First time out for wahoo season

• Going to bore you all with every detail! :@
    Got out yesterday to the wahoo grounds finally!
    Night before i was on charter till almost 8pm, got home and started rigging both for fishing and spearing, using multiple techniques means multiplying the work exponentially!! Finished around midnight :(. Up at three AM to get going, got crew out to boat, and by the time we set up it it was after 5AM.

It was not a calm day, but sailboats like wind, and waves are no problem. Thing about sailboats is though, when you take the sails down and try fishing not so goooood in rough water.
    Thank you Carlos and Vaughan, my faithful crew from work who have never been offshore fishing much less offshore fishing in a sailboat, followed me into the breach :thumbsup2: ...7 knot sailing to fishing grounds nearly 20 miles offshore :laughing:

Trolled the weed line and picked up several dolphin fish which i used for bait :@ , got a bouy line going but wahoo keept cutting the mono leader and would not touch the wire leader, tried chunking but no good on a 40 ft 20 ton boat :laughing:
    So after a long morning of showing the boys different fishing methods and trying to keep my feet on a violently pitching deck I said "see ya" to the crew and jumped in!

We still had a buoy line in and i just hung around that while the guys chummed, 40'ish fellah turned up but he was shy and stayed deep. reset the buoy line and myself, on that drop they started showing up.
    Series of firsts... first time on my own ticket at the wahoo grounds, first time trying to fish off of a mono hull in indecent seas with 18k blowing, first time in the water with my koah 160 bluewater euro. BUT most importantly to the story, first time trying to fish decent sized fish with my reel, I was using a ulusub 100 meter reel which i rigged myself with over 350 ft of 1000lb 1.8 mm spectra. I am always nervous firing a big untried gun for the first time, but was especially nervous and what would happen if i got a big wahoo on my reel! All this doubt made me miss fish, or in some way hesitate on my first 3 shots... but cool breeze, I settled down and got comfortable with gun and my set up. Just in time for the biggest pair of wahoo i have been in the water with to date to show up!!

Well in the 60's for sure but probably 70's... I stalked the pair well and got a great shot on one from very close(the video of this happening is from the front gun camera and the mask camera, awesome!), decent shot on the hoo even though i blew the kill shot, and although i was in the spine area i had strung the fish so no pressure on its spine. All hell breaks lose! I am almost 50 ft down according to my watch and pumping for the surface while my frigging reel line disappears like you would not believe!! forget holding the line to the gun to slow it down! It spools me almost before i surface, fighting it to get some air, then it has me down a few inches before I kick back to get a good breath, i had a ureka moment and decided to put the bands through my arm and fight the fish with the bands acting as a shock absorber... fish wasnt having any of it, pulling hard all the time. Finally it calmed just a bit and I managed to get some line but then it ran hard again and that was it! fish gone :frustrated1: AND FYI, reeling in 350 ft of bloody line from straight down isnt fun! When i got to my terminal gear, it turns out my 900lb snap swivel was as straight as an arrow, the only thing keeping my spear on was the hook on the end of the snap.

So my giant is gone but shit happens :frustrated2:
    After that I missed another ho, have no idea how, and my camera gets blown off the gun... the wahoo swims back and tries to eat it!! :laughing3: I have to chase it off and recover my camera :laughing:
    Now comes the squad of dolphins all in the 10lb range, i ignore them waiting for the hoos to show up, well mister bull dolphin was clearly unhappy with not getting shot and charges my gun :wtf4: so hard he knocks my spear tip off :poke:
    Now all the fish are gone so i redeploy, and this time for the first time ever, put into the water with me, two flasher rigs i designed and built myself, man i should patent that wahoo crack! In minutes i am swarmed by 50lb'ers behaving aggressive and flashing me, so i took out the biggest one with a great shot from above damaging the spine :fanwave: heheheeheheheh... I yell fish on and the guys come over to see whats going on, green, didnt know better, the fish immediately tries to go under the boat, i start yelling and cussing and the lads get the message pretty quickly and shove off :troll1::angry4:
    First fish landed and its a beaut! back in the water but all gone.

Redeploy and got a little 25lb'er to come in close and boom dinner for me and the crew :thumbsup2:
    Cant remember the rest but went home with a few nice hoos and enough Dolphin for everyone THE END!

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Nice George!

That's why when I see the possibility of finding wahoos, I clip my floatline to the gun. They're too strong and their flesh is too soft.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Nice George!

That's why when I see the possibility of finding wahoos, I clip my floatline to the gun. They're too strong and their flesh is too soft.

Yeah Marco, I wanted to see what it was all about for myself, now i can say been there done that and bollocks to reels and pelagics... ;)

George Steele

• George - your new Koah 160 "Euro" has 4 bands? You should line up all of your spearguns and take a photo - will need a wide angle lens :laughing3:

Having spent lots and lots of time on sailboats - just gotta say it's tough but damn you went and did it. Great story & photos! :thumbsup2:

• George - your new Koah 160 "Euro" has 4 bands? You should line up all of your spearguns and take a photo - will need a wide angle lens :laughing3:

Having spent lots and lots of time on sailboats - just gotta say it's tough but damn you went and did it. Great story & photos! :thumbsup2:

hahahahahahahahah man i have 5 guns, two have 4 bands and one has five!! :D
    But looking for a like a 140 with 4 bands as i am getting better at getting close to fish and losing them because i am shooting them 2 close, its a good problem to have mind you! ;) Oscar a few times i have been a band short on a thick fish, better to much than to little.
    Yeah man only a sailor can appreciate the stupidity in doing what i did off of a sailboat..lol

George Steele

• hahahahahahahahah

Yeah man only a sailor can appreciate the stupidity in doing what i did off of a sailboat..lol

Having sailed Panama to Cabo before getting hit by a hurricane in the Sea of Cortez and diving for food up the coast - yeah a real bitch. I didn't have a choice but surely you do :laughing3::laughing::laughing:

You da man mon.

• Yeah Marco, I wanted to see what it was all about for myself, now i can say been there done that and bollocks to reels and pelagics... ;)

I had a buddy once who shot a big AJ with a reel and 150ft of line. Problem was, the bottom was 325' at this platform. he was on the surface yelling "fish on!"until the line ran out, then the gun was gone. It was my gun.

I think you did a great job getting pelajics with the reel gun. Shot Mackerel but cant imagine what shooting Wahoo is like.

Good job, especially with the new gun.

Keith

• NICE!!!! I also got a reel on my belt, I rarely if ever use it, but its nice to havr the option of being able to teather off and give the fish a bit more room before coming to a hard stop.
    I got a feeling you gona land some bigens!! This season

• I hope so JC, been toying with the idea of a belt reel just haven't gotten around to it yet but I really should. Looking at the video again, sending it to Jon at Ulusub I am almost starting to believe in the possibility it got eaten, it would explain my straighten 900lb snap swivel I think.

George Steele

• I hope so JC, been toying with the idea of a belt reel just haven't gotten around to it yet but I really should. Looking at the video again, sending it to Jon at Ulusub I am almost starting to believe in the possibility it got eaten, it would explain my straighten 900lb snap swivel I think.

You got big men in grey? Big Tiger or perhaps a big Oceanic White Tip? What other big tax collectors in your waters?

• You got big men in grey? Big Tiger or perhaps a big Oceanic White Tip? What other big tax collectors in your waters?

Not to often do I have sharks in the blue, mostly curious silky's sniff around, occasional white tip... never seen a tiger in the deep.
    Could be a big Silky.
    Oscar one day maybe, over some drinks we can trade some sailing stories :thumbsup2:

George Steele

• Not to often do I have sharks in the blue, mostly curious silky's sniff around, occasional white tip... never seen a tiger in the deep.
    Could be a big Silky.
    Oscar one day maybe, over some drinks we can trade some sailing stories :thumbsup2:

That would be fun - I did Panama to Baja in the early 60's then Panama to Venezuela a few years later. Survived a full huricane while 3 of us kept a 55 foot sailboat afloat. Did a lot of sailing in and around Panama on both Caribbean and Pacific sides. I imagine you have some Blue Water sailing under your belt. :toast:

• That would be fun - I did Panama to Baja in the early 60's then Panama to Venezuela a few years later. Survived a full huricane while 3 of us kept a 55 foot sailboat afloat. Did a lot of sailing in and around Panama on both Caribbean and Pacific sides. I imagine you have some Blue Water sailing under your belt. :toast:

Done a few miles, it's all have done since I was 18 Oscar, no real experience to talk about Pacific side, would love to spend a few years sailing the pacific when I am older. Used to do the Caribbean in winter and then the med in summer for many years, also worked for Swan in the early 90's in the Netherlands for awhile. Still sailing for a living but my 10 months a year sailing and racing is over... got a wife and dogs to keep me on tera forma [emoji4]

George Steele

• I've landed many Wahoo over the years but never one with a Float.. My take on what happened is not that a shark ate the fish. Ofcourse that could have happened. I saw the video. It's awesome. That one fish that got away.. that happens. Whether you are using a Float or a Big Reel, that can happen.. I don't think it was because George was using a reel that he lost the fish. I think it was due to shot placement and proximity. The Shot was high and through the meat. The shot was close and the shaft went clear through the fish and was strung on the shooting line.. The fish tore itself off..

What was the shooting line? Mono?

Plenty of big Wahoo have been taken using reels. One thing about using a reel is that you need to apply some pressure so the fish doesn't run away with all your line.. It's very hard to apply pressure to thin line. Any line under 2mm is very difficult to grasp wearing gloves and can cut you.

I like Reel fishing. I like to be able to jump in and check spots easily. I like the start to finish connection. Whether you are using a reel or a float you need a holding shot. Some holding shots will not injure the fish so much and they will still retain a lot of power. This is especially true if using a Slip Tip. If I'm fishing for Big Fish with a Reel I'll keep a Polybuoy on a clip in the boat. Those are quite easy to toss and I can have my buddy clip it onto the back of my gun if I feel like I could be in danger of getting spooled. I also have a Flasher on a buoy nearby. Sometimes I'll dive with a Bungee clipped onto the back of my gun. If I want to I can clip it onto my shooting line and unclip my reel and in 10 seconds I'm shooting breakaway.

The most important thing about Reel Fishing is to have a sharp knife and to be practiced in getting to it. You should never be worried about losing your Gun.. only your line and shaft.. Line Maintenance is the number one priority when fighting a fish using a reel. I try to swim forwards so that any line I recover can drift behind me. Floating Line is a must..

A lot of nice fish have been landed using Big reels. These include 112lb Wahoo. 100lb Yellowfin. 75lb Cobia. etc.. It's a different experience than using a float. Physically it is much more challenging.

After watching this video, my opinion is the fish was lost because the shot placement was high and the fish was strung on the shooting line. Some people will use Dyneema shooting lines.. these have a serrated effect on soft flesh.. I prefer 400lb Mono. 350ft of line was taken out because the line is 1.8mm and very difficult to grab and put any pressure on. We all occasionally lose a good one. I don't think a bungee and float would have made a difference in this fish. A lower shot would have made a difference.

• Absolutely true that the shot was high and it did string the fish sadly, new gun again being shot for the first time on a prize fish. But I got the gun figured out now, both the Wahoo I took after were crippled by my shots, both in the same spots that I shot the first one, shots were a tad lower on those Jon. I know you guys take everything on reels and some giant's as well but it was my first big pelagic on a reel and as you saw in the video it went straight down at about 50mph! No way to swim forward with it. I really appreciate the advice after you had seen the footage, next time I won't be so freaked out by the fish trying to take my gun away, I will do as you suggested and let it take me down and fight it back to the surface, in essence as you said "become the buoy" with a knife handy. I am always learning and happy to share my mistakes to help another diver. I am going to go again with a reel and land a big one for the experience, but I think if I had my buoys on I would have taken that fish, like you I have taken a lot of wahoo, and I believe where I shot that fish, if slack had been able to be given by the buoys going under it would have spent itself. The skin at the top of the hoos is very tough, many a hoo I have worked to the boat with only that skin holding the shaft, never landed one shot low though, ever! Anyway all academic at this point, different outcome if I was a better shot [emoji6] . I know my floats as well as you know your reels, time to man up on my part and get to intimately know my reels! By the way anyone thinking of buying a pelagic reel, I have bought the best euro reels on my journey with reels, the beautiful stainless steel jobs, the search ended with Jon's Ulusub 100 meter reel, lightweight and man can it take line and boy oh boy can it take a hard run by a big fish! I wasn't going to share my footage as fish that got away footage is all I have been posting lately but to illustrate Jon's reel in action I will post below. It is in two parts, one view from the front of the gun and the other from my mask. I have edited out how I bring the monster's in close to me...lol

George Steele

Edited once, last by Dude george ().