Omer Cayman ET review

• Hi there. I was wondering if any of you guys have experience with the Omer enclosed track (Cayman et) I think the gun is well built but somehow the idea of the so called E.T. seems redundant in a gun with so little power (just two bands) But maybe I´m wrong and the gun could be an excellent rig.

Any opinions or experiences with it would be appreciated.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• I have held one a few times and like most Omer caymans I thought it was kind of cheap feeling. I'm sure it shoots nice though. Maybe Hau will chime in I think he used one for months.

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• I'm familiar with the omer Cayman ET. The gun is well designed and built, all the components fit and work well together. It's a nice looking gun.

But I feel it fails to occupy any necessary niche. The whole purpose of a pipe speargun is to be light and maneuverable with good power and range, and be relatively inexpensive. The Cayman ET is heavy (hard to track), cumbersome (inconvenient to swim with) and expensive. At the same time adding nothing to power and accuracy, only the convenience of not having the shaft fall off the track as you load it. The latter can be achieved with a deep track.

• I know where´re you coming from guys, I concur with the idea that all the afore mentioned features of the ET are a bit on the " Engineering overstatement" side. I got one of those in a trade though, and I´m eager lo get it wet. Another thing is that is a 130 as well and I really think that the good things that railguns put on the tablel (no pun intended) are better suited for shorter rigs. I will write a report as soon as i use the thing.

Edited once, last by monster slayer ().

• Just the fact that it has more mass means u should be able to shoot it with tight bands and the recoil would be less than a similarly powered railgun

That´s what I thought, maybe it would be useful as a light bluewater rig with two tight bands and a break away set up. The shafts´s barely 6.75 mm, I guess I should upgrade it to a 7 mm one.

• I'm familiar with the omer Cayman ET. The gun is well designed and built, all the components fit and work well together. It's a nice looking gun.

But I feel it fails to occupy any necessary niche. The whole purpose of a pipe speargun is to be light and maneuverable with good power and range, and be relatively inexpensive. The Cayman ET is heavy (hard to track), cumbersome (inconvenient to swim with) and expensive. At the same time adding nothing to power and accuracy, only the convenience of not having the shaft fall off the track as you load it. The latter can be achieved with a deep track.

This ^^^^ is perfect information.
    I was given one of the first Omer Caymen ET 105s to test years and years ago and I really enjoyed shooting it, even though it was just a 105. At that time I was in Ft. Lauderdale waters and preferred at least a heavier 110 length gun for those reefs. At that time, the Cayman ET was THE first PRODUCTION near pipe Enclosed Track guns. Not a true pipe gun, as it has a cuttlebone shaped alum barrel. The Omer Cayman was soon followed by the first TRUE Enclosed Track pipe guns (ETPG). The Cayman ET never let me down and after I shortened the bands it would really spit that 6.75mm spear with no spear whip. I bent several spears on fish but I was not surprised by that and I was even using the shortest spear possible.
    IMO, a 130 Cayman ET could be a VERY fast spear, but I would make sure to have at least 1 or 2 spare spears AND wishbones. I seem to remember that I went through wishbones often. I LOVED the CAYMAN grip and removable loading pad and the fact that the Cayman ET recoiled straight back into the web of my hand. I might caution any Enclosed Track users about taking close shots in the reef or hard surface with an Enclosed Track gun. If the spear tip hits the reef or hard surface and the rest of the spear is still in the gun. You won't break out the top of the Cayman ET track like on a wood enclosed track, but you will bend the 6.75 spear and just a slight spear bend will stop you from being able to reload the spear into the enclosed track.
    Conclusion---the Omer Cayman is a nice gun but it has its limitations, like any other gun.
    hope this helps

• That´s what i was talking about Hau! Excellent first hand info. Very useful indeed. Thanks for the time you took to write that very clarifying explanation.

Thank you very much.

• Now my thoughts after one underwater hunt with this rig.

Pros. Really accurate and powerful with no noticeable recoil. I could hit a fish from 15 feet away with no problems.

The gun is light and manuverable underwater and pretty easy to load. A delight to dive with. Nice in deep water.

Cons: The thing scratches as hell, mine was brand new and now looks like a junk ( Et black) I don´t baby my gear though, I always put it to the test in very harsh conditions.

It´s imposible to fit a fresh band should you need one, cause the muzzle has no slot. The open muzzle design is flawed, is not that good.

The Omer shaft is absoulte crap, thaitian flopper that gets in the way and cheap shit. I´ll swap to a riffe shaft immedately.

Bottomline

The gun is insanely expensive but it´s worth it with a couple of mods. I really think that is an overall better gun than a Rob Allen is. The Ra kicks as hell with two bands, is harder to load and is not as accurate. That is my point of view of course. I have both rigs in the same length. Cayman ET better option than a RA in the long run, but the RA is 100 bucks cheaper, so I call it a draw.

• HAu, I was thinking on swapping the original shaft (which is feeble) for a Riffe Euro shaft with regular tabs, but somewhere I have read that is not safe. What do you think about this?

• monster slayer---I ALWAYS used Riffe Euro spears in my Caymen ET. (with a loading tab for those LOOONG 2ft shots on the elusive Florida hog fish :D )
    IMO, the SAFEST bet is to contact Mark of OMER USA. Mark has always been very helpful to me.

(GREAT pictures and nice write up about the ET. Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge sir :toast: )

• Thanks to you brother, I´m going to use the riffe shafts, I´m pretty sure they are going to work considering your experience wit that configuration. I really appreciate your advice and insights on this matter, Thanks Hau