Riffe shaft- threaded to flopper ?

• Iv been wanting to switch out my 42" threaded riffe shaft with that large heavy tip for some time and was wondering, is their any reason I'm not thinking of why I shouldn't grind off the threads and add a flopper? Seams simple and would solve some issues Iv had.

• I would take the heavy spear tip off and see how the shaft flies. If your having accuracy issues it could be other variables or your performance expectations maybe too high for that particular gun. I think its good to have a threaded shaft in your quiver. Gives you lots of options.:toast:

• Ill be left with about 11" of overhang.
    It's a small gun that shoots good, the issues iv had are tearing up smaller fish and some times penetration(when slightly dull). I don't really need two shafts for it so I'd hate to drop a bunch of money on a new one. I just wasn't sure if Hawaiian shaft tips were tempered or treated differently than my threaded one so that it might give me problems.

• Linghunt makes some super duper tips (just a tip) that will fit over your threads and behind it you drill and put a flopper

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• What is the shaft size and thread.

I think George is referring to my new granite rock crack-it tip.

Still in test mode, Got a big rock I need to pick up from a friend in another town so I have something harder to shoot vs soft steel plate.

Pictures will be available when I'm done testing.

--- Another off the wall design below ----------

Here are some pictures of the Blunt Force Trauma Tip to be used to smack the crap out of lionfish.

Just want to kill them and NOT deal with the harvest. I tried to fit this on a tip for George, but he wanted the 1st wing too close to the tip. The tip snaps on with a cir-clip and pops back off when not needed. I had to add some groove to get it off by hand. a cir-clip is the same concept used for all the swivels we use. one side is just a small radius groove vs a slot.

Not sure if it will work, but will it will be a nice snap on tip cover at a minimum.

I drilled a side hole so it could be hooked on one of my polespear stow clips.

• Those are tiny tips for paralyzers

This design below using replaceable points out of 17-4 are everywhere. This tip material holds up really well, I think the new one will be much better.

• Those are tiny tips for paralyzers

This design below using replaceable points out of 17-4 are everywhere. This tip material holds up really well, I think the new one will be much better.

http://www.linghunt.com/ForumPosts/Doublewing-SMALL-COPY.jpg

That will work. Would they still be strong enough around rocks if the tip was longer so the flopper was on the point and not the shaft?

• That will work. Would they still be strong enough around rocks if the tip was longer so the flopper was on the point and not the shaft?

Yes. the female pocket for the shaft can go down the shaft with a .001" clearance to provide more strength.

For the extreme shot, you will always have a weak spot. One might want a bent tip over a bent shaft. Just food for thought.

• Finally finish a couple parts for George. I sure made him wait a while.

I changed the contour on the point a little for more sharping area, and I modified the face of the trama Cap with a radial V-groove. figured it might help stop it from sliding a little till it get bunged up in rocks.

• Amazing work as always John! Can't wait to match the fish to those tips ;) lionfish better tremble when I get that trauma cap!

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Linghunt---man I LIKE that point. I don't see many Lion fish out in the blue, but that thread-on nicely tapered dbl flopper might be a better alternative to a slip-tip. Great craftsmanship sir. Congratulations :toast:
    PERHAPS we could ask our FAVORITE dive store ;) to start selling: large shark finned, 6mm threaded, SS spears :D . What do you think Dan? (I need 2 today).

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited once, last by hau ().

• Those tips have George's fingerprints all over them,

I made what he wanted, granted I made them a tad sexier that normal, but need to keep him motivated in the water. :laughing:

I got my 8o pound rock outside. I will do some testing next week on alternate material.

Got a big order of custom motorcycle parts again.

• There is a small radial groove on the tip shaft. inside the cap there is a deep grooved groove with a Stainless ring in it. this ring is short of a full circle. slide cap on tip and it expands the ring then it "snaps" into the small groove to hold on.

Pretty trick attachment.

Funny thing is you have them in your gear. All of those swivels, that's what is inside them. Only difference is the groove is deeper and a square slot. Once it snaps in, you can't get it off. The rating on those is based on the force to shear off the small ring in the two slots.

George will lose that one in no time. The next one I think I will add a couple holes in the front at an angle so water can pass thru it for reduced drag while keeping the OD of the cap.

Edited once, last by Linghunt: typo ().