First gun recommendations

• Since I live inland, I have to drive anywhere from 2-5hrs to spear and usually only do so if conditions are good, so what I've gathered is that I need a gun with a little reach--was thinking 120cm gun. Now, a friend recommended I consider a SA railgun due to their durability and I'm all about durability :laughing:. Being that this will be my first gun, I'm not looking to splurge $$. Was hoping to find something for ~$250. Although I've read some negative comments about the Mako guns on this forum, I've really only come across positive reviews on the functionality of their products elsewhere. Plus, they've just improved their railgun model, so, I'm leaning heavily toward a 120cm Mako Predator Pro 2nd Generation speargun at the moment...that price ($230 shipped) is just phenomenal. Would appreciate some feedback and/or other recommendations. Is a railgun the way to go? Any other great "bang-for-your-buck" guns? Anyone have a Mako or tried the new 2nd generation railgun? Is that a good length?

• Stay away from Mako. Lots of bogus positive reviews on the internet and the negative reviews get deleted from certain forums. Would be a crap shoot. A second hand riffe might be an option.

• I second the "stay away from Mxxx". :nono:

And second Dan's speargun for very similar price but better quality and personal service easily found through Mr. Hau's hot link. :thumbsup2:

• Wow, I can't believe what I've learned since joining this forum....everything/everyone is so "real" here. I had considered "brandxxx" too...wen I used to frequent the other "place". I have also looked at that Phantom and now realize it's from a local shop run by a trusted, experienced shooter. Indeed my business will go to Speardiver.

• Another budget gun that I would consider is the Marc Valentin, love it, never had a problem with it.
    I used a 130cm one for years recently and it was excellent. Simple, light, accurate!
    just be careful with the thin shaft if you are going to shoot larger fish.

• Since you clearly stated that this will be your "first" gun, it seems safe to assume that you will get another.

So instead of looking for a cheaper gun now (and this is not to say that cheap means inferior) go ahead and just buy what you think you really like or need and not let price be a decisive factor? In the long run, it will probably work out cheaper. I would guess that at least 90% or the divers on here have gone through the same process.

I still have a few of my "beginner" guns….but lucky I have three sons that inherited them. :D

• I've been spearfishing for more than 30 years now and my personal preference are pipe guns. I'm the one shooting the speardiver phantom at their site video. That was my first shot with one of them as I personally don't own one. I borrowed it from a friend because a wahoo took away my shaft. Shot was dead on.

If I was in the market for a speargun, that would be my choice without any hesitation.

Besides, a Speardiver 120 is a true 130 because of the reverse mechanism that adds 10 cm of band pull.

Make sure you order it with a carbon steel shaft, way more durable than stainless.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

Edited once, last by Marco ().

• A wooden should have less recoil, so man up and hold your speargun as you were a man!

:D

Railguns are though as hell, I throw mine in the boat and don't care about anything. I have wooden guns too but end up using the same one always (110 Euro).

Marco Melis

• Marco,

You shoot those nice wahoo with a 110? And, how close do you usually get to them? I enjoy your vids, you kill 'em!

Chase

Over the years, you learn how to fool them. I always use a single wrap of mono, so you can tell how close do I get to them. And yes, I use a 110 99% of the time. I have a small RIB and cannot afford to take more than one gun because normally we are 3 or 4 on it. Additionally, water is mostly murky in my place. ONLY when I can see that the water visibility is more that 100' (3-4 days a year), I take a longer wooden gun with me.

But again, my friend Miguel has a Speardiver Phantom 110 and its band pull is 10 cm longer than mine, so it's a true 120.

I've seen sailfish pretty close to shore in SE Florida too. Wherever there's a drop and bait, you can find pelagics.

Marco Melis