Spearfishing Trindad & Tobago 2014

• Back again in Trini for summer diving 2014 :cool2:
    First day out with new koah fatback, getting used to it and hitting some nice fish, went with a flopper which I now regret.
    Crevali is missing from cooler pic but decent start.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Marco the flopper tip is not something I am used to and maybe that was part of the issues I had. The flopper tip does major damage to fish during a fight if you don't hit them right. Was fighting a 18lb Crevali yesterday and being green to flopper techniques after getting hold of the fish I didn't grab the end of the spear, the fish gave a last effort shake on the surface and the flopper had fallen back allowing the fish to shake off the shaft and get away :( The flopper broke on a big Crevali today, just not my thing, gave it a try because of the accuracy and speed of a flopper shaft but back to my slip tips tomorrow for me!

George Steele

• Well no, I have seen Marco and others take down wahoo with floppers, yes expensive it can get but I prefer the cost to losing a fish or killing a fish needlessly.
    Floppers definitely don't suit me.

George Steele

• A properly tuned flopper won't close accidentally. Just take a vice and press at the pin area. You will notice some resistance at the end of the opening and will stay open if you release it.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Best if you take a vice grip on the boat. I tune mine but one larger snapper or grouper will detune it, or loosen the pinch at the pin, where it doesn't stick open anymore.
    I've had a tuned flopper get detuned in the process of trying to land a big cobia. Bu the time I got hold of the spear shaft the cobia went straight up and out of the water. The flopper fell down closed, the shaft dropped with the flopper on top of the shaft and the fish slipped right off. I cried for 10 minutes.

• Almost exactly what happened to me! You all are mad to go through all of that confusion, I am back to my slip tip and landing fish today.

I've had a tuned flopper get detuned in the process of trying to land a big cobia. Bu the time I got hold of the spear shaft the cobia went straight up and out of the water. The flopper fell down closed, the shaft dropped with the flopper on top of the shaft and the fish slipped right off. I cried for 10 minutes.

George Steele

• I think Marco has a point too though and it has to do with the quality of your flopper. A hard stainless steel wouldn't bend back so easily. Dan's are good. I've had some others that are much softer and bend back more easily.

Nice black George. haha You posted right as I did.

• Got another Cubera this morning on a quick one this morning in the Bocas... yes the Riffe in the background is loaded but Bequia Blues only came aboard to help with the fish before reentering the water.
    spearfishing.world/forum/attachment/8317/spearfishing.world/forum/attachment/8318/

George Steele