can out of state fisherman spearfish salmon in Alaska? I remember reading that only natives could live net them and wasn't sure if that also covered spearfishing? Love seeing your videos and pictures. A buddy of mine is in Seward working at the cannery and I have been thinking about going out there for a trip.

• Hey TreeBilly3 can out of state fisherman spearfish salmon in Alaska? I remember reading that only natives could live net them and wasn't sure if that also covered spearfishing? Love seeing your videos and pictures. A buddy of mine is in Seward working at the cannery and I have been thinking about going out there for a trip.

Alaskan natives here get special substance privileges (I don't get either) like halibut long lines or shooting seals and such, but spear fishing is covered by sport fishing regs. So yes out of staters can spearfish you just need a sport fish license and fallow seasons and bag limits.

• Nice captures! congrat's:thumbsup2:

My main problem is to protect the hands in icy water under 45F temp...

do you suggest a specific gear? not to thick...

If 5mm isn't to thick:) I'm using deep see thermocline Kevlar gloves right now and iv been in 38f water with them. They have held up better than some others. Cooler of hot water on the boat to dip them in helps. The only time my hands get cold in most any 5mm gloves is if they are to tight or to many holes.

• Have you ever used the dive mitts? I believe one of our member (Anders?) uses dive mitts with just the trigger finger separated in Norway of Sweden on the large halibut.