Carbon fiber speargun barrels

• Hey everyone,

Are carbon fiber barrels like the Speardiver C1 better suited for longer guns say, 120cm and up? Or would a 90cm gun benefit from CF barrel as well? I have been trying to read the pros/cons about CF vs Aluminum barrels, but most post's referred to guns upwards of 110cm. Are the pros worth the upgrade?

Thanks,

Chase

Relax & Go Spearfishing

• Chase--I PREFER CF in any length and CF is worth the extra expense to me, but that is just my opinion.
    CF is:
    quieter
    will not oxidize
    more expensive
    SOMETIMES lighter weight
    Please to remember that NOT ALL CF barrels are created equal. Some CF barrel walls are thick, some thin. Some CF barrels are "wrapped tighter, double wrapped, spun, twisted, woven, pulled, vacuum wrapped", etc, etc. All these different manufacturing techniques make some CF barrels heavier and or stiffer than others. A good example of CF barrel variences is the RA CF. To my knowledge, RA has used 3 different CF barrels in his guns over the years. All 3 RA CF barrels are good barrels, but they are way different barrels from each other.
    hope this helps.

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited 2 times, last by hau ().

• It is as hau said, no matter what length, a carbon barrel with a built in track has a nicer feel to it. With longer guns a good carbon tube is preferred because it will not flex. An aluminum barrel would have to be quite robust to not flex and will consequently be heavier and less maneuverable.

To me a carbon barrel is worth the extra cost. I can't think of any disadvantages vs an aluminum barrell. And the Speardiver Carbon Speargun Tube With Track C1 is a very good tube, it's the only one that has a deep integrated track.

• Speardiver CF barrels are a good choice IMO and you cannot beat their customer service.
    You will find that many people here on Speardiver like to help others, so do not be afraid to ask questions.
    Hell, I have been here for 6 years and they still laugh at me about some of my crazy questions :D
    When I first came here I was homeless and didn't know anybody.:hau:
    I'm still homeless but I have met some great friends here. :)
    PS--Lots of good information can be found using the Search button located in the upper right corner of this page

• My CF Speardiver 120 is awesome for beach diving. Worth the extra cost for the CF barrel since you will have the gun a long time. Im pretty sure the bands weight more then the gun does. I end up lugging a lot of crap up and down the beach so its nice that at least my gun is light. Im not sure how much of a difference it makes in the water but its enough on land that I am glad I have a CF gun. Plus it looks like... wayyyy cooler. My gun is so perfectly balanced in the water its crazy. CF is a luxury, but imho one with clear utilitarian benefits.

Edited 2 times, last by Reefchief ().

• I'm curious, what is the weight of a Speardiver CF 120 barrel with plugs? (no handle assembly, no muzzle, no reel attachment, no screws, just the plugged barrel alone)

Also, does the Rob Allen Closed Muzzle fit the Speardiver CF barrel?

Thanks!

• I'm curious, what is the weight of a Speardiver CF 120 barrel with plugs? (no handle assembly, no muzzle, no reel attachment, no screws, just the plugged barrel alone)

12oz (340 grams).

Also, does the Rob Allen Closed Muzzle fit the Speardiver CF barrel?

No. RA handle and muzzle are both male and female, and the space between the spigot and the sleeve is smaller than the wall thickness of the Speardiver carbon barrel. Rob Allen carbon barrel ends appear to be thinned to fit the components. This is really strange because the whole purpose of the sleeve is to enforce the carbon tube, but thinning the barrel walls to make it fit weakens the barrel. Bottom line is if the carbon barrel has good wall thickness, only a spigot will do and a sleeve is not necessary.

• 12oz (340 grams).
    No. RA handle and muzzle are both male and female, and the space between the spigot and the sleeve is smaller than the wall thickness of the Speardiver carbon barrel. Rob Allen carbon barrel ends appear to be thinned to fit the components. This is really strange because the whole purpose of the sleeve is to enforce the carbon tube, but thinning the barrel walls to make it fit weakens the barrel. Bottom line is if the carbon barrel has good wall thickness, only a spigot will do and a sleeve is not necessary.

the ra muzzle will fit, if you cut off the outer part , and if i remember right sand down the male part a little .

• Phil, that's good thinking outside the box. It didn't occur to me to cut off the sleeve.

On the other hand why go to the trouble of modifying an RA muzzle, it doesn't allow routing the shooting line well, and even without this fault is not a particularly good muzzle.

• Hey Dan,

Did you receive my e-mail about CF barrels? Just wondering if you had some in stock for pick up, and if so how much would you do an install for? I was thinking Friday if thats good for you.

Chase

Relax & Go Spearfishing

• Phil, that's good thinking outside the box. It didn't occur to me to cut off the sleeve.

On the other hand why go to the trouble of modifying an RA muzzle, it doesn't allow routing the shooting line well, and even without this fault is not a particularly good muzzle.

simple ,its what the customer wanted , it was a older gen ra muzzle and and he liked , so thats what he got

phil

• so with a carbon tube, you just push a rubber plug inside?? if it needs to be repositioned then you push it all the way through and start over again I assume?