Reefchiefs Ameri-euro reef build.

• Been itching to start building a new gun for a long time. Plus I need a nice stress reliever for taking breaks from work so I decided to start planning a new gun. I love my speardiver carbon pipegun, but ive been thinking about a 120ish wooden reef gun for a long time. So I decided on building a wooden euro gun with an American shaft. My main goal is to build a gun with some decent mass so I can power it up a little bit. And build an intricate tapered design to challenge my woodworking skills have fun designing it etc.

Heres the plan so far.

58" teak stock from the luxurious vaults of woodguy.
    Vertical and horizontal taper, recessed handle. band recesses in stock.
    Deep open track.
    2x16mm tight bands.
    Speardiver 7mm 62" US sharkfin shaft.
    Speardiver AR-15 handle.
    Speardiver reverse trigger mech.
    Speardiver Line wrap/guide.

Im doing some planning in rhino3d trying to figure out a shape that will taper nicely, absorb the shape of the bands a bit, and level them out to some degree. So far this is what ive got. The end will probably need some adjustments to have a chance of holding the bands up how I want them to be. Maybe some stainless risers are in order.

Im open to any any all input and criticisms of the design. I might not listen, but I do appreciate different points of view on gun design. In the mean time its time to give Dan a visit and start collecting parts.

Updates will be coming slowly but steadily.

Edited 2 times, last by Reefchief ().

• Very nice looking drawing.
    However I personally do not like the way you are holding the bands. I personally would prefer a more "traditional" "tie in" muzzle with an incorporated shark spike. But this is just my personal preference.
    Good luck with your build
    There are many very exceptional gun builders here on this forum that have years of gun building experience that like to help.
    Hope this helps

• Cant wait to see how this one comes out...loved your bluewater gun so I am sure this will be as well thought out and sexy as your last build.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Thanks guys.

Hau. Yes I am definitely not a fan of tie in bands. I like the way a full band lays in a loop instead of in a line, and I like the extra stretch over the front of the gun.

jaguigui. Yes parts of this gun inc the muzzle are def inspired by the abellan and other euro guns. I think the stainless will offer a number of advantages including making the muzzle very small, putting a durable metal cap on the gun, incorporating a line guide into the plate. Also looking forward to trying to fabricate the plate.

Thanks George. This one is gonna be a major technical challenge to do all the shaping but if I pull it off I think its gonna be pretty sexy.

• I was also wonder if anyone can recommend which type of stainless steel plate would work best for this application? (the muzzle)

2mm...316 grade stainless steel.....if you can send me the drawing of the muzzle in CAD...I can laser cut it and a few more....you pay for shipping only.

Ihab

• Thanks for the extremely generous offer I will glady take! :thumbsup2: I will send you the design in a few weeks once I get it finalized as well as payment for shipping and the materials too. Thanks again!!!

• 2mm...316 grade stainless steel.....if you can send me the drawing of the muzzle in CAD...I can laser cut it and a few more....you pay for shipping only.

Ihab

That's awesome!!!!!

• 2mm...316 grade stainless steel.....if you can send me the drawing of the muzzle in CAD...I can laser cut it and a few more....you pay for shipping only.

Ihab

This ^^^^ is ANOTHER of the reasons I love spearfishing and spearfishing people.
    Thanks Ihab.:toast2:
    Many times I wish that I had more to contribute
    Good luck with your build Reefchief :)

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited once, last by hau ().

• You're welcomed...actually you're doing me a favor by designing the muzzle which I may end up using after your permission.
    You only need to pay for shipping......nothing else.

Ihab

• if you want the bands flush with the gun, the band channels shouldn't be parallel to the spear... at the back, the band is actually above the spear and if loading 2 in the same fin, the inside one will be higher... not sure I made myself clear...

• Ihad sounds good to me. That would be cool!

Yes marginatus thanks i understand. A little bit of angle is okay, im just trying to avoid the major angle and wrapping around the stock that happens with usual band holes. They will also be on seperate shark fins so it should give it some room.

Plans have changed a lot to allow both bands to sit level. Im either going to love or hate this gun based on how different it is from my carbon pipegun. But at this point its almost the antithesis. Although I guess it makes sense to make a gun that is different from my pipegun (wide, flat bands, powered up, heavy). Instead of a wooden copycat that could never live up to its nimbleness.

Ill post some new renderings soon.

This came in the mail in the meantime. Is it weird that I cant stop smelling it? Thanks again woodguy its extremely beautiful and flawless.

• Here is my current working design for the muzzle. I like the top half but the bottom im a bit unsure of.

Top top half will match the track width and is a bit wide for the spear to clear. The rounded lines in the middle will act as a line guide. And the triangle at the bottom will be bent out and used as a line wrap (maybe).