Making weights for weight vest.

• After getting my new Speardiver weight vest I now had the problem of finding weights that would fit the small pockets. Buying them was never an option as I have a few hundred pounds of lead laying around so I searched around to see what others had done to make there's. I found nothing....so here's what I came up with and I hope it helps others.

Ill say first off that if your not familiar working with lead you should do a little research first as it can be dangerous in a few ways.

I first thought of making a mold out of wood but decided I didn't want to put in that much work so I walked a few different stores looking for objects that fit the 3.5x2.5" size needed that would hold hot lead. I now know the demotions of every brand of sardine can sold in town :laughing3: I ended up getting a stainless sheetrock mud pan that is 12" long but had about a 2.5" wide bottom. I made a mark about a 1/2" off the bottom for a fill line and used a level to make sure the lead would be uniform. This takes about 8lbs of lead for one pour so I used a cast iron kettle that is large enough to hold 20+ lbs. I poured two bars a little over 1/2" thick and two a little under. I used a hatchet and hammer to cut each bar in to three 3.5" chunks, it was easier than using a saw. Hammered the cut edges round and touched it up with a file to get all the edges smooth. the end product dose flair out a little past 2 1/2" wide because of the mud pan shape but they fit in the pockets just fine. I weighed each one just so I knew what I was working with and the six that were just under 1/2" thick were all around 1.5lbs and the six thicker ones about 2.5lbs.

• Well done, they look very clean, at least that side :) I never used a mud pan before, even though I messed around with drywall a little. I had to look it up as it wasn't clear to me from your pic exactly what it is. Belt and vest weights are on my list of things to get done, but the list is so F'n long..

After you try the Speardiver weight vest I'm interested to know how you like the new weight distribution.

BTW what's that ball n' bungee?

• Great thread, wish you had pictures of the actual process so dummies like me could follow

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• What is it's original intended use.. where did you get it.. :rolleyes1:

It's a tarp bungee. I got them from Walmart for $5-10. I shorten it by about half by pulling the bungee threw the ball and trying a new knot.

The lead shown is the back side (side touching air when poured) it's not as smooth but not bad enough to clean up.

If it's needed I can set up a few pictures after work that show what I did better.

• Nice work. I use a bread pan and a spam can for my belts and vest. Your vest will last a lot longer if you remove the weights after each dive.

Thanks, I wondered about the weights tearing the vest up, I'll do that.

Dan, I used the vest last week and liked it, but it was to just add weight for shallow water. The king salmon are in so I need extra lead to keep me on the bottom at 10'. Now packing 28lbs of lead down the beach! Ill post about the vest after I've changed up my normal 21lbs.