Wahoos! You're not the only one George....

• Well, same day we saw the whale shark went spearing to one of our hotpoints and I was able to land a nice little tuna (not sure if it is a yellowfin or big eye, anyone knows?) and three wahoos.

Ricardo got 2 and Ale was JUST ABOUT to land his second one (with a 70 cm railgun!).

The pictures. :cool2:

• Nice one! Beautiful! Looks like a blackfin tuna Marco.
    Someone tell that man to put on some pants!

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• I got to say Marco i am okay, but man its shit like shooting a blackfin that makes you legendary bro! those things dont get much over 20lb and are almost impossible to shoot unless in a big school!! :thumbsup2:
    :notworthy3:

George Steele

• It was in a big school.

Please stop staring at my friend's crotch. This is about the fish. ;)

:laughing:

Got to, got to see the video of you shooting the blackfin.
    [emoji1] I will try to contain myself!

George Steele

• No video my friend. I let Alessandro use my camera the day before and had no downloaded videos for 3 weeks and after the short whale shark video, the memory card was full.

You must have to believe what a fellow fisherman told you (even if most of the time is either exaggerated or a true lie) :laughing::rolleyes1:

BTW, are you totally sure it was a blackfin? Most people have told me it's a big eye. If you look, it has a yellow stripe along its body and the finlets are kinda yellow.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Could be, haven't looked at it very close.
    I believe the picture of the dead fish [emoji1] [emoji6]

George Steele

Edited once, last by Dude george ().

• Looks like a blackfin to me

"Coloration
    The blackfin tuna has a bluish-black back with gray to silver sides and a white belly. A broad, brown stripe is located along the upper portion of the eye. There is a prominent yellow to golden-colored lateral band present on the sides, usually fading upon death. Small iridescent areas located on the sides of the abdomen are silvery. This area is sometimes marked with vertical rows of pale dots along with slightly elongate spots between these rows. The dorsal finlets are dusky with bronzy reflections and white edges while the ventral finlets are usually gray. The absense of yellow on these finlets distiguishes the blackfin tuna from all other tunas. However, the dorsal finlets sometimes fade to yellow upon death."

George Steele

• Marco you gotta broaden your horizons. Sashimi is good....but Hawaiian poke brah.....that's da best. :thumbsup2: You suck though. I've never seen a tuna like that in the water much less had a shot at one. You're good badehh....

• Hey Marco, ALOHA! Sounds like you already found a recipe for Hawaiian Poke. I posted some pics and a recipe under the Hawaiian Forum labeled Hawaiian Poke earlier in the year in case you're ineterested. There are so many different kinds of poke made with various ingredients from a very simple traditional Hawaiian style of raw fish (ahi, nenue, etc) mixed with Hawaiian Salt (course salt harvested from the ground, course sea salt can be used too) and limu (a Hawaiian seaweed), and more exotic pan-pacific style poke using sesame oil, shoyu (soy sauce), red chili peppers, Maui onion.... The point of poke is to take succulent raw fish and make it even more succulent by adding these ingredients. Unlike ceviche or Tahitian poison Crüe (Tahitian ceviche made with lime juice and coconut milk/cream) the meat stays raw and uncooked by the ingredients. Lime juice in ceviche "cooks" the fish and changes its consistency. Poke keeps the fish raw and is even better enjoyed with fresh Waipio Poi! CHEEHO!

Looks like a bigeye. I've shot lots of small yellowfin we call Shibi, and they all had the same appearance as yours only not so large eyes. :crazy:

HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA
    MAHALO KE AKUA
    E MALAMA I KE KAI

• I saw a couple videos, one from a very good looking hawaiian girl, and made my own version.

I'm good at cooking and know how to mix flavors and textures very well :)

First of all, I cut the fish in cubes (which means poke, right?), then i sprinkled wit some coarse sea salt, chopped green onions, finely minced garlic and ginger, grated some orange skin, squezed half orange, drizzled soy sauce and sesame oil, sprinkled toasted sesame seeds and some chili pepper. Then, I added my personal touch, which was a perfectly riped avocado cut in cubes as well.

Then I cooked some "sushi style" rice and served it in 4 bowls pouring the "poke" over it.

For sure its not a "purist" version of poke, but it was fokin' delicious! :thumbsup2:

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.