Stop bashing México

• What I want you guys to know is me and my clan (Neptunes and Fathomiers)
    love Baja, the people, the life, all of it. When she gets a bad rap we feel sad. Some of my friends are buried there and our blood has been spilled on her roads and beaches.....for many she is home. I will never quit diving the places I love and many of my friends will be there with me.

Don

Don Paul- Thank you for posting Paul's story about the tragic accident and it's aftermath.
    I have driven many thousands of miles in Baja, witnessed several accidents and taken note of the many road side memorials. The accidents I witnessed and the many roadside memorials always seemed a distant reminder of what "could"happen. The story told by Paul Romanowski is sobering. These are guys I can identify with that were as capable or more so than my self. I hope this story stays with me next time I drive south or in to any other remote area with challenging driving condition.

In nov. 1999 I kayaked into San Francisquito. On the wall of a small cantina were photo's of a guys in wet suits holding amazing fish that had been taken there. When I found out the fish had been speared I was in awe and inspired. Being naive and not understanding the skill required I spent the next 7 days trying to copy them with my 4' pole spear. I didn't even get close to anything like the photos I saw. I did however develop a love and appreciation of the process that has stayed with me. I don't knpw if any of the guys in the photos were part of Paul's crew during the accident. It seems possible. At the end of many blissed out days of diving I say a thank you to the guys in those photos for the inspiration they unknowingly gave me. Thanks again for the post.

• I learned of the place from Howard @ Laguna Sea Sports in 80, he taught me how to get there before any road in. A few years later one other guy he taught died when he broke down crossing the peninsula going home and tried to walk to the East for help, he died in the desert just a few miles from a fish camp.

This old picture used to be in the Catina before I learned to stand behind the fish.

Don

• I learned of the place from Howard @ Laguna Sea Sports in 80, he taught me how to get there before any road in. A few years later one other guy he taught died when he broke down crossing the peninsula going home and tried to walk to the East for help, he died in the desert just a few miles from a fish camp.

This old picture used to be in the Catina before I learned to stand behind the fish.

Don

Classy :cool2:

• This thread is heavy.

I assume its still OK to bash France?

OK - Just don't call the french fries patriot fries :laughing3:

• yo monster slayer where are you in baja?
    I drive down at least every few months and even more often in the summer
    trying to spend 3 months there next summer actually
    we should dive

• This thread is heavy.

I assume its still OK to bash France?

Yes, the rest of Europe already does ;)

To the OP, I've been in Mexico several times, your roads are fine, don't worry; try driving in Italy where even ambulances are those narrow suzuki vans, lol.

As someone who travels a lot I will tell you that important thing is not how the roads are but how the people are, how the food is and how good the fishing is :). You'll be surprised how a bright fire, some good fish and a drop or two of "the local" stuff (everyone seems to have an ungle that makes good homemade drink outside the US) goes a long way :)

• Thinking of flying or driving down in january
    anything around besides cabrilla in january?

Sailfish pacific side. Big Sardineras and pargo all year round.

April is the month to hunt yellowtail in the 40 /50 lbs range

June ´til August Pez fuerte 100 pounders

August til october Wahoo over 100´s and Dorado

See you around

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• Yes, the rest of Europe already does ;)

To the OP, I've been in Mexico several times, your roads are fine, don't worry; try driving in Italy where even ambulances are those narrow suzuki vans, lol.

As someone who travels a lot I will tell you that important thing is not how the roads are but how the people are, how the food is and how good the fishing is :). You'll be surprised how a bright fire, some good fish and a drop or two of "the local" stuff (everyone seems to have an ungle that makes good homemade drink outside the US) goes a long way :)

Nice comment thanks. ;)

• Monster slayer - off subject: my twins (age 13) want to swim with Whale Sharks - what is the season in La Paz and when is the best/peak time? Gracias muy amable.

• From November until late february or March! Here´s a pic of my Sister Paula Paddle boarding with a Whale shark in shallow water on a very nice spot.

Great shot. Sounds like Christmas break (December 22-Jan 3) would be a good time? Or perhaps Thanksgiving break (mid-late November) might be better? What could we expect for water temperature in late November or late December? Kids would probably need some kind of wetsuit to get in the water with them.

Gracias!

• Great shot. Sounds like Christmas break (December 22-Jan 3) would be a good time? Or perhaps Thanksgiving break (mid-late November) might be better? What could we expect for water temperature in late November or late December? Kids would probably need some kind of wetsuit to get in the water with them.

Gracias!

I bet the kids would love the Seal preserve at Isla Espiritu Santo.

Cheers, Don

• Great shot. Sounds like Christmas break (December 22-Jan 3) would be a good time? Or perhaps Thanksgiving break (mid-late November) might be better? What could we expect for water temperature in late November or late December? Kids would probably need some kind of wetsuit to get in the water with them.

Gracias!

That sounds good, water is cold but a 3 mil wetsuit does the trick. Water is like 60 degrees. I can arrange something for you. Spearfishing included ;)

• The Schedule could be something like this:

1.- Whale shark divng

2.- Baby seal / Seal diving

3.- Spearfishing ( Reef)

4.- Speafishing (Blue Water)

Let me know to schedule something for you Oscar. Cheers