Best band/Shaft configuration for a railgun

• Hello everyone, I have for the very first time in my life a Rob Allen Tuna Railgun. I had had in the past a bunch of railguns, all of them accurate and all but this one is different. I used to shoot with two 5/8´s with no problems, but this gun kicks as hell and is helplessly inaccurate with that configuration. I got rid of one band and is dead on. Is it me or there´s something I can do to improve accuracy with two bands?

Thank you in advance.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• Stock is 2 x 16mm. I'd check the shaft for straight, check the flopper. Make sure the two bands have no more than %300 elongation. Then once everything is dialed in and shooting correctly, I throw away that POS and get a real gun.

• Hahhahahahha, Dan I fuggin love you man hahhahaha :D

I got it as a token of appreciation from my wife and now I´m trying to figure out how to shoot the dang thing the most accurately way posible. :laughing:

• When I first got a RA in my hands all shots went high. Then I got used to it and never missed a shot again.

I have that very same gun (Tuna 130) and it performs very well with 2 x 16 mm (5/8") bands and 7 mm shaft. I assume yours is brand new? It shouldn't have any problem. Just glue the safety so it doesn't engages accidentally. It's the only mod I made to it. Are you loading the bands how they're supposed to? Take a picture of it loaded (at the beach maybe) and show it to us.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• I have had good experiences with my rob Allens. I usually use a 7.5mm w a pair of 5/8 bands.

On my little gun. A 90, I have a 19mm band and a 7 mm shaft

i like to spear fish

• Thank you for your quick response.

Yes Marco it is brand new, but something is making it shooting inaccurately and with too much recoil. With just one band is dead on. Maybe rigging a reel on it could deal with the ecess of recoil?

• Try a 7.5 shaft if you have one. More mass being thrown might reduce the kick.

Sorry Judah, but I think that phisics say the opposite...

Toño: You need a man behind the gun to handle the recoil... :rolleyes1::laughing3:

Now seriously, if you're used to wooden spearguns, you will feel a lot of recoil in a railgun, but if you keep your arm straight, blocking your wirst and elbow, you won't feel it that bad.

I personally, like railguns better than wooden because if they are well balanced, they move easier in the water. But the recoil is what it is.

Marco Melis

• Cool. I see how it can work that way. I was confused about increasing the mass of the gun vs increasing the mass of the projectile.

I think it might be about familiarity too. I am by no means a great shot but I do well with the rob allen

i like to spear fish

• I t might be the opposite but he said one band was accurate, wouldn't a heavier shaft handle the load of two bands better creating a more accurate shot?

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• I shoot the same gun, same set up. Never noticed the recoil, but I have shot Arbalete style guns all of my life. No problems with accuracy either, unless a shaft is bent or flopper is stuck. A friend of mine asked for my gun in the water once for a kill shot, she shot it and came up saying that it hurt her hand. The recoil had messed up her thumb, and she had to go to the clinic. I shoot a 7.5mm shaft, and some pretty tight 16mm bands.

• The recoil is the less of my concerns, cause I am used to much bigger guns, but I wasn´t able to hit anything with it, until I got rid of the band. Maybe I gotta get used to it as you said, cause a lot of people is using the two bands configuration with no problems.

I liked the one band configuration though, maybe I will get a bigger single band to get the best of both things power and easy loading.

Thanks Juddah, Marco ,Dan, George and Mighty kc. I will update my next config findings soon.

• Both Steven and I have used the pipe gun with a single 19 mm band. Very fast gun to hunt with. By fast I mean reloading and shooting again.
    Rarely a valuable skill because I breath up between shots but when you miss or are in a big school I have gotten a few bonus fish thanks to that configuration

i like to spear fish

• The recoil is the less of my concerns, cause I am used to much bigger guns, but I wasn´t able to hit anything with it, until I got rid of the band. Maybe I gotta get used to it as you said, cause a lot of people is using the two bands configuration with no problems.

I liked the one band configuration though, maybe I will get a bigger single band to get the best of both things power and easy loading.

Thanks Juddah, Marco ,Dan, George and Mighty kc. I will update my next config findings soon.

I am 100% with you with the single 20mm band. I could kill many more snapper or mackerel with this set up when they were schooling up around the rigs, as opposed to my buddies with the multi band Wood guns. Would still be using single band if my shoulder would allow. Loading the single 20mm is a job for me anymore, so I reluctantly went to 2 - 16mm bands. I seen an old picture of a south African diver with a huge marlin, much larger than anything we would shoot here in the States, killed with a single band Roballen speargun.

• Maybe a single thick band will do the job. And Toño shouldn't have any problems loading it. Just cut it a little bit longer than the original bands. You can always cut it shorter.

Marco Melis

• I converted all my guns to single 19mm band with 7mm shaft. I felt like the double 16's were too much and wouldn't allow me to slowly squeeze the trigger back and I would fight the trigger. Now my guns shoot like lasers and the recoil is very minimal and actually pulls out 2ft of line from my reel when reaches the end of a single wrap so power is there. Also, Rob Allen has many guys on youtube shooting big marlins with 7mm shaft and single 19mm band all day.

Relax & Go Spearfishing

• Should not have a single wrap chase, I personally am unhappy if my spear doesn't bounce back on two wraps of shooting line, I add a extra wrap from my reel ;)

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• I personally dont feel like a double wrap is necessary unless your hunting big fish at long range. Most fish I hunt can be harvested by polespear including a 7lb Hogfish I landed in 15' of water, my best fish to date. Each gun is only capable of so much performance.

Just my .02,

Chase

Relax & Go Spearfishing