New Member from Huntington Beach

• Hi, everybody new here from Huntington Beach. I moved to hb a year ago and have been surfing a lot and have just wanted to adventure into the spear fishing world I am a total newb but I'm very serious about gettin into the sport.

• Welcome to the user friendly forum.

What are you going after, what weapons do you have? or plan to buy?

Some details and the Boys will be telling you more info than you want to know.

I'm in Northern CA, btw. I like cold, murky water with big swells. Or at least that is what I'm used to. LOL

Been to Santa Barbara, warm water and good vis was like "strange" to me.

Warm water and 100 ft vis in Mexico seemed like Mars to me. Diving without a Hood was crazy diving.

• Linghunt, Right now I'm just getting into it so just starting to buy the necessities. I have fins mask and snorkel all from cressi. I do need to get a spearo camo wet suit, weights, and belt. Then the gun that is the hardest choice for me so far i have looked at the Cressi Comanche 110 and also looked into the Mako guns. I would rather not throw a ton of cash at this right away since I'm sure I will figure out what i really want or like after I get more experience.

• Dan has some nice wetsuits in the Freedivestore on top of forum. I'm sure he would help you figure out what would work best.

If your just getting into it, you could get a cheap gun on Ebay and add bands and some care to get it going. Then again you might not want a repair project to save a few $$.

You have to decide if you want a Band gun or a pneumatic type or a Polespear.

Dan has some nice band guns to pick from in spearfishing.store too.

If you are into poles, then I can help you out or refer you to someone else.

I like the small pneumatic mares guns, I mount a light on the side and it's great for digging into holes.

All back to what you think you will be doing. Do some research on your expected dive areas and see what the boys are using and go from there.

A field trip to your area to check it out and see what others are doing might be good start. I only have dove out of Santa Barbara once, don't know the area so well. Consider you might be traveling in spear-o adventures too.

• Linghunt, Right now I'm just getting into it so just starting to buy the necessities. I have fins mask and snorkel all from cressi. I do need to get a spearo camo wet suit, weights, and belt. Then the gun that is the hardest choice for me so far i have looked at the Cressi Comanche 110 and also looked into the Mako guns. I would rather not throw a ton of cash at this right away since I'm sure I will figure out what i really want or like after I get more experience.

I completely understand this but let me tell you that you will like it. and you will be annoyed you bought inferior gear and have to replace it.
    I would buy nice gear so if, by some chance you don't like diving, you can resell it and recoup your money.

i like to spear fish

Don't buy the speargun from Mako - get one here from Dan. Better speargun at same price.

Same for wetsuit. Buy it here from Dan.

Same for weight belt - buy it from Dan

Weights buy local because of shipping cost related to weight.

Good luck and welcome - I started in early 50's freediving/spearfishing and still love it. Can't dive worth a sxxt anymore :nono: - but still love it and try to go somewhere to dive at least once a year. Great sport.

• Lots of good advice here.

The spearing is real easy here in Socal. I have a garage full of gear but I really enjoy trunking it with a 2mm rash guard, voit fins and a 4-6ft pole spear. I see guys showing up with $2000 worth of gear and its kinda laughable watchng them do the walk of shame while I am lugging my catch up the hill.:laughing3:. Just take it slow and focus on safety. The ocean has alot of ways to kick your ass. Too may deaths around PV this past week.

A Biller 48 is a great starter gun for local diving. A second hand Riffe would be a good step up from the Biller. Dans stuff is quality gear when your ready for it. Avoid Mako at all cost.

My 2cents.

• I started in early 50's freediving/spearfishing and still love it. Can't dive worth a sxxt anymore.

You started diving in the 1950"s or when you were 50 ?

Had a customer last summer who was 75 from San Diego Area, wanted custom tips for shooting Northern Pike with Grandsons in Montana. He will probably still be going strong when he's 90. He looked 60-ish from pictures.

• You started diving in the 1950"s or when you were 50 ?

Had a customer last summer who was 75 from San Diego Area, wanted custom tips for shooting Northern Pike with Grandsons in Montana. He will probably still be going strong when he's 90. He looked 60-ish from pictures.

Ha ha -started early 50's when I was 10-11 years old. Our gear was very primitive but we speared some big fish. I still spear fish but the deep long dives are a thing of the past :@

• Thank you guys for all the great advice. You all make it more exciting to get into the sport. I will for sure look into all my equipment on the free dive store. I can't wait to get out of work in Alaska and back to HB for some fun in the ocean again.