Questions about piecing together a 120cm railgun...

• Will Aimrite Venom and/or Pathos D'Angelo 2 handles fit a Rob Allen aluminum barrel?
    Same question for an Aimrite Venom muzzle.
    Does the barrel rail height match close enough?
    If so, is a $140 carbon speargun barrel really better than a $50 aluminum barrel for a 120cm gun? (Assume using twin 16mm small ID bands, or do you recommend other?)

Thanks in advance for sharing your opinions.

• IMHO Carbon will only be lighter in weight than alluminum for that size. I'm not sure if for 140+ lenghts will be stiffer, but I've shot many alluminum 120, 130 and 140 railguns without any issue.

About barrel and muzzle height or Pathos handle I can't help you.

You can find Pathos rep in the other board. Surely he can help ypu with his handles fitting another manufacturer's barrel. ;)

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Pathos handle don't fit rob allen barrels right of the bat. Youre gonna need to modify it a bit. Same thing with an aimrite barrel. As far as both tracks matching perfectly I wouldn't worry too much about it since it doesn't really affect anything. Only two tracks that have to be perfectly aligned are barrel and muzzle since that's where your shaft exits. I've put together pathos/Ra and pathos/aimrite (venom and king) combos before. Just takes a bit of sanding and remember not to force a handle into a carbon barrel because there's a good chance it will crack. Hope this helps. Any questions just pm me

• With twin 16's and a 120 barrel I wouldn't worry about going carbon over aluminum either. It's when you start getting into the longer barrels and or heavier loads that quality CF comes into play. As 1shot says, guns upto 1.4 and 1.5 aluminum is pretty alright, as long as they aren't loaded right up.

What's the I.D and O.D of your proposed CF barrel?

• With twin 16's and a 120 barrel I wouldn't worry about going carbon over aluminum either. It's when you start getting into the longer barrels and or heavier loads that quality CF comes into play. As 1shot says, guns upto 1.4 and 1.5 aluminum is pretty alright, as long as they aren't loaded right up.

What's the I.D and O.D of your proposed CF barrel?

I would have used a Speardiver CF barrel, but decided to hold off getting that for now. Instead, I got one of those $99 Pelaj Spekter guns on clearance sale and used it for the first time just yesterday. It produce fish, but I'm definitely gonna change out the handle (as I expected I would.) The angle of the Pelaj handle doesn't bother me as much as its shape and the position of its trigger and trigger guard. My hands are big enough to palm a basketball. So, the Pelaj trigger is less than mid-length of my index finger. And I tried to hold the handle as high on the grip as possible, but that put the trigger guard in the way of my middle finger. It was an odd and uncomfortable grip for me, but as I said, it yielded fish.

Anyway, I plan to mate a Pathos 2 handle to that barrel whenever the left-handed model becomes available. Until then, I'll use an extra Aimrite Venom handle that I have. I'll need to cut grooves in the barrel inserts of each of those to match the stiffening ridges inside the Pelaj barrel. I guess I'll have to finally break down and buy a Dremel to do that. Or do you guys have other suggestion?

I put an Aussie Paxman reel with Zing-it line on the gun. It floated at the start of the day after firing the spear, but eventually sank as the reel line became saturated. I prefer the gun to float after shooting. So, I guess my choices are to either get a less heavy reel, or replace the line with polypro. Do you guys know whether 120cm ali guns will float with a Speardiver Composite reel with Spectra line?

I might change the muzzle too. With the Pelaj muzzle, the loaded bands stand off from the barrel for most of the length of the gun and chatter a lot when carrying through the water. I think I prefer the bands to lay flat along the barrel (as on my AImrite.) So, maybe I'll fit an Aimrite muzzle on. What muzzles do you guys like for rail guns?

Oh yeah, weenie me had a tough time loading the 20mm band what came stock on the Pelaj. While practice loading/unloading, the wishbone snapped because I let it rub against the spear notch. So, I replace it with twin 16mm's.

• o. Do you guys know whether 120cm ali guns will float with a Speardiver Composite reel with Spectra line?

Oh yeah, weenie me had a tough time loading the 20mm band what came stock on the Pelaj. While practice loading/unloading, the wishbone snapped because I let it rub against the spear notch. So, I replace it with twin 16mm's.

That should float fine. and if the notches are cutting easily you should consider taking some of that abrasive string to them to smooth them out.

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• That should float fine. and if the notches are cutting easily you should consider taking some of that abrasive string to them to smooth them out.

My 140 carbon Aimrite floats with a Paxman reel, and my 100 aluminum Aimrite does not float with a RA composite reel. Both are spooled with Zing-it spectra. So, please clarify. Do you think a 120 aluminum SHOULD float with a Spearmaster reel, or do you know it WILL float? Just wanting to be sure if I can. Thanks for the help!

• I guess I could tie my RA composite reel and mounting screws to my 120 Pelaj without actually mounting it to check whether it floats. But, if you guys know the answer you'll save me that time and effort. Thanks!

• Steven, does your 120 Speardiver Phantom float with the reel and line?

There are different pipes with track, some are significantly heavier than others. The Speardiver Phantom has a minimum thickness barrel, just enough to hold 2 x 16mm bands with acceptable flex, yet be very light in the water. If you want, weigh your barrel and I'll compare it to mine. That would make what Steven says relevant if his gun does float.

I'd use a carbon barrel if I had the choice. It gives the gun so much of a nicer feel.

• If you want, weigh your barrel and I'll compare it to mine. That would make what Steven says relevant if his gun does float.

I'd use a carbon barrel if I had the choice. It gives the gun so much of a nicer feel.

Thanks much. I'll weigh the barrel tonight (Japan time.)

By "nicer feel" I guess you mean lighter weight, or what?

• The gun without reel or shaft weighs 3.0 lbs according to my scale. The barrel alone (with handle and muzzle removed) weights 1.3 lbs. However, those weights include a little bit of water that I can hear inside the barrel. I've only had it in the ocean for one outing - and that was only in 52 fsw. I suppose the stiffening ridges on the inside wall of the barrel interfere with the plugs making a good seal.

• If you hear water inside the barrel, there's something really wrong with your gun. Do whatever you can to seal it properly. Otherwise is worthless. :nono:

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• If you hear water inside the barrel, there's something really wrong with your gun. Do whatever you can to seal it properly. Otherwise is worthless. :nono:

I'm open for suggestions regarding a good way to seal it. Perhaps re-plug the barrel along with using some type of liquid sealant?

In case you're not familiar with the Pelaj barrel, it has three stiffening ridges inside the barrel. They are each about 2mm wide by 2mm tall and run the length of the tube. They are located at approximately the 4.5, 6, and 7.5 o'clock positions (if that makes sense.) I'm sure they help to stiffen the barrel, but I suspect they impede the barrel plugs from acheiving a 100% seal.

• If your barrel has water inside, weighing it to compare to another barrel is at this point.. pointless. You first need to get rid of the water and seal it properly. Since it's a Pelaj barrel with the unique ridges you described, I suggest you contact Pelaj for the best way to seal it. I'm sure once this is done properly you'll see an increase in buoyancy, and your gun may just float with the Speardiver reel.

A Speardiver 120cm carbon tube weighs 10oz (284g) without the plugs. But it's not all about the weight. An aluminum barrel is clangy/noisy and cold. A carbon barrel gun is tight like tiger :) If by performance you mean that it's the same band stretch and so the same power and accuracy.. yeah there's not much difference. But to me performance is not just about that, it's about the small details and how the gun feels. And a carbon gun just feels warmer and better balanced.