Reefchiefs Ameri-euro reef build.

• Hi marginatus thanks for the feedback. Ive actually been toying with both of those ideas a bit and have a version that looks eerily similar to your drawing. The Abellan denton does both of those things pretty much like that. I do prefer a traditional bottom of the gun line wrap/guide (was planning on putting a hole in it for the line) but with the side line release it may make sense to offset it towards the side the release is on.

I should also mention I would like to eventually remove horns from the places opposite the line release so there is only a horn where the wrap will go.

• I didn't mention it earlier in the thread but I am piggybacking this build with mark. I am going to make mine have 130cm band stretch and be basically the same in all other ways. I am so stoked for a mutton cannon!

i like to spear fish

• I didn't mention it earlier in the thread but I am piggybacking this build with mark. I am going to make mine have 130cm band stretch and be basically the same in all other ways. I am so stoked for a mutton cannon!

Funny to see all you pipe gun boys comming over to the dark side :p

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Funny to see all you pipe gun boys comming over to the dark side :p

The verdict is still out on the big wooden boat for me :) I like my carbon pipegun so much that I may not end up liking this gun based on it being so different. But like you with the reel I want to experiment for myself and go against my instincts a bit and try new things. If I dont like it im sure I can find someone interested in buying it for at least what it cost me to build.

Judah is already half way there shooting a wooden tito gun with pipegun handle and a 19/16 band muzzle and inline bands. I think he wants to turn that thing into a 19mm band only reef gun and make this gun his new bigger mutton and grouper sniping monster.

• Exactly. It is really funny you say that. I was going to tie a new band for my Tito and I realized I didn't have my kit so I rigged up the rob Allen. I was momentarily disappointed. It was so funny. I felt like a wood gun snob. I quickly remembered the 100's of fish that have met their end by that gun and I was stoked to get her back in the water.

i like to spear fish

• Made some sawdust last night with my Dad. Cut the recess as well as part of the mech pocket. Also did a lot of grinding on the trigger and handle to get the mech and trigger to sit flush. The design has changed a bit to create a flat shelf for the bands.

• Made some significant progress. Me and my dad had some free time the last few days and we did pretty much all the hard stuff. It went pretty quick and I didn't mess anything up, almost like I know what I am doing or something. :crazy: Really starting to take shape now.

• Nice work. The line release looks long enough?

It's almost long enough as is. it barely extends past, once it's round and shaped it's going to be plenty wide. I may add a recess as well but probably won't need one.

• Can't stop workin on this darn thing. Diving was a wash today with 15 + winds so I decided to do some more work on the gun. Very pleased with how it turned outs.

• Heres what im thinking for the muzzle right now, basically what marginatus was talking about earlier in the thread.

holes have been made bigger to fit a #6 stainless screw.

• [quote='LunkerBuster','http://spearfishing.world/forums/index.php?thread/&postID=89406#post89406']You are gonna be done before my blank gets here!![/QUOT]

Patience is a virtue! Aw, screw patience, I'll take another look at it tomorrow!

• Can't stop workin on this darn thing. Diving was a wash today with 15 + winds so I decided to do some more work on the gun. Very pleased with how it turned outs. http://i.imgur.com/9amZQgb.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/fzPRftA.jpg

For this mech, I would have recessed the mech a bit more in the pocket so that the top of the casing is flush with the stock.
    This will give you a "deep" open track since you're using sharkfins anyway...+ the slot for the line release would be a bit more comfortable to work with.
    If the trigger starts to rub against the trigger guard handle...you can always shave a few mm off the trigger.
    Ihab

• For this mech, I would have recessed the mech a bit more in the pocket so that the top of the casing is flush with the stock.
    This will give you a "deep" open track since you're using sharkfins anyway...+ the slot for the line release would be a bit more comfortable to work with.
    If the trigger starts to rub against the trigger guard handle...you can always shave a few mm off the trigger.
    Ihab

Thanks Ihab I considered a deep open track on this gun but decided against it for a few reasons. One is so that I could recess the handle as I did (the mech and handle are touching so there is no extra room there). Also so I could make the stock thinner at the muzzle and still have room in the muzzle to offset the bands vertically. I also wanted to try a track of this nature, one deep enough to easily hold the spear but still high enough the spear is visible.

I actually switched to the reverse mech with top line release since the mech wasnt going to be set completely into the stock it made much more sense.

The trigger had already been adjusted quite a bit to have a different angle, shape, and width.

• Thanks Ihab I considered a deep open track on this gun but decided against it for a few reasons. One is so that I could recess the handle as I did (the mech and handle are touching so there is no extra room there). Also so I could make the stock thinner at the muzzle and still have room in the muzzle to offset the bands vertically. I also wanted to try a track of this nature, one deep enough to easily hold the spear but still high enough the spear is visible.

I actually switched to the reverse mech with top line release since the mech wasnt going to be set completely into the stock it made much more sense.

The trigger had already been adjusted quite a bit to have a different angle, shape, and width.

Could some material be removed from the trigger or handle to make them more close?

A less tall trigger allows fro a high handle and best position to control the gun and absorb energy...

Looking good!!

• Thanks! The only thing possible left would be to shave the base of the handle thinner, or make a handle out of wood or sheet metal like abellan, and that would only get me a few mm more so its pretty much as close as its going to get.

I looked at a fancy short reverse mech from a euro builder but it was completely lacking in many ways compared with the speardiver mechs (hardness, mech engagement and shaft fit, finish, assembly, line release was stupid). So I sacrificed some height for a nice robust american mech.